IGNORED

Fire Emblem: Three Houses, out now

Stanley

Supports in Fire Emblem were originally active if the paired character was within three squares of the other. I'm not sure how it works in this game. Linked attacks however are a new thing that work a bit differently, if you have several characters in direct attack range of an enemy then that enemy suffers a drop in avoid if I remember correctly. Having units in reach of each other also allows you do do a gambit boost where your gambits become more powerful.

As for the lord class. Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri are the only characters out of your recruits who can access Lord classes as is the case with protagonists in almost every Fire Emblem game.

Thanks. So do the bonuses stack? Lets say I have Edelgard attacking an enemy 1 square in front, but 3 allies with Support ranks with her are also in range  (an archer 2 squares away, a swordsman who is adjacent but not in range of the enemy, and an assassin who is adjacent to the enemy but flanking). Would she get 3 support stat buffs when attacking that enemy? And I haven't noticed but do Support bonuses apply when defending as well, and if so does it follow the same rules?

I have definitely been playing this the wrong way. Everyone was seriously underlevelled going into one the big battles early in the game and I only just scraped through. I think it's time for some practice battles to build my characters levels.

I am house Blue. I have lost some students that were clearly so fucking useless I can’t remember their names. I have recruited Catherine and Shamira. I am officially unstoppable now.

Certifications... I get there is no longer a benefit in maxing a class before switching to a higher class from a stats perspective but do the skill bonuses you get by maxing a class carry when you move up? For example, Dmitri has maxed Soldier for me which gives +1 Lances and I have him certified for Cavalier. Does that +1 Lances carry when I move him to Cavalier because I have maxed Soldier first?

Im trying to work out if there is any benefit in staying with the lower classes to max these bonuses before switching up and the bonuses carrying is the only benefit I can see, if it does actually work that way?

Increble game, just amazing sucking all my free time and at month 10 having played 16 hours I am just scraping the surface. Could not be happier with it!!

It can. The Skill you attain for maxing a class is transferrable, though remember you can only have a max of 5 equipped at a given time.

I appear to have missed a chance to deepen my bond (attain Rank C) with Rhea. Hope it hasn't locked me out of anything, though I guess I can re-explore that in NG+

Cheers @Cheyenne will get a look at them in more detail to make sure I get the best ones equipped.

Ive played quite a few missions with Catherine. Ow and have yet to see her take a hit. Her and Shamira feel incredibly overpowered, basically one shotting everything and killing almost every one that attacks with counters. Have I managed to recruit them earlier than I really should or is this just the way of it?

I started on Hard precisely because I heard Normal was too easy and then lost the practice battle against the other houses :doh:

Having never played a Fire Emblem game before I'm finding it pretty overwhelming so far. There's so many stats and options and menu screens. I'm sure it'll become second nature eventually but it's not terribly newbie-friendly.

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

Was anyone able to confirm if you can change the difficulty on new game+? At Chapter 8 on Normal the combat has become so easy there's barely any strategy involved.

You can always change it in the options menu when outside of battle maps.

32 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

You can always change it in the options menu when outside of battle maps.

I'm on the calendar screen and when I access the options menu the difficulty option is greyed out. 'You cannot adjust the game's difficulty.'

7 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I'm on the calendar screen and when I access the options menu the difficulty option is greyed out. 'You cannot adjust the game's difficulty.'

Guess you can only do it if selecting hard mode from the beginning then.

Yep you can't raise the difficulty, only lower it, which is utterly stupid. 4 hours in I realised it was too easy on Normal and so had to restart the entire game on Hard. Thank God for the skippable cutscenes!

When I made that decision to restart the game, I'd been looking online for advice about whether Normal got too easy. And everyone said Hard Classic is the way to go unless you are a strategy game newbie. Normal apparently gets way too easy later on, and on Hard you still have the rewind feature to bail you out of trouble. Plus of course you can lower the difficulty if you're struggling on Hard.

8 chapters in though, that would be pretty painful to have to restart the game from there, owch. And why do they have all these OP characters? My Bayleth and Edelgard are already beasts and I think I'm able to recruit Catherine soon too. I usually try and avoid attacking with them too much as they kill everything and steal the exp, they're both about 3 or 4 levels higher than everyone else already.

There’s a good reason for why you can’t raise it. The time system works differently on hard mode and you can only battle 1-3 times per weekend depending on professor level. On normal you don’t have that same restriction.

I’d imagine this applies to other parts of the game also. Traditionally FE games have lower exp gains on higher difficulties.

If you could jump to hard at will it’d break the balancing.

One thing about Normal - the middle of the game especially is a real breeze, but the missions towards the end can still be moderately challenging. They at least get you planning a bit and being careful to match up with the right enemies. You also get plenty of rewinds by then though, so still not actually difficult. And Byleth was still massively overpowered.

13 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

More the opposite, you could switch between difficulties and make hard too easy by level grinding between months.

I mean, that still sounds better than the current alternative - risking hard mode being "too easy" is presumably still preferable to people who picked normal and found that easier still. Does hard mode have some sort of unlocks associated with it that they wanted to gate behind an "appropriate" level of challenge?

10 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

More the opposite, you could switch between difficulties and make hard too easy by level grinding between months.

Accidently, you mean? I don't know why anyone who switched to Hard because the game was too easy would then switch back and forth to grind on Normal and make it the same level of easy they were trying to escape. I'm not sure why it would matter if that was possible anyway.

I'm too far in to restart, unfortunately. I'm really digging the game all the same, so I'll stick the difficulty up for subsequent playthroughs with the other two Houses. Anyone about to start the game should be aware that Normal on this is more of an Enjoy the Story mode.

Probably the right idea having normal being easy. There are a lot of new people to the game, going by the sales, so having them getting slaughtered while trying to get their heads around all the systems would be too much. 

11 hours ago, Majora said:

I started on Hard precisely because I heard Normal was too easy and then lost the practice battle against the other houses :doh:

Having never played a Fire Emblem game before I'm finding it pretty overwhelming so far. There's so many stats and options and menu screens. I'm sure it'll become second nature eventually but it's not terribly newbie-friendly.

I have a similar feeling to you @Majora, also playing on hard having never played a FE game before. I think i need to invest a bit of time reading all the stat menus to try to get a handle on how my characters should upgrade, what the best weapons to use and what abilities/classes they should have.

Currently just past the first proper battle at the min, and lost a few of my characters (Hubert, Caspar, Bernadetta) stupidly after wasting my rewinds as well. :doh:
Might have to replay the battle as i saved prior just in case. 

How important/worried should i be about losing characters?, I think im just afraid if losing someone who might be crucial to have at a later stage.

I’m happy playing on normal and grinding away until everything is trivial. It’s not a game type I go into for any kind of challenge, just the weird satisfaction I get from seeing the numbers go up.