IGNORED

Circuit Superstars (w/Forum Time Attacks)

R0b

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

So the pitch on this is an almost sim like model underneath the hood with a cutesy chunky arcade like aesthetic on top ?

Depending on how far you go with 'almost sim', yes. I wouldn't want to put anyone off by suggesting it's even nearly as hard to learn as Assetto Corsa Competizione or Dirt Rally or something. But you do have to slow down for corners and pick good racing lines to win, and if you smash your car up too much it will get slower and require a pitstop. Tyres will wear out from all the screeching around turns in longer races as well, which is again fixable in the pits. The actual driving model is very pleasing, feels like the right amount of weight, different cars handle differently and so on.

For £15 I didn't think too long about this, watched a few YouTube vids including an interview with the (small) team behind it and they were talking about how it's been a 6y labour of love and what they wanted to make - something with great handling, wheel to wheel racing, room to improve as a player but no gimmicks. 

You can really feel it from the moment you try the opening entry level GP - it's pretty hard and I was bouncing round all over the place but I never felt I was fighting the  handling model, like I did in Art of Rally which I binned inside 10mins. You just get so much feel from the subtle rumble and get faster and faster every lap. Using the analogue accelerator feels essential to feather it round corners.

First time round I was back of the pack every race, next time I aced all 4 by a long distance sliding effortlessly round most of the track, but you need real focus to stay on the line, can lose your line and lap in an instant - the cutesy look really hides what appears a subtle and detailed handling model. 

Quick view is this could be quite special.

7 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

How's the viewing angle on this? Can you see enough of the track ahead of you?

plenty for me, and i’m usually bothered by that, camera pulls out as you gain speed to show more

it is really noticeable though how knowing the circuit helps as you try to go for the fastest laps - again its not a full sim by any means but its not an old school isometric racer either

getting your lines right and carrying speed really are key to stay ahead of the pack

The cars just feel alive in your hands, and the different classes feel so different.

The little Caterham’s are brilliant, but I’m finding the Super Trucks a right handful, though did make me think of Ivan Ironman Stuart for the first time in decades.

Put a couple of hours in and overall this is brilliant, it feels such a refined handling model with some proper depth and learning curve. On top of that there is a real feeling of wheel to wheel racing with the AI and not much evidence I've spotted of rubber banding, you really pay for going into bends too aggressively and lose speed and places.

I'd say the graphic look screams 'arcadey' but that isn't the feel to me, the old trick of screaming into the bends up the inside and using the other cars as brakes rarely works, you usually lose lots of places and once off the lowest skill level catching up from last to even 11th place is quite tough, no wall riding round the outside either.

To give a balanced impression I'd mention there are no restarts in the main single play GP mode, fuck it up and you live with the consequences, no rewind either. This is pure racing with not even a handbrake let alone power ups. It can get quite hectic in the early bends of a race and a couple of times I've got spun round, stuck in track furniture and the whole race is screwed on the first bend.

I'll also mention that some of the circuits do need learning as my eye is initially taken off the course to a run off area or pit lane entry, for the most part signposting and knowing where to go is a breeze but its caught me out a couple of times - especially on the Top Gear circuit which seems quite confusing in layout.

It's quite its own thing and pretty refreshing - structurally its very old school with single player GPs thru all the vehicle types and rising skill levels, lots of TT options and an online mode I've not tried yet. Graphically its sort of old school but with fancy next gen polish, and the physics/handling feels pretty sophisticated and like there is a lot going on.

Bargain at £15.

17 minutes ago, Sane said:

Any word on a Switch version?

They mentioned it in an interview I watched on Youtube, said focus goes to Playstation & Switch releases now but didn't mention timeline.

I suspect it'll be quite hobbled by not have analogue triggers, they seem quite important to feathering a slide round bends or holding your line.

I’ve never had an issue with the Switch and racing games, you’re just constantly on/off the throttle and brake to manage it. I imagine it must depend on how well the game translates that though. Rush Rally Origins for instance has plenty drifting etc. and feels really nice on the Switch.

Yeah I'm playing on a Xbox One pad and I noticed I tend to blat the throttle on/off more than find myself at steady increments. Probably to my own detriment! But it is gonna be plenty playable I'm sure.

Just ran through a few of the GPs in Pro difficulty (about halfway up the difficulty stages). Good fun, I can win on the earlier GP series and get battered later on when I know the tracks and cars less well. The AI does still tend to be quite aggressive about getting onto their line even if that does mean blocking you rather rudely but it hasn't done anything that feels unfair. It's also quite fallible by itself at times, I saw two or three of them have a tangle that left one stuck on the pitwall having to reverse out and another forced down the pitlane at the speed limit, highly amusing.

Just stick with it and the handling really clicks I found.

I’m not somebody who enjoys TTing usually but just spent half an hour on the weekly truck TT and it’s brilliant, getting such a feel for the vehicle and racing lines and shaving chunks off my time hitting a bend right and carrying speed.

Got into the top 175 with a 29.896s lap so put myself against the best ghost, they got same vehicle and are so quick I can’t keep them on the screen visible after a few turns.

Anybody wants some friend times to compare just send me a friend request.

I'm on PC/Steam - so not sure I can be friends with you Xbox lot (technically...  I'm sure you're all amazing!)

Is there any interest in starting a little leader board on the forum itself, so we can compare times?

How about on the Top Gear Time Attack.

I'll start: 

Valver (PC)     30.998

6 minutes ago, Ry said:

Tempted to buy this now. Looks lovely. 

Is it good then? Does it have online multiplayer?

It’s tough, read my posts above. If you want micro machines or that ilk it’s not that.

What it is happens to be fantastic but you need to know what you’re buying into.

On 13/10/2021 at 09:44, Valver said:

Purchased.  Lost an hour of time to it this morning and was late for work as a result. 

What finer accolade can a game receive?!

Split up with a partner.

On 13/10/2021 at 09:22, milko said:

Depending on how far you go with 'almost sim', yes. I wouldn't want to put anyone off by suggesting it's even nearly as hard to learn as Assetto Corsa Competizione or Dirt Rally or something. But you do have to slow down for corners and pick good racing lines to win, and if you smash your car up too much it will get slower and require a pitstop. Tyres will wear out from all the screeching around turns in longer races as well, which is again fixable in the pits. The actual driving model is very pleasing, feels like the right amount of weight, different cars handle differently and so on.

Yeah, it felt very Gran Turismo to me. Sim lite.

I'l persist but something in my head/hands really struggles with the layout of the top gear track, the car is high powered and proper twitchy and I keep getting the bits of track that get re/cycled in different directions wrong, despite having seen it on the tv hundreds of times

Amazing how you can improve tour laps on this as you get to grips with car/circuit

Gone from 40+ on Top Gear to 32.926 in just a few laps, obviously loads more in that time. 

Not helpful if I quit and go back in that my ghost still takes out the cones showing the way !

• R0b changed the title to Circuit Superstars (w/Forum Time Attacks)