IGNORED

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Breath of the Wild 2) 12th May 2023

GwiDan

6 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

They mentioned a new Pikmin is supposedly being developed aaaaaages ago.........which seems to have vanished into thin air. They also pretty much just showed a logo for Bayo 3, which seems an age ago now too and that also seems to have gone up in smoke. :/

Don’t even get me started on Wave Race, F-Zero etc! 

I don’t think they announced any of those and Bayo 3 is Platinum, not 1st party.

12 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I don’t think they announced any of those and Bayo 3 is Platinum, not 1st party.

Miyamoto was claiming Pikmin 4 (not the 3ds game) was “nearing completion” something daft like 3yrs ago!!!

Yep, obviously Bayo is made by Platinum but Nintendo have been treating it as a 1st party title and it was their choice to announce it and include pretty much nothing but a logo in one of their Directs. It’s vanished off the map ever since. 

And......no, they’ve not announced a new Wave Race or F-Zero.....which is my point! :)

If it’s set entirely underground I’m calling an expansion for cooking to include vitamin D supplements to stave off the effects of rickets. 

Very exciting, but this has to be a couple of years away surely?

Also - I don’t think it’ll be quite the enormous game BotW was. That was a once in a (console) generation achievement. This will surely by necessity be a smaller scale title - not to say it won’t be brilliant, which it of course will. 

18 minutes ago, skittles said:

This would be very cool if it's set underground in the BOTW universe.

I disagree. Much of what made BOTW as brilliant as it was were the huge open spaces and endless panoramas, feeling the figurative breath of the wild on the wind that you could glide about on at your will. An underground, interior environment would feel very claustrophobic and a big step back if you ask me.

I'm hoping for either a new world to explore entirely or, if not, then a much older (or newer, if it's a prequel) version of BOTW's world where the landscape has changed significantly but you can still see remnants of what was there before, like how Dark Souls 3 harks back to DS1. Having said that, the original BOTW's world is pretty ruinous already, so it would be cool to see it in all its original splendour.

49 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I disagree. Much of what made BOTW as brilliant as it was were the huge open spaces and endless panoramas, feeling the figurative breath of the wild on the wind that you could glide about on at your will. An underground, interior environment would feel very claustrophobic and a big step back if you ask me.

I'm hoping for either a new world to explore entirely or, if not, then a much older (or newer, if it's a prequel) version of BOTW's world where the landscape has changed significantly but you can still see remnants of what was there before, like how Dark Souls 3 harks back to DS1. Having said that, the original BOTW's world is pretty ruinous already, so it would be cool to see it in all its original splendour.

THIS!!!!!

It does look like the Castle is taking off though. Maybe a nod to the Hyrule of Skyward Sword? Either way it better have proper old school Ocarina style dungeons!

What was so fresh about BotW was that it didn’t have any nods to previous ‘canon’, just a few references to previous characters like Beadle. I hope the next game stays out of that territory

I hope this game gives us a new world to explore, perhaps smaller in scale because I don’t think I’ll have even finished all BotW DLC by 2020, but with a developed skill set that allows the player to interact with the world in new ways. 

Swimming underwater was mentioned and I’d definitely like to see that. Exploring an underwater realm was a development I was waiting for in BotW but never came. 

It did really feel like both Link and Zelda being playable is likely. Maybe one trapped beneath the ground in an upside-down netherworld where changes up above affect below and vice-versa? I'd like that. The discordant music definitely felt like a nod to that sort of thing.

I'm very excited for it. Im gonna play BotW again.

I’ve gone back to BOTW recently. I never went out of my way to bother with the side quests originally. What felt trivial on my initial playthrough is a now welcome incentive to savour Hyrule once more.

It was only a few days ago that I finally got to wear:

Majora’s mask

I doubt that’s a spoiler now or that it ever was, but better to be safe than sorry.

I didnt like BOTW. 

I hope they change a lot and then i might be interested. If its a essentially a reskin with the same gameplay mechanics then i cant be arsed.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I doubt they'd catch the lightening in the bottle twice. They'd have to make a Dark Souls to BOTW's Demons Souls. Its more likely to be Dark Souls 2 (or even 3, which for all is brilliance isn't as good as the original). 

I'd much rather see them mix it up and try to capture a bit more shock of the new. It's like the EAD Tokyo - whatever they do will be brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Darren said:

This reminded me I never actually finished the original. I did all the divine beasts and then went wandering around looking for shrines, and eventually got out of the habit of playing before ever approaching the castle. So I thought I'd better put that right.

But my Zelda-mad daughter insisted that I should take the opportunity to start again and do it all from scratch, and promised to help out with hints and taking over for tricky bosses (she had to with one of the divine beast bosses last time, I wonder how many I'll need her for this time?), so for her benefit I started it all over again last night. I'd forgotten all the controls and my reflexes are worse than ever, but that sense of freedom in that massive world, there's nothing like it.

During the direct last night she screamed "Demise!!!" at one point, then went into a monologue about the lore and Skyward Sword and all sorts of stuff, so I think it's fair to say she's beyond excited for this.

Is middle-aged gaming that point at which your children are the ones helping you out rather than the other way round? :(

19 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I can't wait to have another 100 hour adventure. The switch might well end up with 2 of the best games of all time. 

Well, a 20 hour adventure with 80 hours of glorious wandering around, exploring Hyrule, just messing about.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Is middle-aged gaming that point at which your children are the ones helping you out rather than the other way round? :(

I'm a very casual gamer these days and this has been increasingly the case for a few years now. Anything involving quick reflexes and lots of different buttons is a real challenge now - it's not that I couldn't learn and improve through practice, just that I don't have the time for it that the kids do.

Well I say kids, this particular daughter is 20 now :o .

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

There’s plenty of scope for huge open spaces underground. Massive, Mines of Moria-style caverns with glittering crystals all over the place. Like that bit in Skyrim when you go down some caves and then come out in a giant area with a town and castles and all sorts that’s like a smaller open world all by itself.

I hope it's set in a new area, either above or below, discovering the landscape was one of my favourite things in the first one so I would like to see more of that rather than it being on the Hyrule map from BotW.

I'd be really surprised if there wasn't a few dungeons in this one. 

I'm so excited for it. BotW was the game that got me back into gaming, I loved it so much.

• Pob changed the title to Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Breath of the Wild 2) 12th May 2023