rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

We can even shithouse VAR..

</proud>

Haha! That sounded like a farce, but as I had Pope in goal for FPL, a not unwelcome one.

2 minutes ago, glb said:

Why are Man City dressed like Opal Fruits? Especially since they have that natty Hacienda-inspired number...

More like Fruit Salads, no? 

F78C4C05-0C99-4745-87DF-369098E54E20.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, p b said:

It's live football for me, and no VAR! 

FcSchaffhausen plays the fallen GC Grasshoppers Zurich today - the stadium will probably half full so it's a record for the season. GC has had a terrible run, whereas FCS have suddenly started getting points - 8 from the 7 from the last 3 games. So I'm expecting a win and terrible catering, and I won't be disappointed on at least one of the two.

Well that was shite. The catering was rubbish as expected, but I really didn't think we'd lose 0-3. It's not that GC were that much better (only  a bit) and that the ref was utter shite (he was indeed! Honest!). It was ... just not good. 

I'll be back in a fortnight. It's only a 15 minutes walk after all...

• Upvote 2

It's the inconsistency that frustrates you most. Yes that is a penalty, but so was the one on De Bruyne. 

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

Haalands 40th goal this season :wacko: Wonder what club he will end up in. 

I watched a good documentary about Haalands movement on the pitch, he's utterly outrageous 

Nothing to do with luck when it comes to penalties. Just stick them in the top corner and a goalie has no chance. 

10 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I watched a good documentary about Haalands movement on the pitch, he's utterly outrageous 

Is there a link for that? I'd be interested in checking it out. I've watched a ton of his goals this season and it's amazing how many are him standing on his own just tapping the ball into the net. He's a big bastard in a bright yellow shirt so he's hardly inconspicuous which means he must be doing something fantastic to get into so much space so often.  Is it pace or deception? 

Also: Villa are getting relegated. The team is bloody awful right now. Injuries to key players have been crippling, but too many on the pitch just haven't been good enough. 

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Is there a link for that? I'd be interested in checking it out. I've watched a ton of his goals this season and it's amazing how many are him standing on his own just tapping the ball into the net. He's a big bastard in a bright yellow shirt so he's hardly inconspicuous which means he must be doing something fantastic to get into so much space so often.  Is it pace or deception? 

Also: Villa are getting relegated. The team is bloody awful right now. Injuries to key players have been crippling, but too many on the pitch just haven't been good enough. 

I can't it was just a YouTube hole I fell in. It's all to do with his acceleration at thee right times which put him in those positions. 

If I was a top tier club I'd be signing him for whatever they demanded at this point. 

I don't want to overreact here, but that Lo Celso decision should mean the Premier League needs to announce its immediate dissolution and the FA cancel all association football from this point forward. If we can march someone in charge naked through the streets to be pelted with cow shit too then all the better.

• Upvote 3

Just seen the Bournemouth VAR decision on MOTD . That even worse than the lo celso one.  ( in as much as it basically changed the game ). 

three absolute howlers in one day . All of which had the benefit of multiple replays .

Garth Crooks had it right this afternoon , it’s allowing refs to just avoid making decisions . 

Honestly I’m so pleased I don’t support a premier league team . It’s just horrendous .

• Upvote 1

Just to pile in again, that Burnley / Bournemouth game is just so unsatisfying. Every decision is wrong and shit and I hate it. Match of the Day seem to be trying their best to talk about something, anything other than the ongoing clown car that is VAR, so good for them for at least giving it a go to make football enjoyable I suppose. It's turned the game over to nitpicking cretins and it's all just bollocks.

• Upvote 2

My team had our first ever VAR game the other night (Celtic in the Europa) and even though it resulted in a penalty against us (correctly, and with penalty god Forster in goals penalties are no big deal anyway) it was swift and painless. There were two other small incidents which didn't even get looked at, which I think might have been 5 minute vague epics if they were in the EPL.

None of these long mysterious pauses after every possible incident, the referee makes the call himself which is so important. Now I've said that, some mad decisions will be made in the second leg. The key to making VAR work long term is really restricting when it is used. Only for key moments and if the video is clearly not very clear after a couple of angles then don't even bother with a full review. I would suggest they shouldn't even use it for potential red card tackles, there's too much subjectivity and context there that can be lost in a replay for how significant a red card is. 

