rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

34 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Got in. Not sure why it’s upside down. I’m not that pissed

817D789C-1B08-4178-B4BE-65E4BDE44AE8.jpeg

Think you might be a bit early mate.

• Upvote 1

Ah, that Olympiakos winner shows David Luiz doing what he does best - admiring the graceful arc of a cross as it whizzes by him.

• Upvote 1

I loved Crazy Dave as a Chelsea player but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy him more as an Arsenal one.

• Upvote 1

Europa League draw: 

Istanbul Basaksehir v FC Copenhagen

Olympiacos v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Rangers v Bayer Leverkusen

Wolfsburg v Shakhtar Donetsk

Internazionale v Getafe

Sevilla v Roma

FC Salzburg or Eintracht Frankfurt v Basel

LASK v Manchester United

• Upvote 1

Damn tough draw for us. One of the 3 teams I most wanted to avoid. Glad we’ll be playing the first leg at home, that’s been suiting us and hopefully gives us a better chance of getting a result that we can work with, rather than getting gubbed in Germany and the home leg being a dead rubber. 

Inter vs Getafe and Sevilla vs Roma means some of the stronger teams will be going out, which could really open up the tournament. 

The Istanbul mob drawing Copenhagen means that’s at least one relative diddy that’ll be in the quarterfinal draw. I’m now especially glad Celtic got spectacularly fucked out of it last night. That woulda been a decent draw for them getting to the quarters. OH WELL.

I wouldn't mind but that Istanbul mob weren't much cop when we knocked them out in the qualifiers last year.

2 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Quite happy with that 

The draw - yes.

The 5.55pm kick off at Molineux - no. Means I can't go to the home leg. Very annoyed.

• Upvote 1

Leicester have been absolutely abject against Norwich. For the first time I’m worried for our Champions’ League place. Look short of invention and need to get Vardy and Ndidi back to the starting lineup. 

4 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Leicester have been absolutely abject against Norwich. For the first time I’m worried for our Champions’ League place. Look short of invention and need to get Vardy and Ndidi back to the starting lineup. 

No Vardy no party.

So apparently the main topic of conversation at the IFAB meeting this weekend isn't re-wording offside of VAR protocols but the introduction of concussion temporary substitutes.

Not sure it addresses a common problem that teams shouldn't be looking out for themselves, just gives them another way to cheat. You often see players going down totally still holding their heads with no real contact as they know it's more likely to stop play, hard to see how a well intentioned move to protect them won't be abused. 

Also if it's concussion a 5 minute sub is not going to help in the slightest.

Presumably the sub is temporary so the game isn’t held up while they do an assessment, like rugby already does. If they are concussed it’ll be the game over for them. If they’re off for a minimum 5 min doing that I guess it might stop some people faking? But with all the rigmarole of getting the new player on and off it’ll still waste some time. 

I'd imagine the innocent logic is that if a temp sub is available then players can go off to be assessed properly rather than being made to look at a finger for 10s and being declared 'fine'.

The other side of that is it'll be incredibly easy to abuse and I suspect will be abused more often than used correctly. Team used all 3 subs and goes behind in last few mins, no worries as Sergio Ramos goes down with fake concussion and another forward is bought on.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

So apparently the main topic of conversation at the IFAB meeting this weekend isn't re-wording offside of VAR protocols but the introduction of concussion temporary substitutes.

Not sure it addresses a common problem that teams shouldn't be looking out for themselves, just gives them another way to cheat. You often see players going down totally still holding their heads with no real contact as they know it's more likely to stop play, hard to see how a well intentioned move to protect them won't be abused. 

Maybe they can check VAR to see if they're taking or not?

So when a sub comes on and scores - the goal is chalked off and he sub removed.

Can't wait!

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Brendan Rodgers is a spoofer.

I'm never fully convinced by him but where is par in the league for that Leicester squad at the end of the season, he still looks on track to add a few places to them I'd say, but in the end that may be with others failing around him as much as what he's doing. Plus they are reverting to the mean on xG now Vardy isn't converting low quality chances like he was.

It's one of the two biggest games of the season today. 

That's right big 6 fans it's the M23 derby!(though the M23 is shut in a couple of places so may be the A22 derby today)

I don't know why I get in any way worked up for this game, we haven't bothered showing up the last 3 times and recent performances have been less than  encouraging, Brighton aren't having a good time either so I'm going for 0-0 with a Palace goal chalked off by VAR in the  88th minute.

Might even just skip the game altogether and just watch this video on loop ("Ohhhh Andy Johnson's magic...")

I’m not 100% convinced with Potter’s selection (why Murray on the bench again) but to add an extra dimension to an already weird tie a bunch of Bayer Leverkusen fans are over to support us.

Zaha will annoyingly score.

I always think a derby needs geographical proximity, this is a rivalry isn't it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I always think a derby needs geographical proximity, this is a rivalry isn't it.

We are the closest club to Brighton geographically (ignoring non-league)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I’m not 100% convinced with Potter’s selection (why Murray on the bench again) but to add an extra dimension to an already weird tie a bunch of Bayer Leverkusen fans are over to support us.

Zaha will annoyingly score.

Murray will come on and score, it's a given.

Best way to beat us is to sit back and let us come at you, we can't unpick a defence to save our lives, if you come at us we'll soak it up and hit you on the break (it's plan A B C and D)

3 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

We are the closest club to Brighton geographically (ignoring non-league)

fine, but according to google maps there is 50 miles between the grounds. 

not a derby for my money but some get excited by it. 

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

some get excited by it. 

Apologies for having a rivalry based on a history of incidents, competition and pride rather than "They are the blokes next door"

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

Apologies for having a rivalry based on a history of incidents, competition and pride rather than "They are the blokes next door"

I said it's a rivalry but not a derby.

All they kept saying on TV build up was 'derby', which it isn't.