rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Keyboard Koala

Contra: Rogue Corps - Contra: Versial

Contra-Rogue-Corps.jpeg

Konami’s classic run-and-gun franchise Contra seems to be back. And no, it's not a pachinko machine. On Tuesday, Konami  revealed Contra Rogue Corps, a new over-the-top entry in the series.

Two years after the Alien Wars had ended, a mysterious area called the Damned City arose from the grounds where the final battles took place. 
Ruthless Fiends roamed the area, bringing a world full of madness.
In the midst of chaos, 5 scoundrels emerge...they are the Rogue Corps.
They do not look anything like heroes of justice, but have they come to save humanity, or maybe they are looking to hit the jackpot by searching the Damned City for treasures...either way, the fate of the world is in their hands.

Contra Rogue Corps trades the traditional side-scrolling perspective for a top-down isometric view of the action, like previously done in Super C and Contra 3: The Alien Wars. Players will shoot up Damned City, both as classic Contra characters like Kaiser, a mutated bug and ... a panda bear? 

Official E3 2019 trailer:

Contra Rogue Corps will feature single-player and multiplayer gameplay when it launches on September 26.

The kindest thing to to be said about this is that they haven’t gone down the obvious route. 16-bit pixel art would have been the obvious route. The correct route. The successful route.

Instead they’ve chosen to evoke memories of the darkest days of the franchise.

• Upvote 6

I'm wary of the tone (it threatens to be more obnoxiously exploitative than usual) and do think it's ugly in the wrong ways, but I'm excited to see the influence of not only the gameplay but also the larger-than-life outlandishness of Neo Contra. There are various bits of Hard Corps and Legacy of War in there too, so it's a pretty intriguing mix. What gives me hope is that it's being produced by Nobuya Nakazato, a long-time producer and director in the series who has worked on many of its highlights. At any rate it looks as committed to thrilling setpieces and spectacle as all the best Contras. Fingers crossed!

Edit: the stuff about "gear and loot" mentioned here doesn't sound too good, but the game looks more promising in this other footage

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

Why does a Contra game need damage numbers and health bars? 

I think it’s clear it isn’t a Contra game.

Looks like a sequel to the ps1 Contra, but who would want that? 

Also how does this get to use the Contra name, but Hard Corp: Uprising didn't? 

Having read the interview with Nobuya Nakazato in the Contra Anniversary Collection digital book about his time making Contra III and then seeing him speak as lead designer for this, I’m willing to give him a chance. This is a proud man who cares about Contra.

No, I’m blaming the guy on the left for everything that’s wrong.

I've gone from thinking it looks okay and that people were being too harsh, to realising that I'm only defending it because I want a new Contra. If this was just called "Rogue Corps" I'd quickly dismiss it as rubbish.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, shirubagan said:

It looks like it’s a lot of fun.

Agreed. It's ugly as sin but it looks mechanically solid. I'm all for franchises moving in fresh directions and trying something new (unless it's a 3D Strider).

• Upvote 1

On 14/06/2019 at 11:00, marsh said:

Are Konami really putting their name on this?

Konami will put their name to a slimy dog shite if there is 50p to made in it. 

• Upvote 1

Hoping this is like a triple fried egg chilli chutney sandwich.

Unfortunately the biggest offender is the price tag, which will put A LOT of people off. This will harm the potential of online, which I think would be a big part of having the most fun with the game.

Sorry, how can anyone watch any of the videos of this so far and defend it? It looks terrible! I’m all for optimism in most cases in this world of constant negativity bombardment, but this game has shown nothing to deserve it. 

• Upvote 2