Ghostwire: Tokyo - Tango Gameworks' latest excl. on PS5

1560155533_ghostwire_1200169.jpg

After strange disappearances hit Tokyo’s population, it’s up to you to uncover the source and purge the city of a strange, new evil. Armed with your own mysterious abilities, you will face down the occult, unravel conspiracy theories and experience urban legends like never before.

Don’t fear the unknown. Attack it. 

Ghostwire: Tokyo is an action-adventure video game played from a first-person perspective. The player can use various psychic and paranormal abilities to defeat the ghosts and spirits haunting Tokyo. Combat director Shinichiro Hara described the combat as "karate meets magic", as the player character utilizes hand movements inspired by Kuji-kiri hand gestures to cast spells. When an enemy loses most of their health, its core is exposed and the player can use takedown moves to destroy it, killing the spirit.

GhostWire: Tokyo is the newest title by Tango Gameworks, the developer behind The Evil Within. The game was first revealed during Bethesda’s 2019 E3 press conference.

Tango Gameworks is known for its work in the horror game genre and while this game definitely seems to have some spooky vibes, Tango notes that this is more of an action-adventure game.

Official reveal trailer:

Announced exclusively for PS5.

The Evil Within 1 and 2 have some excellent super natural stuff going on, and since The Evil Within 2 is my Game of the Whatever Year It Came Out, I am ridiculously looking forward to this.

46 minutes ago, df0 said:

The Evil Within 1 and 2 have some excellent super natural stuff going on, and since The Evil Within 2 is my Game of the Whatever Year It Came Out, I am ridiculously looking forward to this.

Yeah agreed this looks incredible and I can't bloody wait.

• 11 months later...
On 13/06/2019 at 01:55, Keyboard Koala said:

No platforms announced suggests maybe it'll be a launch title for the next-gen consoles.

Indeed, albeit excl. on PS5.

Gameplay reveal trailer:

• 3 weeks later...

LTTP, but: I just found out this isn't being directed by cute, wholesome, genderbent Hideo Kojima anymore :( Not that I don't trust Mikami in the director role, but, ironically, The Evil Within is one of his few games I really couldn't get on with.

I hope this delivers. A proper first-person game set in the city the entirety of the cyberpunk genre was based on, is everything I wanted.

I didn't expect first person and I'm not sure I want it, but who knows, it might play like a dream. Hard to get a feeling for how it plays based on that trailer. Art direction is cool though.

On 02/07/2020 at 19:03, Ozzy Womandias said:

The Evil Within is one of his few games I really couldn't get on with.

Don't let that put you off the sequel, it's way, way better. I'm saying this as someone who really didn't like TEW 1.

On 03/07/2020 at 17:44, Kayin Amoh said:

Don't let that put you off the sequel, it's way, way better. I'm saying this as someone who really didn't like TEW 1.

Then why did the sequel get a lower score in EDGE ? Is EDGE wrong sometimes?! Are there no more certitudes??

200.gif

5 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Then why did the sequel get a lower score in EDGE ? Is EDGE wrong sometimes?! Are there no more certitudes??

200.gif

Did Edge give TEW2 a 6, by any chance? Scientists have proved that Edge 6's are the common man's 10.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just to balance things out, I disliked TEW2 just as much as TEW1 :)

Is it because there's no sneaking/stealth :sherlock:

28 minutes ago, df0 said:

Is it because there's no sneaking/stealth :sherlock:

There is in fact. But the presence of stealth by itself does not a good game make. In most cases it's the opposite, in fact! I don't want to be a downer, so I'll just say that TEW2 was just as disappointing for me as TEW1 but for completely different reasons. The sequel is indeed different but satisfaction is not guaranteed - especially if, like me, you come to the game late after playing the likes of Resi 7 and Resi 2 Remàke.

Edit: imho of course :)