rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Very concise article on who's fared worse/better this season in terms of VAR decisions...

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

Wolves, Norwich and Sheffield Utd have not had much luck.

---------------------------------------------------------

VAR OVERTURNS (NET SCORE)

Brighton & Hove Albion +7

Crystal Palace +5

Manchester United +4

Leicester City +3

Southampton +3

AFC Bournemouth +2

Burnley +2

Liverpool +1

Newcastle +1

Tottenham Hotspur +1

Manchester City 0

Watford 0

Everton -1

Arsenal -2

Chelsea -2

Aston Villa -3

West Ham -4

Wolves -5

Norwich City -6

Sheffield United -6

---------------------------------------------------

VAR OVERTURNS - DECISIONS FOR

Brighton & Hove Albion 9

Crystal Palace 7

Leicester City 7

Southampton 6

Tottenham Hotspur 6

Manchester City 5

AFC Bournemouth 4

Burnley 4

Liverpool 4

Manchester United 4

West Ham 4

Chelsea 3

Arsenal 2

Everton 2

Sheffield United 2

Watford 2

Wolves 2

Aston Villa 1

Newcastle 1

Norwich City 1

---------------------------------------------------

VAR OVERTURNS - DECISIONS AGAINST

Sheffield United 8

West Ham 8

Norwich City 7

Wolves 7

Chelsea 5

Manchester City 5

Tottenham Hotspur 5

Arsenal 4

Aston Villa 4

Leicester City 4

Everton 3

Liverpool 3

Southampton 3

AFC Bournemouth 2

Brighton & Hove Albion 2

Burnley 2

Crystal Palace 2

Watford 2

Manchester United 1

Newcastle 0

==========================

Team detail: Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolves -5

Overturns: 9
Leading to goals for: 1
Disallowed goals for: 4
Leading to goals against: 1
Disallowed goals against: 1

Game: Leicester (A; Aug. 11)
Incident: Wolves goal for Leander Dendoncker disallowed for handball in build-up by Willy Boly, 51st minute - AGAINST

Game: Southampton (H; Oct. 19)
Incident: Raul Jimenez goal ruled out for offside against Patrick Cutrone, 42nd minute - AGAINST

Game: Man City (H; Dec. 27)
Incident: Penalty awarded (missed by Raheem Sterling) for foul on Riyad Mahrez by Leander Dendoncker, 21st minute - AGAINST
Incident: Missed City penalty retaken due to encroachment by Connor Coady . Retake scored by on rebound by Raheem Sterling, 25th minute - AGAINST

Game: Liverpool (A; Dec. 29)
Incident: Goal for Sadio Mane given after originally ruled out for handball by Adam Lallana, 42nd minute - AGAINST
Incident: Goal for Pedro Neto ruled out for offside in the build-up by Jonny, 45th minute - AGAINST

Game: Watford (A; Jan. 1)
Incident: Christian Kabasele sent off for professional foul after originally being booked, 68th minute - FOR

Game: Southampton (A; Jan. 18)
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Raul Jimenez) for foul on Jonny by Jack Stephens, 65th minute - FOR

Game: Leicester (A; Feb. 14)
Incident: Wolves goal for Willy Boly disallowed for offside in build-up by Pedro Neto, 44th minute - AGAINST

• Upvote 2

The Villa one away at Palace probably doesn't make that list because the ref decided not to use VAR because he thought he'd book Jack Grealish for diving when Grealish actually successfully passed the ball and provided an assist. Cost us a legit equaliser.  

The problem is that people are getting a crash course in what the rules actually are. The Wolves goal and the Mee handball were the correct decisions according to the rule book that probably would have resulted in incorrectly awarded goal and a penalty last season - even though fewer people would have complained about it.

Yet another nasty racist incident, this time involving my Portuguese team Porto and the Guimarães supporters. I am ashamed of those Porto players not walking off too in support, and even more ashamed of the ref who did nothing at all and then booked Marega before he got subbed off.

Imagine if UEFA put the same energy into fighting racism in football as they do into fighting financial fair play abusers...

Marega's statement after the game was boss though: "I would just like to tell these idiots who come to the stadium to make racist chants, go f*** yourselves. And, I also thank the referees for not defending me and for giving me a yellow card because I defend my skin colour. I hope I never see you on a football field again. You are a disgrace!"

• Upvote 8

Jesus, his own teammates and (presumably) manager trying to wrestle him into staying on the pitch. :angry:

this is a good representation of why clubs don't care about kick off times and fans being made to go up and down the country at silly times - make sure you alter chart to scores from the rank it defaults to, it shows the % of income in the PL that comes from gate receipts, against TV and commercial deals.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1401706/

Oh for fucks sake.

You now lose a goal because a man utd player fouled you.

Its not just VAR - defenders now fling themselves to the floor and dive more than the attackers.

Its ruining the game.

Fred pushes Azpilicueta into William's and a goal get disallowed and then the guy who shouldn't even be in the pitch scores moments later. VAR having a fucking nightmare tonight.

Oh for fucks sake.

I mean at least that one is technically correct, by a toe as usual.

What was that stat about Chelsea being -2 for VAR decisions?

Because it's -3 just tonight.

2 players lost to injury, a goal wrongly disallowed by VAR, a red card for the opposition ignored, the narrowest of narrow margin post strikes and one of those lovely toe offsides that would never have happened before this season.

2 questions

1 - Has a team ever used all its season bad luck in 1 game before?

2 - Is it still possible to leave early to beat the traffic when you're watching at home?

• Empathy 2

I'm not sure what I'm more anygry at, The awful Ref/VAR combo or how useless our front three currently look. That's the first time Utd have done the double over us in the Premier League or thirty three years.

Awful night of Football.

Just now, feltmonkey said:

It's good to finally see a game where VAR got everything right. 

:ph34r:

Aye, best VAR performance this season to be honest. :coffee:

6 minutes ago, Revival said:

I'm not sure what I'm more anygry at, The awful Ref/VAR combo or how useless our front three currently look. That's the first time Utd have done the double over us in the Premier League or thirty three years.

Awful night of Football.

You're just mad because fat Frank just got schooled by Ole. Again.

:omg:

• Upvote 2

* comes into read about the toys being thrown out the pram by certain folk after said certain folk been in the utd thread* ...BAHAHAHAHAHAHA :P

Awwww bless the United fans giving it the big one. Finally crawled out their corner, only took them 2/3rds of the season :lol:

10 minutes ago, Revival said:

Guardian liveblog said "Rashford and Abraham having a good game" which I thought was about right.

The funny thing about Maguire not getting sent off, it's violent conduct so normally that would be a three match ban, even if the ref has missed it. But now VAR has had a look at it, so I'm assuming retrospective action is out of the question.