rllmuk

Konami announces mini PC Engine & Turbografx

7 hours ago, strider said:

I heartily recommend getting one from Japan. With regards to the plug issue I simply plugged mine into the TV's USB port and it works great.

Is there anyway to get one that doesn't cost near 400 quid like Amazon?

7 hours ago, strider said:

I heartily recommend getting one from Japan. With regards to the plug issue I simply plugged mine into the TV's USB port and it works great.

Thanks Darren, I've just ordered one and will use the TV USB.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Rex Grossman said:

Thanks Darren, I've just ordered one and will use the TV USB.

I hope you enjoy it. It's a neat little system and it's scratched my itch for wanting to buy a machine again :)

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, strider said:

I hope you enjoy it. It's a neat little system and it's scratched my itch for wanting to buy a machine again :)

Cheers, I've never played on a real one. A colleague of mine ended up owning the one used in CVG (or was it MM?) next to the bag of Skips though.

2 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Cheers, I've never played on a real one. A colleague of mine ended up owning the one used in CVG (or was it MM?) next to the bag of Skips though.

That's a great story. I doubt you'll be disappointed, particularly if you enjoy shmups - there's some belters on it.

23 minutes ago, Jazz Glands said:

Where did people oredr from to get it in under a week and with import tax pe-paid? Play-Asia or Amazon.jp?

I can’t say this enough in this thread.

amazon Japan, £110 delivered with pre paid tax all in

they deliver in 4 days from clicking “buy”

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, ulala said:

Well mine is slightly more expensive and they have said 8 days but all in all it’s only a bit more costly than the Euro version, looks better and will arrive sooner.

On 19/05/2020 at 21:33, Lorfarius said:

Would have thought it requires proper testing to meet EU/UK standards for USB power like that?

Sorry, been tied up with work....

But what is standard USB...? It's not as standard as you might think...

I can tell you I had two, the first I used the Pi PSU with and it never recognised the controller. The second worked fine with a Kindle PSU, but the idiot I am I wondered if the Pi PSU was the problem so tried it and then it also didn't recognise the controls. 

Now the Pi PSU pushes out 2.5 Amps, which I assumed would depend on the draw, but it actually seems to push that out regardless. 

If you plug it into an older phone charger, TV or low ampage PSU you'll likely be OK. Confirmed working options seem to be the ones you can get with the NES Mini etc. 

But I thought the Pi PSU would be 'standard' and I'm going to suggest it isn't and is to be avoided.

Might be mine is faulty, but it's £75 to send one back to Amazon and I'd rather save someone else the cost!

• Upvote 1

I probably can't justify buying one as I have a pc attached to telly with retro arch on it. Never played a pc engine game. What games are really still worth playing? Might down load a room or two over the week end . I do like an arcade shooter!

2 hours ago, bplus said:

I probably can't justify buying one as I have a pc attached to telly with retro arch on it. Never played a pc engine game. What games are really still worth playing? Might down load a room or two over the week end . I do like an arcade shooter!

you like an arcade shooter and have never played a pc engine game?

ooof!

1 hour ago, ulala said:

you like an arcade shooter and have never played a pc engine game?

ooof!

Nope :)

Played r type on various other things, starting with a spectrum !

20 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Well mine is slightly more expensive and they have said 8 days but all in all it’s only a bit more costly than the Euro version, looks better and will arrive sooner.

21 hours ago, ulala said:

Does it have all the english language versions? 

Talking of English - Is there a version of the japanese amazon in English? I can't make head nor tail of it.

I've been sitting with the english version pre-ordered since august.

4 hours ago, bplus said:

For shooters try Galaga 88, Blazing Lazers and Soldier Blade to start off with. There's loads more but you can't go wrong with those three.

28 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Talking of English - Is there a version of the japanese amazon in English? I can't make head nor tail of it.

there are a few game differences between each of the three consoles, salamander is on the Europe /  USA versions, and two extra text heavy Japanese games are on the pc engine version.

all can have the language of the menu changed to English 

you can buy the European version , which was never released here (!) from Japan, it’s the same machine, you just pay postage and vat.

i got the Japanese one as that’s how I remember the console, but it lacks the turbo button of the other pads so I’ll get the 8bit do wireless one 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Some of the games are in Japanese even if you buy the EU version as I understand it. e.g. Snatcher.

Shmup recommendations: As well as the Soldier series - Coryoon, Lords/Gate of Thunder, Hana Taaka Daka (Long-nosed Goblin), Magical Chase are all really good. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/In-English/b?ie=UTF8&node=1094656

You need to open a separate Amazon Jp account though (very easy)

3 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

When I went to Amazon Japan it offered me an option to view everything in English as soon as I arrived.

3 hours ago, matt0 said:

For shooters try Galaga 88, Blazing Lazers and Soldier Blade to start off with. There's loads more but you can't go wrong with those three.

Cheers!

In general are there any "you won't get a better version of this anywhere else" type games. 

1 hour ago, bplus said:

Cheers!

In general are there any "you won't get a better version of this anywhere else" type games. 

Galaga 88 has a better arcade version but the other two are system exclusives, along with the other Star Soldier games (Super Star Soldier and Final Soldier).

Outside of shmups there's the best version of Parasol Stars.

• Upvote 1

It's brilliant to see the discussion between getting the Japanese original and the EU version, it's like back in the day when some people were adamant on getting the grey import, while others would just stick with the PAL version!

I've never owned a PC Engine but it's a system that I've played a lot through emulation and still do to this day. Maybe that says something in that I've got almost zero nostalgia for it, but loved how it looked and the games were amazing - even now. There's something about the PC Engine that captures the innocence of 8-bit games but has enough of a 16-bit aesthetic for them to look outstanding. 

While you can get "better" versions of the games (including the arcade originals) I think the PC Engine really captures that mid-to-late 80s era of strangely alluring Japanese console and arcade gaming that seemed just out of reach to reach to most kids in the UK at the time (unlike the NEO GEO), which you could only read about in the likes of A.C.E. and C&VG (yeah, R-Type on the Spectrum was good... but nothing compared to the PC Engine.)

Thing is in this case, the Core Grafx version that we are getting over here was never officially released in the UK, so it’s a Japanese model anyway. Sort of :blink2: