Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

He’s sure not going to be a big character in these Avengers. What’s going to be the explanation in the Xbox version, he’s trapped in litigation and can’t pop over to help?

Edit - or will it literally be a parallel universe where Spider-Man contractually never existed?

29 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Yeah @mansizerooster is right, Spider-man is about as much as an Avenger as Wolverine is - occasionally as member of the team but never a regular.

He's a huge character yes but he's not really one of the Avengers

And I would love to have Wolverine in this as some kind of unlockable character. I expect there will be paid Character DLC though rather than unlocked through game progression.

1 hour ago, mansizerooster said:

Sorry to be a pedantic comic book super-nerd, but Spider-Man has never been a central character in the Avengers, and tends to only be tangentially related to them in the comics.

I'm going to over pendantic you by pointing out that this game does everything it can to evoke the movies instead of the comics, and he's very much a big part of the MCU Avengers team. Not core, but the wider movie going audience associates him with that. It's a shitty move to leave such a big character out as an exclusive. Do an exclusive outfit if you must. But the entire character?? We're not talking about Ant-Man here, this is fucking Spider-Man! You can't make such a character exclusive in a multiplatform game. It's shitty. You make the fun bonus characters exclusive, you know like you throw Spawn or Link into Soulcalibur, but not make one of the main characters exclusive. You say Marvel, you say Spider-Man. It looks really shady and cynical.

• Upvote 3
49 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm going to over pendantic you by pointing out that this game does everything it can to evoke the movies instead of the comics, and he's very much a big part of the MCU Avengers team. Not core, but the wider movie going audience associates him with that. It's a shitty move to leave such a big character out as an exclusive. Do an exclusive outfit if you must. But the entire character?? We're not talking about Ant-Man here, this is fucking Spider-Man! You can't make such a character exclusive in a multiplatform game. It's shitty. You make the fun bonus characters exclusive, you know like you throw Spawn or Link into Soulcalibur, but not make one of the main characters exclusive. You say Marvel, you say Spider-Man. It looks really shady and cynical.

I don't really want to ague with you because fundamentally I agree that Spidey is a hugely important Marvel character - probably the most iconic infact an making him format specific DLC is some shady shit.

But even in the MCU, he is resolutely not an Avenger - his first solo movie climaxes with him deciding not to join the team much to Iron Man's chagrin.

In more prosaic thoughts, Spider-Man is a character owned both in film and digitally currently by Sony so the chances of him appearing and not being a PS exclusive were always slim one suspects

We know that Spidey can still appear on other consoles because:

7080117-l.jpg.aafe55bcdcbeb1b2fcbc25aae6e2066c.jpg

This is just meant to make a point to anyone thinking of going Xbox for next gen, I suppose. I'm not bothered about the game in the slightest but the move comes across as somewhat petty.

Yeah, this notion that Sony own the rights to the character in games is off base. Ultimate Alliance 3 is even published by Nintendo!

They're always trying to tie their brand to it of course. 

1 hour ago, Haribokart said:

I'm still not convinced that this game is going to be great, but Spider-Man being a part of it makes me a lot more interested.

:D

Yeah, it's a proper shitty move and actually puts me off the game more. Sony don't have any rights to the character outside of the movie universe and this version of the character has nothing to do with the one from the Insomniac game, so why is he exclusive? I hate this sort of crap - actively denying things to people who are willing to pay the same money for your game because it's on a different format is a shit. And I wasn't even planning on getting the game. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

I don't really want to ague with you because fundamentally I agree that Spidey is a hugely important Marvel character - probably the most iconic infact an making him format specific DLC is some shady shit.

But even in the MCU, he is resolutely not an Avenger - his first solo movie climaxes with him deciding not to join the team much to Iron Man's chagrin.

In more prosaic thoughts, Spider-Man is a character owned both in film and digitally currently by Sony so the chances of him appearing and not being a PS exclusive were always slim one suspects

"You're an Avenger now."

• Upvote 1

Perhaps Spiderman is only timed to Playstation? Agreed that it is shitty, even if that is the case but Sony have strong form for this kind of stuff these days, MS seems to have given up on bothering with that petty fight at least.

If it’s any consolation the themes of the all-platforms expansion line up have leaked:

Spoiler

Plumbing and personal hygiene

Music production

The Second World War

Online auctions with a cold

A poorly spell checked barber

Australia

Game doesn’t exactly sound inspiring.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/08/marvels-avengers-beta-preview/

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2020/08/04/marvels-avengers-beta-impressions-assembly-still-required

My early hours with Marvel’s Avengers left me cold. The combat feels stale, the art style is generic, the storytelling didn’t grab my attention, and the sense of character development didn’t leave me excited to move forward.

These kinds of games are always changing and evolving, so I absolutely wouldn't write off the game as a whole. But even as I plan to play more of the public beta in the coming days, I’m forced to offer caution at this juncture. A month before actual launch, the Avengers need a lot of work to be ready for the big fight ahead.

Anthemvengers Assemble!

They should have gone with a comic book artsyle. This horrid faux realistic one is only ever going to come off as a cheap knock-off of the MCU, not helped by how utterly generic it all looks. 

Also lol @ Black Widow's legendary outfit being a hoody and jeans...

• Upvote 1

I assume that the girl with the Thor style top and green hat is the new Ms Marvel? She has to have the lamest looking "legendary" outfit of the lot.

27 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Imagine The Avengers, but it’s not the ones you know and care about, and it’s an F2P version of Destiny, and it costs £60 to start.

Eh? 

Its very MCU but even considering the comic book history the core Avengers team tends to be Cap, Hulk, Thor and Iron Man who are all present and correct. Ms Marvel is playing the fresh faced outsider that puts the band back together.  The Spider-Man thing is DLC bullshit but he's not typically an Avenger .

Bah anyway I so still want this to be good, Crystal Dynamics  are a great developer and this has so much potential - as a retired Destiny addict with a love of third person  character action games this could really tickle most of my soft spots.

Bit yeah its all looking a bit bleak and well um Anthem - this was probably my most anticipated game of the Autumn but its not convinced me to lay down 50 notes for the Steam key  so far- still up for having a try of the beta mind.

I think the point he was making isn't that they're not the named heroes, but that they look like the Stars in their Eyes version. From the time when they let the sighted white woman do Stevie Wonder.

• Upvote 1

I think Ben nails it in the Easy Allies impressions:

Destiny works because it has the absolute best shooting of any console game. The key is that the game is a joy to play, so it can get away with asking you to repeat missions or them not being very interesting in terms of objectives. The combat in this looks very bland, and most impressions seem to confirm that, plus the idea that the characters all feel the same. If the combat isn’t incredible why would you want to do it hundreds of times to increase your numbers? Plus I love Destiny and I’m sick of it now.

7 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Its very MCU but even considering the comic book history the core Avengers team tends to be Cap, Hulk, Thor and Iron Man who are all present and correct. Ms Marvel is playing the fresh faced outsider that puts the band back together.  The Spider-Man thing is DLC bullshit but he's not typically an Avenger

That was probably a bit negative, but I keep wondering whether they're making a mistake assuming that The Avengers, the comics property, has the kind of game-selling popularity that the MCU and Spider-Man do.

52 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

That was probably a bit negative, but I keep wondering whether they're making a mistake assuming that The Avengers, the comics property, has the kind of game-selling popularity that the MCU and Spider-Man do.

Of course it doesn't, but that doesn't mean it's not a much richer source of inspiration and content to draw from than the films.