Jump to content
rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

 

On two seasons yes. Let me know when Mane's played 20. Giggs didn't have a bad season in two decades. 

 

Obviously Giggs had a fantastic career with great longevity, performing at a high level for a long time. But for the purposes of that combined team exercise I'd favour their respective peaks, and I don't think Giggs ever got particularly close to the level Mane has been operating at over the last couple of years.

 

I reckon I'd go Schmeichel; TAA, Stam, Van Dijk, Robertson; Fabinho, Keane, Scholes; Salah, Firmino, Mane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this article about how Spanish clubs can sign players after the transfer deadline to be interesting - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/18/leganes-the-unlucky-victims-of-barcelonas-slapdash-recruitment

 

If a player is lost to a long term injury (5+ months, ratified by the governing body) then the club can sign a replacement.  The thing is that every player in Spain has a buyout clause, so the "selling" team can lose the player without their permission and are not permitted to buy a replacement.  Somewhat unsurprisingly, Barcalona are taking advantage of this by stripping Leganes of their top remaining striker, which probably condemns them to relegation.  That player will sit on Barcas bench for six months and then be moved on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Fox said:

 

Obviously Giggs had a fantastic career with great longevity, performing at a high level for a long time. But for the purposes of that combined team exercise I'd favour their respective peaks, and I don't think Giggs ever got particularly close to the level Mane has been operating at over the last couple of years.

 

I reckon I'd go Schmeichel; TAA, Stam, Van Dijk, Robertson; Fabinho, Keane, Scholes; Salah, Firmino, Mane

 

I would replace Fabinho with Gerrard and Fermino with Van Niststlerooy. Probably spelt it wrong

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the removal of the cup-tied thing in Europe, is Haaland the first player to score for two teams in the CL/European Cup in a single season? Own goals notwithstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

 

I would replace Fabinho with Gerrard and Fermino with Van Niststlerooy. Probably spelt it wrong

 

 

I think the thing Keane/Carragher were doing was purely Utd 98/99 vs current Liverpool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Net sound porn

 

https://streamable.com/wsv9i

 

This kid is broken

 

I've no idea why he ended up at Dortmund when he could be tearing up the Europa League at United. Must be his agent's fault.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ryodi said:

 

I've no idea why he ended up at Dortmund when he could be tearing up the Europa League at United. Must be his agent's fault.

 

A couple of years to develop in Germany before we buy him using that low minimum release clause that Raiola reportedly insisted on.

 

Then he can be a great impact sub behind Greenwood.

 

Sorted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“There is room to change the rule and not say that a part of a player’s nose is offside, so you are offside because you can score with that. Instead, you will be not be offside if any part of the body that can score a goal is in line with the last defender, even if other parts of the attacker’s body are in front.

 

“That will sort it out and you will no longer have decisions about millimetres and a fraction of the attacker being in front of the defensive line.”

 

This proposal only works if players attempt to play by the original law instead of pushing further forward. Instead of marginally deciding that a player's toe is offside, they'll be deciding that his heel isn't level.

 

That's not fixing the problem, it's simply moving it.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, which is why you ban them drawing lines, if VAR can't say it's offside in one replay, it's close enough.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before VAR the attacker always had benefit of the doubt in such cases, was this dropped? And why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Before VAR the attacker always had benefit of the doubt in such cases, was this dropped? And why? 

Once you can draw lines (in theory FPS etc.) there is no doubt.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benefit of the doubt hasn't been part of the offside rules for a long time.

 

It's a simple yes or no when it comes to offside, VAR should be no lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, which is why you ban them drawing lines, if VAR can't say it's offside in one replay, it's close enough.

Spot on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tottenham showing almost as much ambition as West Ham tonight.

 

Watched the first half of City vs West Ham and keeping it to a single goal is very fortunate for West Ham.

