IGNORED

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Breath of the Wild 2) 12th May 2023

GwiDan

3 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I was hoping for an entirely new overworld to explore so I'm hoping it doesn't take place in Breath of the Wild's Hyrule again as that panoramic landscape shot seemed to suggest. The whole game taking place underground doesn't seem feasible either. What an odd reveal.

Yeah but consider the start of Majora's Mask.

39 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I was hoping for an entirely new overworld to explore so I'm hoping it doesn't take place in Breath of the Wild's Hyrule again as that panoramic landscape shot seemed to suggest. The whole game taking place underground doesn't seem feasible either. What an odd reveal.

Me too - and I still am. That castle really is taking off. Where's it going to go, 1 km away?

That teaser is fucking brilliant, man. Heavy Majora vibes - the music especially. That sort of atonal reversed choir is like something from the N64 games. The texture of it - has that warm, fiuzzy N64-sound. 

So this is what it feels like to actually look forward to a new Zelda game!

I'm curious to see if this goes for an OOT:MM style switch in scale and mood. The subterrenean environment of the teaser, and expanding catacombs beneath the castle, could lend itself to a full-on dungeon crawl, which I could see working very well - really doubling down on the physics puzzles and combat. On the other hand, if they're focussing in I worry that the writing, as with MM, won't live up to a more intimate story-led environment. Or perhaps they'll stick to the design of BoTW entirely.

Whatever the case, I'm pretty excited for 2 Breath 2 Wild.

53 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

tenor.gif.898d179221232d8d57e19461b5534337.gif

Looks great hopefully it should be late next year, they will probably have already been working on it for a while and reusing the BOTW engine should make for faster dev time. 

Edit: in the trailer it sounds like some of the music is being played backwards, anyone tried reversing it? 

Looks like some graphical improvements have been made to the engine as well. Seemed to be more texture detail and improved lighting. Not too surprising considering they have had time to work on the engine and take more advantage of the switch and its extra memory etc. 

As this is being developed solely for the Switch and doesn't have to work on the Wii U, I wonder if they'll be able to do things they couldn't before? I mean, I'm sure they will be, but I wonder where that little extra oomph will be targeted?

1 hour ago, RaoulSilva said:

Looks great hopefully it should be late next year, they will probably have already been working on it for a while and reusing the BOTW engine should make for faster dev time. 

Edit: in the trailer it sounds like some of the music is being played backwards, anyone tried reversing it? 

It's just gobbledegook backwards if you reverse it. There's a video on youtube.

That's the Twilight Princess Ganondorf being resurrected presumably. I mean, it has to be with that magic glowing hand placed on exactly the same glowing weak spot Link rammed the master sword into at the end of the game.

Why isn’t this thread more lively? One of the best games ever made is getting a sequel.

They better not fuck this up. I still go back to BOTW now and then just to enjoy the world. The prospect of a sequel is a bit bewildering. How are they going to improve on the original? 

11 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Why isn’t this thread more lively? One of the best games ever made is getting a sequel.

They better not fuck this up. I still go back to BOTW now and then just to enjoy the world. The prospect of a sequel is a bit bewildering. How are they going to improve on the original? 

Prepare to be bewildered by an even better sequel then. There's load of room for improvement surely. Understandably as Breath of the Wild was a new direction for the series.

In most areas, but if you're into dungeons in Zelda then it's quite clear where improvements can be made. They actually did make them with the DLC. 

Link and Zelda try and rebuild Hyrule. After the castle starts moving they investigate underground - beneath said castle - and end up on a journey to the centre of the earth, jukes Verne style.

The bull is a big part of the game and carries your inventory and needs to be managed. You’ll possibly play as both characters which you can select, maybe even simultaneously or have Zelda as an AI partner.

It brings world peace.

5 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

Looks like some graphical improvements have been made to the engine as well. Seemed to be more texture detail and improved lighting. Not too surprising considering they have had time to work on the engine and take more advantage of the switch and its extra memory etc. 

It’s a cutscene and all the cutscenes in BotW were prerendered. I wouldn’t infer too much from technical aspects.

Anyway, I’ll repost what I thought in the E3 thread:

I don’t know about that rumour but that’s my guess from the trailer. Overworld is largely unchanged from before (though people are up to new stuff in the towns and so on), but there’s a huge underworld with giant caverns and probably “proper” dungeons.

A return to the overworld/underworld theme of the original Zelda 1.

Also, the fact that Zelda has had a haircut suggests that she maybe playable or at least more active than previously. Seems like the most likely reason they would change her hairstyle is to make it easier to animate her without hair flapping about and clipping through stuff.

12 hours ago, ann coulter said:

It looks like it’s taking off to float up to the remains of Skyward Sword’s world.

10 hours ago, APM said:

As this is being developed solely for the Switch and doesn't have to work on the Wii U, I wonder if they'll be able to do things they couldn't before? I mean, I'm sure they will be, but I wonder where that little extra oomph will be targeted?

Is the Switch actually noticeably more powerful than the Wii U? Most of the ports look pretty similar to the original releases.

BoTW is my favourite game ever but wake me up when this has a release date announced please.

This is Nintendo we’re talking about, they announced Metroid two years ago and so far we’ve seen nothing but a logo unless I’m mistaken. I’m growing increasingly tired of being teased by first party Nintendo titles and then going through the rollercoaster of excitement to disappointment, hoping we’re going to find out more about a title and it’s launch only to get nothing for years. 

I’m in for this day 1, but I refuse to get excited for it anytime soon. 

1 minute ago, bridger said:

BoTW is my favourite game ever but wake me up when this has a release date announced please.

This is Nintendo we’re talking about, they announced Metroid two years ago and so far we’ve seen nothing but a logo unless I’m mistaken. I’m growing increasingly tired of being teased by first party Nintendo titles and then going through the rollercoaster of excitement to disappointment, hoping we’re going to find out more about a title and it’s launch only to get nothing for years. 

I’m in for this day 1, but I refuse to get excited for it anytime soon. 

This has happened with one game. (That they openly admitted was scrapped and restarted)

27 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

This has happened with one game. (That they openly admitted was scrapped and restarted)

They mentioned a new Pikmin is supposedly being developed aaaaaages ago.........which seems to have vanished into thin air. They also pretty much just showed a logo for Bayo 3, which seems an age ago now too and that also seems to have gone up in smoke. :/

Don’t even get me started on Wave Race, F-Zero etc! 

• Pob changed the title to Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Breath of the Wild 2) 12th May 2023