rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Bearing in mind how teams are willing to cheat and bend the rules to simply win a throw in it's insane to believe that it's only City guilty of this.

I'd imagine the big Spanish & Italian teams are up to some creative accounting along with obviously PSG. Wouldn't expect it from the likes of Bayern or even Liverpool.

Yeah I’m sure Bayern “Our president is in jail for massive tax evasion” Munich are squeaky clean.

• Upvote 4

The damning evidence is the emails that leaked, though. Which only affected City. Other clubs may well have similar arrangements in place and almost certainly play around with their accounts to squeeze past the UEFA FFP regulations but without transparency the emails gave the UEFA investigation is going to be difficult to pin any other club down.

2 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Yeah I’m sure Bayern “Our president is in jail for massive tax evasion” Munich are squeaky clean.

but that was personal tax evasion - I thought german football finances were a bit more transparent because of the big fan movement there, obviously not a character reference for him.

The point of FFP wasn't to ensure that there was some modicum of a level playing field, the point of FFP was to keep was the G-14 as a closed shop in European competition.  To essentially protect them from any other upstart club - like a Chelsea or a Manchester City - raising their spending to an equivalent level in order to compete or surpass them.  The key difference between UEFAs FFP rules and the Championships is that the UEFA clubs make profits and the Championship clubs make losses.

I'm not defending City at all - but the rules were effectively brought in because a) Chelsea had used their billionaire to win the CL and b) Barca, Real, Bayern et al saw the new owners of City and shat themselves.  If you look at the history of FFPs rule across most sports, they are generally brought in when a cartel of clubs who have previously sewn up success are threatened by a new club that effectively has unlimited funds.

• Upvote 5

there is also an ongoing Premier League investigation into City, which if the UEFA findings are upheld would push the EPL to dock them points or hit them with a big sanction, though they are more likely to fine them £3,000 and say don't do it again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-banned-champions-league-premier-points-uefa-fair-play-a9336946.html

The hypocrisy of Real and Barca on issues like this always makes me laugh. Real’s training ground scandal, the fact both were getting state aid and some truly creative accounting are illustration of their approach to fair play. 

And whilst Premiership teams aren’t without criticism, the decision of the Spanish FA to have the Super Cup in Saudi Arabia as a PR sycophancy stunt speaks volumes.

• Upvote 5

47 minutes ago, Plissken said:

The point of FFP wasn't to ensure that there was some modicum of a level playing field, the point of FFP was to keep was the G-14 as a closed shop in European competition.  To essentially protect them from any other upstart club - like a Chelsea or a Manchester City - raising their spending to an equivalent level in order to compete or surpass them.  The key difference between UEFAs FFP rules and the Championships is that the UEFA clubs make profits and the Championship clubs make losses.

I'm not defending City at all - but the rules were effectively brought in because a) Chelsea had used their billionaire to win the CL and b) Barca, Real, Bayern et al saw the new owners of City and shat themselves.  If you look at the history of FFPs rule across most sports, they are generally brought in when a cartel of clubs who have previously sewn up success are threatened by a new club that effectively has unlimited funds.

How many UEFA clubs made profits before they brought in FFP? I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of why big clubs wanted FFP brought in but from UEFAs perspective they wanted to a)stop clubs racking up losses and building up huge amounts of debt and b) stop owners like the Glazers coming in, buying clubs and then passing the cost of the takeover on to the club. Both of those points could be boiled down to UEFA wanting to keep as much of the money generated by European football circulating inside European football instead of going into banks. Based on that criteria FFP has been a success for UEFA as well as the big clubs. 

The system does need tweaking in order to let clubs with wealthy backers grow. The issue is how to legislate for the difference between the investment we saw at Leeds under Risdale and Chelsea after Abramovich took over. 

Yeah, either of them could have easily prevented it, neither did.

It's just I could think of absolutely no reason for the keeper positioning, whatever happened, there was nothing he could do there.

• Upvote 1

Second one Westy has got in the last calendar year.  And yes, he does attempt it on a fairly regular basis.  I love him.  Still can't believe we got him for £5m.

• Upvote 1

Ings made up for that earlier error in style there.  No stopping that. 

Liverpool's luck must be running out soon. I can see a VAR going against them, for once, or an own goal by Henderson.

• Downvote 1
  • Empathy 4

28 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Liverpool's luck must be running out soon. I can see a VAR going against them, for once, or an own goal by Henderson.

After that chance Norwich just missed where Rupp and Pukki somehow screwed up a 2 on 1 with Alison, it looks like Liverpools luck is still in. 

I think that goal may well have been VAR'd out anyway, if they had scored. It looked very marginal and I think the officials tend to leave these borderline offsides to be corrected later now.

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

not just yet apparently.

52 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Norwich should’ve beaten Liverpool at the start of the season too. 

:huh:

Was that before or after Liverpool went 4-0 up before HT.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Hamus said:

Gerrard slip, Loris Karius 2018, 97 points finishing 2nd(did you see the 'goal' that never crossed the line against City?) weve had some god awful bad luck the last few years

• Upvote 2

some interesting stuff coming out of the City situation about the origins of FFP and the detail that many of us don't know

I'd read that one of its drivers was to reduce the debt that clubs had piled on them, but also that debt was not classified as money owed to other clubs for players - hence the huge uptick we've seen in deals being structured in instalments, with a massive increase nowadays in the circle of monies owed between clubs.

• Upvote 5

Thomas Tuchel knows how to get the best out of his players...

Miss of the season at 50 secs.

Our equaliser before that was superb considering the conditions. 

• Upvote 6

I am not sure I have ever seen a worse defence than Villa’s today, if Kane had been playing, Spurs may have got into double figures.  Sadly Spurs’s defence was almost as bad as well.