 

Tottenham have been utter dross the 10 minutes I've watched, Leipzig easily controlling the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely mad game at Rugby Park the Scottish Cup replay tonight, Aberdeen beat Kilmarnock 4-3 aet. It was 1-1 after 90. Klmarnock went 3-2 up in the 116th minute AND STILL LOST! 

 

The winner in the 121st minute... was an own goal scored by a substitute who had just come on for Kilmarnock's main striker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adrock said:

Tottenham showing almost as much ambition as West Ham tonight.

 

Watched the first half of City vs West Ham and keeping it to a single goal is very fortunate for West Ham.

 

Tottenham have been utter dross the 10 minutes I've watched, Leipzig easily controlling the game.

 

Not so much in the second half. Felt like there were constant attacks from Spurs but really showed that we're missing someone like Son or Kane to finish things off. Was frustrating to see attacks mounted only for a rubbish cross or a dribble that just fizzled out over and over again. 

 

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the season really.

 

But I enjoyed being there tonight though, despite frustrations I actually enjoyed the match. Its a shame about giving the penalty away as it felt very much like a draw.

 

The Leipzig fans were actually quite fun. When they announced the players at the beginning they'd yell each name in unison, after the announcer, without fail for every player including subs. I liked that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see Moyes seeing the rest of this season out at all. He's been terrible since coming in and tonight he left Haller, Anderson & Lanzini on the bench as unused subs. I know people can say "well they expect to lose to City" but what kind of ambition is that, to leave 3 of your best attackers on the bench and start with Snodgrass up front. They dont need to rest players, they need to secure points and Moyes showed zero ambition to do that tonight.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cowfields said:

 

Not so much in the second half. Felt like there were constant attacks from Spurs but really showed that we're missing someone like Son or Kane to finish things off. Was frustrating to see attacks mounted only for a rubbish cross or a dribble that just fizzled out over and over again. 

 

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the season really.

 

But I enjoyed being there tonight though, despite frustrations I actually enjoyed the match. Its a shame about giving the penalty away as it felt very much like a draw.

 

The Leipzig fans were actually quite fun. When they announced the players at the beginning they'd yell each name in unison, after the announcer, without fail for every player including subs. I liked that.

 

I felt that, considering the first half and nature of the match up to that, Mourinho had no choice but to send his team out on a more attacking footing.

 

Tottenham looked like they were playing that same old Mourinho style when he decides his team can't match up against an opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Really looking forward to the Liverpool game. Apparently some Liverpool fans groups have been in contact with Hammers United (the main protest group) and said they'll unfurl a giant 'GSB OUT' flag in the kop ( all non board approved flags are confiscated in the London Stadium, and any clothing with anti-board messages being worn will cop you a season ban) in exchange for donations to a local foodbank.

 

Liverpool fans have been there in very recent memory with owners who nearly drove the club in the ground so there will be a lot of sympathy for the WH fans on this. I hope they do get the flag sorted for the game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scruff said:

Really looking forward to the Liverpool game. Apparently some Liverpool fans groups have been in contact with Hammers United (the main protest group) and said they'll unfurl a giant 'GSB OUT' flag in the kop ( all non board approved flags are confiscated in the London Stadium, and any clothing with anti-board messages being worn will cop you a season ban) in exchange for donations to a local foodbank.

 

Likewise, hope this goes ahead; there really should be more solidarity between supporters in cases such as this. As Stigweard says, only too recently Liverpool had absolute shitehawks in charge, and it's horrible seeing other clubs going through similar. Have a soft spot for West Ham (Upton Park was such a great away day), and looking forward to what should be a decent game under the lights on Monday.

 

I'll laugh all day while I can about Man United's on the pitch fall from grace, but they're being bled dry off the pitch, which is in no way fair on their support. There's very little protection against nefarious owners, hopefully it won't take another club going to the wall before more sit up and take action.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone here ever been at a Bundesliga match? The atmosphere there seems great and I especially like how they shout players name after a goal. Would love to go one day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.