rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie John

FFVIII (EIGHT) remastered for PS4, Switch, XBone and Steam - out now

Fucksake, all this nostalgia shit instead of doing new things.

FF is series that has increasingly become hidebound - it used to be every one was unique except for a character named Cid and Chocobos, now it's every one is unique except for spells, classes, enemies, weapons, summons, and endless references and easter eggs to previous games in the series, to the point where FFXV goes out of its way to recreate old moment arguably at the expense of its own narrative.

Now they're not even doing anything new, just going "hey remember the old days" like some boring old fart who peaked in high school.

• Empathy 1

Eight had better music than seven. The orchestration was much better and there was far less PlayStation plinky plonk going on.

One of my issues with the way FF has developed is that after people responded well to the twists in FFVII, Square really doubled down on that aspect in the stories going forward and I remember the second half of FFVIII losing me as it became a series of increasingly silly and convoluted sub-Shyamalan reveals.

I never understood any of it. I remember the music, that 1-hit-kill dinosaur in the tutorial area park and a lot of edgy emo's.

So it’s episodic and on 2 blu ray discs. Is this just the first one? Of how many?

I'd totally play this again. Don't think I'd buy it if it's episodic though. Feel like they're already taking the piss a bit with FF7R being however many parts it is...

1 minute ago, Pandy said:

I'd totally play this again. Don't think I'd buy it if it's episodic though. Feel like they're already taking the piss a bit with FF7R being however many parts it is...

I'm pretty sure @Strafe has mixed this thread up with the FF VII (SEVEN) remake one (unless you knew that already and were being terribly ironic...).

Nope, I know FF7R is being done in episodes. I was replying to his point (whether he was right or wrong) that I think it'd be a mistake to make this episodic as well. Now I've thought about it though, they didn't do FFXII like that so I can't see why they'd do this that way :D 

1 hour ago, Mugman said:

They're rereleasing the games so that they can be played on new systems. Which is better than them being lost forever.

They’re not rereleasing them, they already did that a few years ago, they’re now going back to the well again again again.

I get your FFXV points, in the same way I got them every topic you've made them in like some boring old fart who peaked in the Force Awakens thread,  but you've picked the wrong lane here. 

I think you’re confusing me with someone else because I don’t think I’ve ever posted in that thread?

So this is a remaster (original game in HD), not a remake (Devil May Fantasy VII), right?

Too bad the VII and IX rereleases are not HD, that would have been a nice triumvirate for Switch-owning erstwhile Final Fantasists. But this should sit alongside them nicely. 

I doubt I'd have the patience for the draw system these days. If they can put in some shortcuts to draw loads at a time or something like that it might be worth another go.

But the plot was awful. Just remembered the whole Laguna thing. And some of those big reveals based on

Spoiler

everyone just conveniently having forgotten the pertinent details up to that point.

• Upvote 2

They're going to "fix" it aren't they? By that I mean the ability to break the game by spending drawing Demi loads of times is going to be nerfed

56 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm pretty sure @Strafe has mixed this thread up with the FF VII (SEVEN) remake one (unless you knew that already and were being terribly ironic...).

I was, sorry. Misread the thread. So the 7 release next year is just part 1?

15 minutes ago, wev said:

They're going to "fix" it aren't they? By that I mean the ability to break the game by spending drawing Demi loads of times is going to be nerfed

If their other recent remasters are anything to go by it's going to be the other way round, letting you fast forward the game while you're endlessly drawing magic so you can break everything faster.

I hope so as that was the main point of FFVIIIs battle system, I take it they didn't patch out stuff like the W-Item exploit in VIi? (Can't recall IX having anything like that in its original release). I know they put x4 speed in and no encounters as QoL improvements.

I hope you can still break the enemy balance by carding everything and running away.

• Upvote 1

I’d only barely got in to modern games with MGS and FF7 when this was released, so I think this was my first encounter with a major franchise going real weird and off-model. It left an impression. I have very warm memories of its particularly late-‘90s atmosphere, quirky soundtrack, and absolutely needless obscurity.

• Upvote 3

There were always rumours they had lost the code. Since that is now apparently not the case, why on earth has it taken this long? I'm all over this anyway - much more interested than I am in the FFVII remake.

edit - I always loved how trippy and weird it got, particularly the ending. I kind of saw it as a psychological mystery that had to be unravelled.

hated the 'we were all at kindergarten together and the baddie was our teacher' twist though

Also, Triple Triad is the greatest mini-game in the history of FF.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

They’re not rereleasing them, they already did that a few years ago

FFVIII has never been re-released because they (allegedly) lost the code.

This looks like an enhanced port, a la FFIX.

2 minutes ago, Darwock said:

There were always rumours they had lost the code. Since that is now apparently not the case, why on earth has it taken this long? I'm all over this anyway - much more interested than I am in the FFVII remake.

I wonder if they had lost significant parts of it that made a simple port impossible, but a ground up remake with new models etc justified the extra work.