PC Engine Mini

So I'm tempted to buy this from Japan. I assume its easy enough to get it set up in English?

Any other things I need to be aware off. I can see @S0L had issues with usb plug. Will an old Sony phone charger be ok or just stick with the TV power USB?

This was always a machine of luxury and rarity when I was a kid reading CVG and mean machines. 

Also tempted to get one of these mainly as I only ever saw pictures in magazines at the time of a Japanese curio that would play near arcade perfect versions of shooters - mainly R-Type and some of the Konami titles. However the Switch has great near arcade perfect versions of those shooters these days so holding off at the moment. 

Looking forward to reading about the experiences everyone has with this though! 

Have given this about half an hour now.

First impressions are great - image and audio quality both very good -

When it comes to image, I've found that the best option is the fullscreen (but not stretched) with scanlines one. Scanlines on the PCE Mini have a slightly softer look to them than the more pinsharp scanlines of M2's recent shmup releases, and I think M2 has made the best choices for both their shmup releases and this PC Engine mini; scanlines on the PCE Mini look pretty natural and somewhat like how it would on the TVs of that time.

No audio lag that I noticed.

Frontend etc. is of course great as expected. Looking forward to getting some more games onto it soon.

8 hours ago, cassidy said:

So I'm tempted to buy this from Japan. I assume its easy enough to get it set up in English?

Any other things I need to be aware off. I can see @S0L had issues with usb plug. Will an old Sony phone charger be ok or just stick with the TV power USB?

This was always a machine of luxury and rarity when I was a kid reading CVG and mean machines. 

Switching to English was easy, the initial boot screen gives you a choice of languages, pick English and you're off and running. 

I still suggest caution against Raspberry Pi power supplies, before I borked the second one, I ran it off a Kindle Fire plug, but I reckon running from TV, low amp mobile charger or indeed something that safely runs a SNES/NES mini should be fine. 

I'm jealous as it was a lovely bit of kit, but sending them back is £75 a time was getting expensive. Plus now I have £75 Amazon JP gift credit as they opted to refund me via that than back to my credit card for the second shipping refund and I don't need more temptation to look at bizarre Japanese hardware!

I just switch cables between this and my SNES classic. Mainly as I’m out on inputs on my receiver and TV though.
I might try a multi USB plug and multi HDMI for use with my classic consoles soon, if I find one good enough through my research

Well I'm impressed. Use an old phone charger and plugged in the hdmi and boom all sorted and playing Lord's of Thunder in seconds. 

Music and graphics look spot on, though I've never played on a pc engine. 

Gonna have to practice R-type a bit I think, I forgot how hard it was and I used to be able to one credit it back in the 80's.

14 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Gonna have to practice R-type a bit I think, I forgot how hard it was and I used to be able to one credit it back in the 80's.

Surprising how hard most of the older games are! Although could be down to ageing reflexes too :) I've been playing through Salamander recently and the fourth level is insane.... Think you forget the little details and tricks of each machine....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Ahh, while I agree the PC Engine is indeed the best looking console of the three, it wouldn't be the console I remember from my childhood - the Core Grafx was quite popular in France back in the day, so I was well aware of its existence.

I've always preferred the look of the Core Grafx II over the white one personally. There's something a bit cool and cyberpunk about it, especially when it's plugged into a Super CD-ROM2.

I kept my preorder for the UK version.

I'd like to clarify: Can I use my Raspberry Pi power supply (5V 3A) for this, or would that destroy it?

It's easy enough to dig out another phone charger, but these mini consoles get put in a spot where the Retropie usually sits and it's convenient to plug them into the 5V 3A.