Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

HarryBizzle

14 hours ago, Harsin said:

The fact that main gist of that article is 'Look at all the cosmetics you can acquire!' is a worrying sign.

I’m thinking that’s a big reason - along with cost - why they didn’t take the likeness licence. You - you being Marvel - don’t want your recognisable film characters made unrecognisable. Like how you couldn’t put Vader in pink Camo in battlefront and so on.

• 1 month later...

It looks ok. Combat is fairly samey, barring a few stylistic flourishes, but by far the weakest part looks to be the gunplay. Iron Man’s repulsors are all wrong, firing projectiles and making a weedy ‘plink, plink’ noise. I’m guessing that’s because they can’t use the sound effect from the movie? Whatever the case, it needs work and made his section look pretty dull. Similarly, Black Widow’s guns have no sense of ‘weight’ to their effects/reaction when an enemy is hit. 

I suppose it’s tricky to balance because you can’t just have your character ploughing through the enemies, but Thor taking three hammer hits to floor a generic goon was kind of ridiculous. Hulk was the only one that sporadically caught that sense of power and possibility that the game is obviously going for. They need to find a way to make the game more fantastical for the weaker characters as well, though I suspect that would mean going back to the drawing board. Hopefully things ramp up as the game goes on, but if that’s the case then it was a bad decision to show us a more pedestrian early stage. 

I watched up to where it switches from Thor on the ground to Iron Man in the air. Looked awful. The almost-but-not-quite likenesses are a weird choice. I guess commercially that they can't have/afford the actors' likenesses, but if they can't have those, it feels to me like they'd be better off just diverging. What they've gone for here makes it look like they're bad at their jobs.

And then the gameplay looked terrible. That Thor section of slow controls, lumpy attacks, taking three whacks to knock down a human doesn't fit, and then Iron Man's flying bit looked terrible.

All the characters look like they've been created in something like Skyrim to be honest. 

The hair/beards look all fake and rubbishy.

The daft thing is they could have gone completely the opposite with all the faces - they're all wearing the costumes everyone knows so it would have surely been a better choice.

• 1 month later...
On 11/06/2019 at 09:40, Nick R said:

My first assumption (hope!) for the character doing the narration was Kamala Khan/Ms Marvel.

And in that Resetera thread, they say that the Brazilian version of the trailer uses the actors who dub the MCU movies - and that it's narrated by the woman who voices Kamala in the Marvel Rising cartoon.

It's embiggening time! :omg:

Give that man a cigar.

I mean, the game itself still looks terrible in every other regard but fair play, I kinda dig the way they've gone with her here. It's enough to pique my interest finally.

Slightly.

I'd sooner just have an actual Ms Marvel game.

It could be a Saints Row style open world game where you protect Jersey City from crime and occasionally you get big set piece missions with cameos from Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain Marvel etc.

And there's an Xcom style strategy layer that plays out in time with the in game day and night cycle where you can assign Kamala's friends to do different tasks to advance the main story arc, or research new tech, or scout out villains' lairs.

That would be decent.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, that's killed my interest almost dead now. I just wanted this to be a single payer epic story with little to no resource management. The Arkham games manage it just fine. This is looking worse and worse with every reveal. I love Destiny, but I don't want or need another one ('tis partly why I dodged the massive Anthem bullet).

The Destiny model seems like such a poor fit for the license. Like, Destiny is like an RPG setting where you take your faceless player character, and have adventures in this massive SF universe - it's all about the setting and the lore. There's almost no story to speak of. The Avengers / MCU is all about the characters themselves, and their interaction with each other - it's all about the story. Having a game where you gradually build up your roster of characters doesn't really work when your characters are the Incredible Hulk and Tony Stark. Does anyone really want to see Iron Man scavenging gear so that he can craft a new glove with +5 fire resistance for three seconds after a Setpiece Kill? Does that seem like something Iron Man would really do?

This might work if you created a superhero yourself and could customise their powers and appearance, and Captain America and Black Widow or whoever occasionally turned up to help you in co-op missions. That would be pretty cool, and would keep the stature of the characters will letting you have a feeling of development and progression. As it is, I don't really see Captain America grinding out missions for vibranium so that he can create a new shield mod.

It's taken them about five years just to do this game, how long do you think it'd take them to make a game for each of the Avengers? You'd have to have a system like Activision's CoD merry-go-round, with multiple developers working in parallel, which would be ludicrously expensive.

I mean Sega did actually make games for the whole of Phase 1, they just didn't sell much and stopped just before Avengers blew up and made everything that came after it twice as successful. Just their usual luck.

Also games are much longer than films, so the point isn't even valid, yeah setting up like six characters and their arcs in 120 minutes might be a bit of an ask, but over 30 hours and you've basically just described any party-based RPG.

On 31/10/2019 at 16:41, RubberJohnny said:

Developers seemed to think Destiny would be far more popular than it is.

It cratered with 2, and yet Ubisoft and these others are now stuck with decisions about their lineup made years ago.

“Cratered” as in it’s the Ninth most played game of all time about a month after it launched on Steam? Or because it’s the fourth most played game on Steam right now, not including all the Xbox and PS4 players?

0ACC9EBF-3631-4887-8BA8-0CA63DF972BB.thumb.jpeg.5d1e4eaa0c62d102d1abd574686b6f12.jpeg

It’s absolutely insane how much people want to create narratives that certain major games have failed, no matter how divorced from reality that is. PUBG is also constantly accused of being a “dead game”. It’s fine if you don’t like things, but this delusional idea that if you call something a failure loudly enough it will become true is completely pointless.