rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

2 minutes ago, Adrock said:

What's the accepted milage for a derby? Can you have more than one derby?

Is it as the crow flies?

Are public transport options considered?

All good questions - I'd also take into consideration what is in-between the 2 points.

Usually I'd think its the same town/city, but London is too big for that and once you get further out you can have 2 towns with nothing but a few farms between them, so that could be a derby.

It's just like when a friend of your parents is called your aunt or uncle. It's not technically correct, but everyone knows what you mean and there isn't really a perfect alternate word for it.

Except no one bothers to quibble over that on a forum.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hmm said:

It's just like when a friend of your parents is called your aunt or uncle. It's not technically correct, but everyone knows what you mean and there isn't really a perfect alternate word for it.

Except no one bothers to quibble over that on a forum.

if your mum introduces somebody as an 'uncle' that could mean several things. 

• Upvote 1

This is a dreadful game utterly turgid performance by Palace, only upside (for me) is Beighton fluffing every chance they have.

1 hour ago, skadupuk said:

We are the closest club to Brighton geographically (ignoring non-league)

What about Crawley? 

3 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

What about Crawley? 

Historically, Palace/Brighton started in the 60's and gained momentum in the 70's

It in part relates to both teams going for promotion from Division 3 South one season.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

Historically, Palace/Brighton started in the 60's and gained momentum in the 70's

It in part relates to both teams going for promotion from Division 3 South one season.

You are getting your humanities confused. ;) 

Smash N Grab 101

Brighton fans are going to be pissed off about that one (as we would be if the roles were reversed), but dear god I'm a happy!

That game actually sent me to sleep. Terrible game.

Just waiting for post match coverage to see the goal.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

All good questions - I'd also take into consideration what is in-between the 2 points.

Usually I'd think its the same town/city, but London is too big for that and once you get further out you can have 2 towns with nothing but a few farms between them, so that could be a derby.

Ah yes. Norwich vs Ipswich. 

Derbies are weird though. West Brom are about three miles from Villa Park, for the most part they look to Wolves as their local derby which is probably fifteen miles away.  

• Upvote 1

Watching West Ham vs Southampton because I like the way Hassenhutl has his team playing at the moment, they are struggling without Ings pressing from the top in unison with Long.

However, my main observation is how negative West Ham are, even whilst at home. The fans aren't gonna suffer that for long given their recent history.

Despite all that they're winning 2-1 because McCarthy had a nightmare.

1 hour ago, skadupuk said:

Smash N Grab 101

Brighton fans are going to be pissed off about that one (as we would be if the roles were reversed), but dear god I'm a happy!

Crushingly disappointing. So many shots on target. Although I can't believe that early Benteke miss and the Zaha open goal fail right at the end. hI think we need someone a bit more collected in front of goal. Hoping McAllister has something of that if we allow him to ever play.

Palace's defence was mostly pretty solid though.

1 hour ago, DirkCrisis said:

Crushingly disappointing. So many shots on target. Although I can't believe that early Benteke miss and the Zaha open goal fail right at the end. hI think we need someone a bit more collected in front of goal. Hoping McAllister has something of that if we allow him to ever play.

Palace's defence was mostly pretty solid though.

Hodgson has produced the best drilled defence we've  had (in my lifetime), but by god we are dull to watch since we've lost the counter attacking flair we had a couple of seasons ago.

You were by far the better value team in terms of deserving the points, by that was some god awful finishing, some very odd choices of where and how to hit the ball.

Your upcoming home fixtures don't look too great for picking up points, but I think there are at least 3 worse teams than you and you'll survive.

Ugh I'm not sure! Norwich and West Ham won and Bournemouth got a point. I'm hoping Liverpool turn over Watford although it sounds like they're putting up a fight.

I still don't know why our finishing is so shit. We're better to watch at least.

Sarr is basically the difference between relegation and staying up for us. He adds a completely different dimension to the team. 

No Hendo no party.

Liverpool's luck runs out at last. It has been coming.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Not the invincibles. :bye:

yes, I guess that’s the end of Liverpool’s title challenge then.

:rolleyes: