rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

3 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

So, Crystal Palace have got Tosun on loan from Everton, and it looks like this might clear the way for Benteke to go back to Villa to replace Wesley. Twitter seems to be full of Villa fans excited about this.

Nostalgia is evidently one hell of a drug. The man has scored 4 PL goals in the last 2½ seasons. Amazingly, he's somehow stayed in the talent-stuffed Belgian national team throughout all that, and got a contract extension in October.

Dedryck Boyata is a sometimes-OK but usually shitty centre back who played several games in the World Cup for Belgium. It's bizarre some of the selections they make considering the embarrassment of riches available. 

3 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

So, Crystal Palace have got Tosun on loan from Everton, and it looks like this might clear the way for Benteke to go back to Villa to replace Wesley. Twitter seems to be full of Villa fans excited about this.

Nostalgia is evidently one hell of a drug. The man has scored 4 PL goals in the last 2½ seasons. Amazingly, he's somehow stayed in the talent-stuffed Belgian national team throughout all that, and got a contract extension in October.

As a card carrying Villa fan I don't get it at all.  Most of us seem to be well aware that Benteke is a shadow of the player we sold to Liverpool, but he was absolutely phenomenal for us during his time at Villa Park (49 in 101 for us, and he played half of 2013/14 with an injury) so people are expecting to see that again despite all the evidence showing that the current iteration of Christian Benteke couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.  We desperately need a striker. We needed a striker before Wesley got injured and now it's almost at crisis point, but c'mon,  surely we can do better than Benteke? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

As a card carrying Villa fan I don't get it at all.  Most of us seem to be well aware that Benteke is a shadow of the player we sold to Liverpool, but he was absolutely phenomenal for us during his time at Villa Park (49 in 101 for us, and he played half of 2013/14 with an injury) so people are expecting to see that again despite all the evidence showing that the current iteration of Christian Benteke couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.  We desperately need a striker. We needed a striker before Wesley got injured and now it's almost at crisis point, but c'mon,  surely we can do better than Benteke? 

The way I'd look at it considering January is very rarely the time to buy quality is that Benteke is an upgrade on Wesley. I'll admit I haven't watched every game this season but I reckon it's been at least 5 and Wesley is dog shit as a goal scorer.

4 minutes ago, bradigor said:

That handball rule is such bullshit. 

It's taking a lot for me to not start channelling the good Wolves supporting Dr right now :lol: 

Honestly, what is the point? Get the ball headed onto your hand, point blank range and they'll rule any goal out. Farcical.

• Empathy 1

1 minute ago, Scruff said:

It's taking a lot for me to not start channelling the good Wolves supporting Dr right now :lol: 

Honestly, what is the point? Get the ball headed onto your hand, point blank range and they'll rule any goal out. Farcical.

The handball rule should be there to rule out goals like Henry's vs Ireland. Not that. But by the letter of the law it was correctly ruled out. That will change next season, it has to. Same with Mane's against Manchester United, it brushed his hand whilst he was under pressure, it was accidental and it didn't affect the ball movement in any way. I am sure there are other examples. Yet also by the rules this year, Mane's vs Wolves should have been ruled out for an earlier handball. 

VAR will get a lot of flack again for that, but it is stupid idiotic rules that are the issue. 

Feel for you guys. Although I am sure Sheffield United will claim some kind of karma. Especially if you are relegated by a point. 

• Upvote 1

Don't Brad, don't get started on that legal action stuff! :lol:

So many people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to that. It still gets said to this day that we needed to win at Old Trafford to stay up; we didn't, we needed a point. If they can't get that right what hope is there that they'll get the others bits right?

They have to do something about VAR interpretation in this country because they are totally ruining the game.  It is there to correct clear and obvious errors by the ref which is fine.  An accidental handball by a player who does not score, but is involved in the build up is not a clear and obvious error.  VAR should be going absolutely nowhere near decisions like that.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Don't Brad, don't get started on that legal action stuff! :lol:

So many people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to that. It still gets said to this day that we needed to win at Old Trafford to stay up; we didn't, we needed a point. If they can't get that right what hope is there that they'll get the others bits right?

It was tongue in cheek. Only mentioned it as it was in a lot of my media coverage today about the game. 

Sheffield United relegated Sheffield United, not Tevez. :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

It was tongue in cheek. Only mentioned it as it was in a lot of my media coverage today about the game. 

Sheffield United relegated Sheffield United, not Tevez. :)

Exactly.

On point, we were wretched. Noble and Zabaleta are finished at this level, Fornals should have been playing from the start, we desperately need new players in at least three positions and we're playing utterly dreadful *football* under Moyes.

Think this could be the year..

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Yep that rule is so fucking stupid. 

Didn’t see the game tonight but fucking hell. VAR is still shite. 

Our striker Cutrone just signed for Fiorentina and I think he’s trolling us with this sponsor. 

5F56DC02-2E75-4672-A035-D3A7D0F53877.jpeg

• Upvote 1

VAR is not shite.  It is how they are using it in the Prem which is shite.  Teething problems I know, but they need to get it right urgently as they are rapidly losing the support of the fans.

