rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie John

FFVIII (EIGHT) remastered for PS4, Switch, XBone and Steam - out now

I ended up buying it because I'm a weak man. What swayed me was the cheats that you can enable during battle. I couldn't face getting bahamut again otherwise.

Graphically they’ve done an okay job despite the shocking borders, but I miss the pixelated character models. I want to replay this but it might have to be the PS1 original.

On 07/09/2019 at 07:56, Hubertus Bigend said:

Graphically they’ve done an okay job despite the shocking borders, but I miss the pixelated character models. I want to replay this but it might have to be the PS1 original.

A hacked mini would also satisfy your 90s pixel needs good sir.

Just finished this btw.

There's something extremely satisfying about finishing a game 19 years after you first gave up on it. Although if I'd have known about the aura/limit break exploit all those years ago, I might've seen the ending on the original hardware.

Still, it was a blast to re-visit, and the ending movie with the cam footage was quite heartwarming actually.

• Upvote 2

If I'm reading it right, this is based on the original PC version, which had all the same problems (no rumble, no analogue, 15fps battle HUD, etc.). Which is crazy because that very same PC version is still available on Steam, alongside this 'Remastered' version, but it's £5 cheaper and can be easily modded.

Still, I'm glad it's available on other platforms and people are enjoying it. Even a graphically-inconsistent FFVIII with digital-only movement controls is worth a playthrough at least once. And they haven't fucked about with the music, which is wonderful. :)

I actually stopped a modded PC run when I heard this was being released, and I think this is still the better option overall, especially on the Switch. I'm sure this will get its own PC mods before long too, and you won't have to waste time modding in the proper music and stuff like that.

Yeah, I thought the issues would bother me, but you're right: this is the best way to play the game I think. Analog controls are sorely missed though.