Circuit Superstars (w/Forum Time Attacks)

R0b

riG_nhAy.png

I'm really looking forward to this. The game looks instantly appealing in an old-genre-polished-with-modern-resources sort of way and the chunky aesthetic evokes the charm of something like Nintendo Pocket Football Club. I'm hoping for a low-friction RC type handling and a robust local multiplayer mode. 

Love the look of this, I like that there seems to be an element of oversteer in the handling and seeing that little green/black car get twitchy at the end of that last clip suggests there could be some depth to the handling

• 1 year later...

This looks adorable, if it lives up to its potential I'll probably double-dip on PC and Switch.

(of course, right now it's making me want to go back and play classics of the genre. Though, as I'm an oddment, it's not one of the actual classics of the genre that my mind has settled on - not Super Off Road, Rock 'n' Roll Racing, Super Skidmarks et al. - no, the game I've suddenly got a hankering to play is Rage's somewhat obscure mid-90s DOS racer Power Drive. Which, it turns out, is obscure/licensing-hell-trapped enough to seemingly not be on any digital service. I may just have to configure DOSBox myself to play it)

Power Drive isn't that obscure - I have the Amiga or Mega Drive (I forget which - possibly both!) version.

Obscure as in the sense that 'nobody seems to care about it any more' - even the Wikipedia entry for it is distressingly light:

651139932_PowerDrivewiki.thumb.png.fefefc8a442fae8c763802bfe87a6240.png

I seem to recall it getting middling-to-poor reviews in the PC magazines at the time, at least, and I get the feeling it isn't well-loved. And I've not been able to find even one decent video of its PC gameplay. But I liked it!

Yeah this is fun. It’s buggering hard once you complete the first tournament/cup though. Being EA it’s obvs very bare bones but happy to chuck them a tenner to hopefully get it finished. Nice 

I've picked this up too, it's made a nice early impression. Well, once I got through the menus at least, the first screen didn't seem to let me do anything for a while, I'm still not sure what I pressed. The menus are possibly the most obvious early access thing about it. 

Handling is lovely, the cars are all distinct from each other but pleasingly slidey and fun to drive. Looking forward to testing some same-screen multiplayer soon.

Aside from the unfinished feel of the menus, the big improvement would be AI - the cars just stick to a path and don't care if you're on it. But everything about it screams fun, want to get better at it so I can survive in the online modes (first race did NOT go well)

After a bit more play I'm not entirely convinced by this.  There's some sort of weirdness going on with the steering. Coming out of a corner I'm feeling a strange pull which is difficult to correct.  Also, past the amateur races, if you drop down the grid it's very difficult to claim positions back, which is exacerbated by the ruthless consequences of collisions.  Being barged into and consequently spun out by the AI is very frustrating.

There are the makings of an excellent game here but for now it's a refund job.

I've just been playing one-on-one with my 7 year old since my first go, so not been fighting AI much. It's been all good for multiplayer, the split screen provides the usual challenge of seeing what corners are coming up but nothing unusual there. Mainly it's that he squeals for me to "waaaaiiiit" if I go past him or he crashes but as soon as I let him go in front he's all crowing and talking smack. Bloody kids.

I've been feeling a similar level of disappointment with this first release but I think most of that I can attribute to the AI making racing frustrating right now. After turning the game off in frustration the other day I've since gone back and made two changes which have increased my enjoyment...

1. Turn off the AI completely and treat it like a time-trial challenge for now. Just racing against the clock is far more satisfying than jockeying with unaware AI drivers
2. I've had a lot more success by avoiding the brakes completely. I'm just using the engine-braking of releasing the accelerator and my cornering seems to feel a lot more controlled. 

Not sure if that helps anyone out but I think there's a lot of promise in this so it'd be nice to not let it die on arrival.

Some cars are good with engine-braking, some do need some brake in sharper turns I think. The lorry for sure! Yeah, I've still not played more with AI and I suspect you're right, until that improves the game will work nicely for multiplayer or timetrials. Hopefully they've got enough players to improve the important stuff quickly and keep momentum, it would be a pity if if everyone forgot about it.

After getting a better feel for things I strayed into Arcade Mode and found myself trouncing the AI levels that previously beat me and rather enjoying myself. You can really feel the tires starting to get eaten away as you throw the car about so there's a really nice physics system underneath it all. Carefully choosing when to push the tires before pitting on the longer races added a really nice meta and the 3rd Arcade Challenge (muscle cars) was a real effort to protect the rubber.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

it's "out" now!

I've not played for a little while, surprised to see the addition of the Top Gear (tm) Test Track! Anyone had a go, how's the AI now? I know they did some work on it since the early access began.

Bought this last night after @bignigesent me the trailer I’m a sucker for these games and having lived off GP almost exclusively this year £15 seemed reasonable for a punt - only had a brief crack at the weekly time attack but it definitely nails a lot of the things I want in a game like this - was consistently improving my time lap on lap and it has cracking ghost options.

• R0b changed the title to Circuit Superstars (w/Forum Time Attacks)