There are two major problems really.

- Fantastically pernickity implementation of the rules

- The sheer fucking time it takes.

Both could be solved by "If you watch one TV replay and can't clearly see you need to overule the ref, you do not".

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

There are two major problems really.

- Fantastically pernickity implementation of the rules

- The sheer fucking time it takes.

Both could be solved by "If you watch one TV replay and can't clearly see you need to overule the ref, you do not".

100% correct and not really rocket science to figure out either.

54 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yep that rule is so fucking stupid. 

Didn’t see the game tonight but fucking hell. VAR is still shite. 

Our striker Cutrone just signed for Fiorentina and I think he’s trolling us with this sponsor. 

5F56DC02-2E75-4672-A035-D3A7D0F53877.jpeg

Jason Bateman looks shocked to e running a football club instead of acting.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Waggo said:

They have to do something about VAR interpretation in this country because they are totally ruining the game.  It is there to correct clear and obvious errors by the ref which is fine.  An accidental handball by a player who does not score, but is involved in the build up is not a clear and obvious error.  VAR should be going absolutely nowhere near decisions like that.  

The West ham goal was nothing to do with VAR interpretation - the laws now (stupidly) state that if the ball touches a hand of any attacker in the build up the goal is disallowed, deliberate or not.

This one isn't blamed on VAR officials being picky. 

Pepe Reina is in at Villa, subject to medical, on loan until the end of the season.   I'm really not sure on this one.  He did well at Napoli as far as I'm aware but he's been sat on the bench at Milan for 18 months.  I get that he's not going to start ahead of Donnarumma (how is he still only 20 btw? it feels like he's been around forever!) but I just wonder what Villa are getting out of this.  Yes, Heaton is out for the season and I guess the club want an experienced keeper but I feel bad for Orjan Nyland who has really won me over recently.  He had a bad time last year, but then he was playing behind a centre half partnership of an injured James Chester and Mile Jedinak who was an ageing central midfielder.  He looks decent when he's actually got a couple of fit centre halves in front of him but it seems he's back on the bench now.  I hope Reina does well, don't get me wrong, but I just wonder if the money we are spending on him could be better used in the search for a centre forward.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Pepe Reina is in at Villa, subject to medical, on loan until the end of the season.   I'm really not sure on this one.  He did well at Napoli as far as I'm aware but he's been sat on the bench at Milan for 18 months.  I get that he's not going to start ahead of Donnarumma (how is he still only 20 btw? it feels like he's been around forever!) but I just wonder what Villa are getting out of this.  Yes, Heaton is out for the season and I guess the club want an experienced keeper but I feel bad for Orjan Nyland who has really won me over recently.  He had a bad time last year, but then he was playing behind a centre half partnership of an injured James Chester and Mile Jedinak who was an ageing central midfielder.  He looks decent when he's actually got a couple of fit centre halves in front of him but it seems he's back on the bench now.  I hope Reina does well, don't get me wrong, but I just wonder if the money we are spending on him could be better used in the search for a centre forward.  

Chelsea have a policy of keeping a veteren on standby, the likes of Hilario, Swartzer, Eduardo,  Green and Cabballero and young keepers do say that in itself helps.

Plus, a 2nd choice goalie usually comes on as a surprise and someone who can mentally cope with that is a plus.

Whether the money is worth it I have no idea but the concept is sound.

3 time golden glove winner Pepe Reina 

Good to have around for the young goalkeepers. We only replaced him properly after spending £60m on Alisson. 

Milivojevic is out so who will score Palace's inevitable penalty today after Zaha goes over like an old lady on a frosty morning ?

Just now, Mr Do 71 said:

You only have to touch these Arsenal players, and down they go as if hit by a sniper from a mile away.

just said in the Arsenal thread I hate the diving of Torreira & Kolasinac in particular. Its pathetic. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Milivojevic is out so who will score Palace's inevitable penalty today after Zaha goes over like an old lady on a frosty morning 

It would seem Arsenal are doing enough diving for everyone.

2 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

It would seem Arsenal are doing enough diving for everyone.

whole game is riddled with it, Zaha seems like he doesn't care enough to bother but anybody who gets touched flings themselves to the floor - Palace aren't exactly blameless.

Think it was Meyer who just got a hand put on him by Sokratis and went flying back like it was a sonic boom from Guile in street fighter.

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

whole game is riddled with it, Zaha seems like he doesn't care enough to bother but anybody who gets touched flings themselves to the floor - Palace aren't exactly blameless.

Think it was Meyer who just got a hand put on him by Sokratis and went flying back like it was a sonic boom from Guile in street fighter.

I don't have the benefit of TV replays (at the game), but Arsenal's shithousery seems worse than Palace's.

1 minute ago, skadupuk said:

I don't have the benefit of TV replays (at the game), but Arsenal's shithousery seems worse than Palace's.

I'd say the cheating and shithousing is on a par, just we've had the ball more so had more opportunity to do it. 

Well done getting a signal in the ground though, I can't ever get a peep out of my phone at the Emirates.