In some ways it's good supporting a team in a league with nae money (some of our teams can't even afford a grass pitch) and lack of VAR is one of them, by the time we get around to it the problems maybe will have been worked out. 

• Upvote 1

With the Bournemouth Burnley game, the thing that frustrates me so much is how the VAR people have truly lost sight of why they're using this technology in the first place. 

At its core it is supposed to make the game more fair. But to disallow goals, to allow the game to play on and then minutes later effectively transfer the goal to the opposite team, I don't think they're appreciating what a psychological headfuck that's going to be for the team. I don't think they're factoring in the psychology of it when they talk about fairness. 

The offense was (allegedly,) touching the ball accidentally with an arm, the punishment was to create enough stress and disappointment that they probably couldn't bounce back and play their best. 

That isn't fairness at all. 

I appreciate why they didn't, but if it was about fair they'd have allowed the goal but still given a penalty. If they can't stop play to analyse the offense, they shouldn't then be allowed to erase that play like it never happened. 

• Upvote 4

We've been waiting for this basic scenario for a while now (What if they score before a break in play) and in a way it's refreshing that we were all right and they went with the worst of all possible options.

What a shit show weekend for our refs. The worst for me was the de bruyne handball penalty not being given. He jumps with his hands in the air, arms out to the side of his face and deflects the ball away form the target. What kind of bullshit excuse is "natural position".

The things I always think about with these var decisions is what if every player did this every time and it was not penalised apprporiately, what would the game look like?

So we'll have 4 goalkeepers in every defensive wall jumping with their arms in the air and in the lo celso incident, 4 broken legs, every game.

if anybody is planning to top up their sofa dents from 2pm as usual the early KOs today aren't on Sky (or BT for that matter) - they were originally 3pm Sat KOs that got moved because of Europa league so weren't picked up as sky games. 

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

My team had our first ever VAR game the other night (Celtic in the Europa) and even though it resulted in a penalty against us (correctly, and with penalty god Forster in goals penalties are no big deal anyway) it was swift and painless. There were two other small incidents which didn't even get looked at, which I think might have been 5 minute vague epics if they were in the EPL.

None of these long mysterious pauses after every possible incident, the referee makes the call himself which is so important. Now I've said that, some mad decisions will be made in the second leg. The key to making VAR work long term is really restricting when it is used. Only for key moments and if the video is clearly not very clear after a couple of angles then don't even bother with a full review. I would suggest they shouldn't even use it for potential red card tackles, there's too much subjectivity and context there that can be lost in a replay for how significant a red card is. 

In some ways it's good supporting a team in a league with nae money (some of our teams can't even afford a grass pitch) and lack of VAR is one of them, by the time we get around to it the problems maybe will have been worked out. 

This is true. VAR was a lot better in our game against Espanyol than any other game I’ve seen live this season. 

Martial's goal against Watford is worth a look, for anyone not following that game already.

Lots of empty seats at The Emirates today. Have attendances been down recently?

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

Lots of empty seats at The Emirates today. Have attendances been down recently?

The games are always officially sold out, but the Emirate season ticket holders have a large affluent set amongst them who simply don't bother to turn up every week and don't need the money or hassle of selling them on.

I try to sell mine or pass them on if I can't go but they aren't the easiest things to get rid of, especially for silly KO times late on Sunday. 

Prople like to get off early, to the train stations, to beat the crowds.

Arsenal (Piccadilly line) especially has a capacity problem.

They only succeed in getting stuck outside the stations, and forming the crowds earlier.

Two things about VAR:

1. I don't understand how after the great application of VAR during the 2018 FIFA World Cup it's been shit since, I mean the Women's World Cup it was pants, in the Premier League it's been pants, the Champions League it's been soso (great when it denied ManShitty a goal to put them out of the Champions League against Spurs, dodgy decisions other times ;))
  2. I don't understand why it's not used as a tool for the ref i.e. the ref decides whether it should go to VAR.  Is it a conscious decision considering the mess it was in the Women's World Cup when the refs seemed to go to VAR all the time because they weren't sure?  The refs should be able to rule themselves, and if they need to consult the linesman they should do so, as per usual, and only THEN if they are still not sure they can then go to VAR (and they should be able to look at the footage themselves, maybe 2-way converse with VAR refs but have the final decision).  That way, we can all still blame the ref for getting decisions wrong because the decision will have come from him/her and not VAR