Football Thread 2019/2020

gospvg

19 minutes ago, phresh said:

The rules don't need to be changed, the issue has been that as the speed of the game has increased an increasing number of poor decisions were being made. It was actually commentators and fans who started analysing every offside down to the last frame, arguably going against the original spirit or the rule, which was never intended to halt play because a striker was 1mm ahead of the last defender.

I disagree that the system needs to have this level of accuracy either, the offside rule in rugby is only eyeballed by the referee or TV match official to make sure it isn't a clear and obvious advantage. I'd argue that if you get to the point where you're having to draw lines across the pitch then it goes against the spirit of the rule anyway.

and cricket has had umpires call for years, for the “clear and obvious cases”

Pretty entertaining Old Firm game ends with Rangers winning to go within blah blah blah. Two sendings off at the end, one player, one angry looking man who could have been a parent or coach or partisan bystander.

Steven Gerrard is having it large on the pitch, quite the scenes.

2 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Maybe I just don't understand the way it's being displayed, but I see nothing in this freeze frame to suggest Pukki is offside. The lines are level. If nothing else they could change the way the graphics are produced so simple folk like me know what the VAR guy is actually basing his decision on.

IMG_20191228_183431.jpg

You can see how ridiculous the current situation with offside is in that image. If we're just going from a 2D image like that, then the "any part of the body you can score with" rule is incompatible with the technology. It's the lines that are drawn from the body part to the grass that are the problem. You can't draw that accurately on a 2D image. It doesn't take into account the angle of Pukki's body beyond the way he's leaning in the specific 2D plane that the photo is taken from. You can't accurately judge exactly where the ground is, so if you stopped the vertical line from Pukki a millimeter either side of the defender's line it would seem just as accurate.

I'm explaining this really badly, I think. The bottom line is that unless they have access to some kind of super-accurate 3D imaging system that allows them to rotate the image around (and I'm pretty sure they don't) then you can't judge a marginal offside through the current VAR system. That goal was not offside. They're using images like the above to justify mistakes, not to make decisions more accurately. 

19 hours ago, bradigor said:

VAR is a good technology run by imbeciles. 

Yep.  As anyone watching Chelsea - Arsenal just got a perfect demonstation of.

When Lee fucking Dixon thinks Arsenal should have had a penalty awarded against them then they should have.

10 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

You can see how ridiculous the current situation with offside is in that image. If we're just going from a 2D image like that, then the "any part of the body you can score with" rule is incompatible with the technology. It's the lines that are drawn from the body part to the grass that are the problem. You can't draw that accurately on a 2D image. It doesn't take into account the angle of Pukki's body beyond the way he's leaning in the specific 2D plane that the photo is taken from. You can't accurately judge exactly where the ground is, so if you stopped the vertical line from Pukki a millimeter either side of the defender's line it would seem just as accurate.

I'm explaining this really badly, I think. The bottom line is that unless they have access to some kind of super-accurate 3D imaging system that allows them to rotate the image around (and I'm pretty sure they don't) then you can't judge a marginal offside through the current VAR system. That goal was not offside. They're using images like the above to justify mistakes, not to make decisions more accurately. 

Nah I think you explained it well enough, you're right that it is just an arbitrary line from whatever point of the shoulder they've decided to wherever they think the ground is, in whatever they assume is the most direct route. They're possibly not even taking it from the defenders furthest point back, how have they decided his knee is in front of his shoulder?

Even if they could just display it in such a way that there's a red line and a blue line and the red line is in front of the blue line, so it's offside...that would help. But they can't, it's that close that I assume the lines merge into one. Or do they not show the blue line it it's offside. I dunno.

It's all stupid.

Wow.

After Arsenal opened the scoring they did look good - high pressing and some great passion.

My thought was that they'd run out of steam because they hadn't played at this place before.

Looks like it's come to that, they need some fitness.

15 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

B team or at least 50% B team for Wolves at Liverpool. Thanks to the TV companies. 

This is a ridiculous period, especially with another round of league fixtures being squeezed in before the FA Cup next weekend. 

Hope today is still competitive. Wolves are a good side to watch, and would have liked to see how your first team got on at Anfield.

Just now, Dudley said:

Jorginho should be off, the only reason he isn't is because Lacazette distracted the ref with an epic meltdown which distracted the ref from doing so.

He is why they may well lose this now.

Can't blame Lacazette for the ref not doing his job. If he's so easily distracted he shouldn't be officiating. Shocking decision.

Doesn't excuse the howler for the first goal or the shit defending for the second, mind.

34 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

B team or at least 50% B team for Wolves at Liverpool. Thanks to the TV companies. 

Ooh that's in danger of being a freebie for Liverpool.  Then again at this point if you're going to do it with any team might as well be Liverpool, you're not getting anything off them anyway.