IGNORED

PC Engine Mini

deKay

• 1 month later...

I picked up one of these and it is so lovely! I never knew the PC Engine and its back catalog but finding a lot of the games endearing and Rondo of Blood is outstanding. Such a nice machine with a very charming interface. I wish it came with 2 controllers or at least, additional (official) ones were easy to source. I’m playing it a lot with my 2y old daughter who has really taken to Bonk!

I picked up the 8bit-do wireless controller (which awesomely comes in all three territories' flavours so you can choose the Euro one to match the console). A bit pricey at £25 off Amazon, but I haven't touched the official one since. Still got all the turbo options etc. Recommended! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting a pc engine mini but was wondering how does it compare to emulators like PCE Emu or Retroarch?

I would like to get the Japanese model as that's the one that I recall from wanting when I was younger (but without the need for a stepdown converter). I assume this is useable for someone who can't read japanese. I was looking at the extra controllers and they seem in short supply but that 8 bit do controller looks perfect. I was surprised Mr. Heli isn't included as I associated that with the PC Engine for some reason. Coincidentally I was looking Friday and noticed it is also delisted on virtual console on the wii u at the moment.

Yeah, I'd say the emulation is about as good as something like Magic Engine (which I still use), although the scanline filter isn't nearly as nice. The only real issue I had was with the controller, which was a lot stiffer than my original PCE controllers (perhaps for obvious reasons), but I believe these are very variable and that you could end up with much softer ones. If you have a Brook Retro Board or a Brook PCE/MD converter, you can use those on the Mini IIRC. I'm hoping to try it out soon as playing Aldynes or PCE Gradius II with an arcade stick feels amazing.

(I don't think the Retro Board has anything mapped for the autofire switches, but the converter does.)

On 14/03/2021 at 14:26, ulala said:

emulation is fine, it’s a shame it’s not hacked yet 

Which was another question I had. I agree that's a pity though. Surprising considering most of the other mini consoles were hacked (or at least that was my impression)

On 14/03/2021 at 14:36, Klatrymadon said:

Magic Engine

I was wondering if that was still the best pc emulator.  I think I used that back when I was in university and that was a long time ago now.

It probably isn't, but I've never had any issues with it (nice display options, seemingly no lag, runs everything I throw at it, etc). Higan and Retroarch will be far more up-to-date but are also more fiddly - Magic Engine is very plug-and-play by comparison.

I'm also slightly aghast at how long has passed since my undergrad (2006-2009)!

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened and connected my shiny new CoreGrafx, but I have found that the controller’s ‘Run’ button is not starting games when plugged into the bottom USB slot. I don’t think it’s ‘dead’, as pressing it will select the game and launch the demo, and pressing both the Run + Select buttons together takes me back to the system menu. The ‘Run’ button responds correctly (i.e. starts the game) when the controller is plugged into the top USB slot.

Before I request a returns, could someone with the UK version kindly check if they can reproduce this issue?

Top port is player 1, bottom player 2. Use the top port unless you are playing two player games.

Remember the original had a single controller port! 

I still panic I'll burn them out with the wrong PSU, but here I think you're running into how it was originally designed :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been able to fix a mini where the usb ports have gone? Bought two 8bitdo controllers on friday to use with it and just never worked. Tried the original controller and nothing.

Messaged amazon and they were no help whatsoever even though its not quite a year old

Amazon will not replace mine for me and offered me a £24 refund, told me to message webmaster@awesomecycles.com to get help. This is a US based motorcycle training company but do appear on a konami services list.

I'm well wassed off about this as it isn't even a year old

Bought from amazon last June. I took shots of the conversation. Two different reps have now said this to me.

I'm pretty sure they know there is a major issue with these, each time i was passed onto a tech person. Each time i was asked if you had any cleaning alcohol. I imagine most people haven't but as most retro owners know, that stuff is a life saver. I even suggested using deoxit gold but they didnt know what that was.

20210411_084228.jpg.5f8cf8fa77fc92259cedeed9b2ea3011.jpg

20210411_084234.jpg.6b0fc5ce7491e2ed041df1b8558073e8.jpg

20210411_084338.jpg.3dc4c1d4978e7e887be4e7026022b361.jpg

At this point i was getting pretty antsy having sat thorough a 1 hour 15 minute chat last night and getting nowhere.

20210411_084359.jpg.48d05d410c8a7ab4c36e947034678c6f.jpg

20210411_084409.jpg.e6a1607e1c9ae3140633a2bbcf4a7aee.jpg

and this is where awesomecycles.com come in. Its all getting weird now.

20210411_084418.jpg.ed1737393b28ff964a18eb3c3d8d4d7e.jpg

turns out it maybe Konami i'm just confused now.

20210411_084439.jpg.88920f2c40402877993f61e8dbc486d0.jpg

My typing was failing me here and i meant to say... "that's a US number and I'm not in the US"

Then she calls me Brain and here i think we both lose the will to live.

So this is where I am, I've message the motorcycle training school to see if they can help me with my Core Grafx mini.

49 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Well this has all certainly cooled my desire to buy one alongside hearing that the version of snatcher included is still entirely in Japanese.

Don't be put off, it's a great little machine with a refreshingly eclectic selection of games. Just be sure to only use the USB cable it comes with. 

10 hours ago, Let us measure said:

They seem to have problems if you use an external power plug, but I'm not sure why you would.

Because your TV doesn't have usb?  Because you're plugging it into a monitor?

8 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Don't be put off, it's a great little machine with a refreshingly eclectic selection of games. Just be sure to only use the USB cable it comes with. 

The cable is irrelevant, it's that it dies with perfectly standard power bricks and doesn't come with one.

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

Because your TV doesn't have usb?  Because you're plugging it into a monitor?

The cable is irrelevant, it's that it dies with perfectly standard power bricks and doesn't come with one.

Yeah, fair enough. Don't think anyone should be put off buying one if they've got the means to plug it in via the TV though. 

It may be worth pointing out that the PC Engine Mini does do a weird thing where one of it's USB ports is exclusively for player one's pad and the other for player two. If you're playing solo and plug your pad into the wrong port, it sits there and does nothing. I thought mine had blown at one point until I tried plugging the pad into the other USB port and it suddenly sprang to life again. It's a bit of a weird little system really.