rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

That'll raise a few eyebrows. 

Dean Henderson is the big winner this afternoon. Not only because of De Gea and Pickford's mistakes, but if Sheff Utd win their game in hand they'll go fifth, hypothetically into the Champions League places. 

I don't think Sigurdsson affects De Gea's view of the ball. He's just travelling the wrong way when it hits Maguire and can't adjust in time. Him lying there prone makes no difference.

I don’t think anyone can argue against the fact that VAR was brought in to game the league in the commercial departments favour. 

• Upvote 1

Can’t understand the controversy over disallowing it - Sigurdsen is lying offside right in De Gea’s eyeline and view of the shot.

How is he not offside and interfering

• Upvote 5

De Gea is 6'4" and standing almost directly over him while he's on the floor.

I guess you can say him being there is a distraction and De Gea isn't to know if he will pull his legs away. I don't think he's getting there anyway, but maybe the VAR refs aren't supposed to be making that determination. Just whether Sigurdson is "active".

9 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Can’t understand the controversy over disallowing it - Sigurdsen is lying offside right in De Gea’s eyeline and view of the shot.

How is he not offside and interfering

Especially when if he didn't move his legs out of the way the ball would have hit them and not gone in. Being in an offside position and moving out of the way from the path of the ball at the last second is pretty much the definition of interfering with play I would have thought.

What’s the current interpretation of the whole first/second phase nonsense. Could it be interpreted in such a way as seeing as the ball came towards him from a defenders touch then he could now be onside? I honestly don’t know anymore. We had a very similar decision go our way against Sunderland today where the outside player crossed over in front of our keeper as the shot came in.

Well that game is done. Wasn't a corner, but was shocking defending from it. 

I'm not even sure VAR was needed to show that was a goal kick, it wasn't even marginal.  I just hope this doesn't end up five or six nil.  

56 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I don’t think anyone can argue against the fact that VAR was brought in to game the league in the commercial departments favour. 

Is that why all the traditionally big teams are doing so well this season? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I'm not even sure VAR was needed to show that was a goal kick, it wasn't even marginal.  I just hope this doesn't end up five or six nil.  

There you go!!!

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

That Var offside decision in the Everton game could be the worst of the season. 

Nah. This is one of the rare times VAR got it right. He's sitting on the ground in front of the keeper and has to pull his legs out of the way for the ball to go through - that's an easy offside call. The Everton players should be lashing Sigerdson out of it for sitting on his arse in injury time while his team have the ball in the Utd box.

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 17.08.26.png

• Upvote 3

That was hilarious - Stones just crumples to the floor, seemingly apropos of nothing.

The ball wasn’t even going near him until it deflects off Maguire. Can you be offside from an opposition player striking the ball now?

2 minutes ago, Liamness said:

That was hilarious - Stones just crumples to the floor, seemingly apropos of nothing.

The only thing I can imagine is Anwar shouted Fus-Ro-Dah! as the ball was in the air. 

31 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Nah. This is one of the rare times VAR got it right. He's sitting on the ground in front of the keeper and has to pull his legs out of the way for the ball to go through - that's an easy offside call. The Everton players should be lashing Sigerdson out of it for sitting on his arse in injury time while his team have the ball in the Utd box.

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 17.08.26.png

I don't understand though, De Gea first moves based on the ball being hit towards the far corner and the deflection bounces it towards the near corner, which beats him. The same thing would have happened had Siggurdson not been there.

40 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I don't understand though, De Gea first moves based on the ball being hit towards the far corner and the deflection bounces it towards the near corner, which beats him. The same thing would have happened had Siggurdson not been there.

Whether De Gea would have got there or not is completely irrelevant. Siggurdson's position relative to the flight of the ball is the only important thing from the point of view of the laws of the game. 

You can be offside following a deflection, so that is a red herring too. This is different to the situation with Lovren last season where he went to pass it forward and completely sliced it to Kane. Although I think in the end we decided then that all Lovren's touches should be classified as deflections as he has no control over any of them. 

Obviously I'm biased, and I admit my bias, but at the same time so is everyone when it comes to United. Being disappointed that a goal has been disallowed doesn't mean that the decision was wrong. Edit - This part is not directed at you, Loik. Obviously I know your allegiance is the same as mine. 

56 minutes ago, wev said:

Howard Webb, the head of the refs over there, had this to say:

It gets more nonsensical with the subsequent replies. too.

15 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Obviously I'm biased, and I admit my bias, but at the same time so is everyone when it comes to United. Being disappointed that a goal has been disallowed doesn't mean that the decision was wrong. Edit - This part is not directed at you, Loik. Obviously I know your allegiance is the same as mine. 

Honestly mate, most people couldn’t give a flying one about Man Utd. Get over yourself. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Unlucky Villa.

At least they can now concentrate on the Championship next season.

• Upvote 1

Good to hear that Man City have won 5 of the last 6 domestic cups.

Cheats do prosper.

How likely do people think it is that they might be stripped of these titles?

• Empathy 2