Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

HarryBizzle

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Story trailer:

Spoiler

Thor with a "Hello my name is D. Blake" nametag!

This was their streamed event - I haven't watched it so I don't know if it contains much in addition to the above trailers:

37 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Starring:

Nathan Drake as Iron Man.

Joel Miller as The Hulk.

Nadine Ross as Black Widow.

We are getting to that point now with voice actors, aren't we? 

The guy who voices Thor is Travis Willingham, who also voiced the brother in Infamous Second Son, is best friends with Troy Baker (Joel but also the main character in Infamous Second Son) and married to Laura Bailey (Nadine Ross). It seems to be becoming a very cliquey close community with one or two big names. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t understand how they’ve made a game look expensive but cheap and tacky at the same time. 

Still feels like Morval’s Avengors. 

They should have either used different avengers or made them radically different. 

I think it's the animation, it's very 2010ish and it looks off with the more detailed character models (although they still also look like stunt doubles rather than actual character designs). Just seems really clunky. 

I mean is that Thor or someone's Geralt created character from Skyrim?

Chasing that GAAS dollar about 18 months after everyone had head enough it wasn't a great choice either...

... I'll still be getting it, unless it's completely garbage. I just wish they'd not looked at Destiny and decide that's just the ticket for this property.

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Lining this up for the interregnum after the end of the entire Avengers movie cycle, when nobody is talking about the brand at all for the first time in a decade, was an incredible move.

Surely part of the reason was for exactly this reason - a bit of a stop-gap to keep it in the public consciousness by using characters we are familiar with before the next round of films start popping out?

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Surely part of the reason was for exactly this reason - a bit of a stop-gap to keep it in the public consciousness by using characters we are familiar with before the next round of films start popping out?

I don’t think that was the plan, otherwise they might’ve made a game which had the movie characters in it or was at all interesting.

15 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It was also announced back in 2017, it’s hardly a quick cash in. It's a big tent pole release that they've hilariously bungled at every step so far,

And was known to be in development for years before that. 

I want a fun game where I can play as Iron Man dammit! Ultimate Alliance 3 was nearly there but gets a bit samey. I really want this to be good but I just wish Deus Ex hadn't been given up for this..

And give me Marvel Heroes back while you're at it Disney!

On 26/06/2020 at 13:53, Gabe said:

Nah, Marvel Studios are unlikely to think that way - this is a videogame. The Black Widow movie, an actual movie, would probably have been a stop gap before properly starting up the next phase. I can't imagine them giving a single fuck about what a random videogame does as long as the license brings in money. And the success of the movies is what determines that.

This is just a badly timed release with a troubled development and a terribly misjudged approach. Assuming it does as bad as it currently looks of course, you never know. But a Destiny like at the end of 2020 featuring your favorite heroes looking worse and less convincing than yer average cosplayer... I'm not optimistic.

• 1 month later...

Spider-Man will be a playable character in "early 2021", exclusive to the PlayStation version:

It’s never been a better time to be a spider-fan!  The team at Crystal Dynamics, along with our partners, are overjoyed that we get to be a part of this hero’s gaming journey.  We can’t wait for you to add Spider-Man to your Marvel’s Avengers roster in early 2021, and as we’ve promised before, he will be available at no additional cost to owners of the base game, exclusively on PlayStation.

Multiplatform characters are nothing new and to a certain degree fair enough. But Spider-Man is one of the most popular characters in the world and arguably core to the Avengers. It's not like they have an exclusive Sackboy or Nathan Drake or something, no they got Spider-Man. Note that Sony doesn't have the exclusive license to put him in videogames, just the movies, so yeah. This feels kinda shitty, more so than usual?

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Multiplatform characters are nothing new and to a certain degree fair enough. But Spider-Man is one of the most popular characters in the world and arguably core to the Avengers. It's not like they have an exclusive Sackboy or Nathan Drake or something, no they got Spider-Man. Note that Sony doesn't have the exclusive license to put him in videogames, just the movies, so yeah. This feels kinda shitty, more so than usual?

24 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Sorry to be a pedantic comic book super-nerd, but Spider-Man has never been a central character in the Avengers, and tends to only be tangentially related to them in the comics.

Yeah @mansizerooster is right, Spider-man is about as much as an Avenger as Wolverine is - occasionally as member of the team but never a regular.

He's a huge character yes but he's not really one of the Avengers