rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Just now, the_debaser said:

Simeone masterclass tonight, Klopp got schooled. 

If you'd had put a scarecrow in goal instead of Adrian, the result may have been different.

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Did you watch the same game? They were lucky we couldn't find the target and Oblak was on fire. 26 shots we had against their 7. Complete smash and grab. Adrian's error killed us.

• Upvote 1

His substitutions changed the game. Took off Costa for the guy who smashed in two once Liverpool were tired, then Morata with the finishing touch. 

Klopp fucked up by taking off the Ox, his other subs did nothing.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

Did you watch the same game? They were lucky we couldn't find the target and Oblak was on fire. 26 shots we had against their 7. Complete smash and grab. Adrian's error killed us.

Doesn't that make it a Simeone masterclass? That's his ideal performance surely?

• Upvote 1

In other news, PSG won a European knockout tie.

The apocalypse is truly upon us.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

As must be the European competitions. Juventus cant play next week now.

International games involving Italian clubs are still going ahead. I don't know how accurate the testing is - maybe they'll find it acceptable to field the players who test negative. Then again apparently the virus is impactful if you're young and healthy, obviously a category that football players fall into. I can't imagine that makes testing any easier.

5 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Doesn't that make it a Simeone masterclass? That's his ideal performance surely?

It's a masterclass because our players can't hit the target :huh:

I feel like "smash and grab" doesn't quite do Madrid justice. No-one is going to want to play them after that. What more could you do?

(well, aside from having a better keeper)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Against any other side, they might have a chance but Atletico are Wycombe Wanderers in their fully evolved form. Lower League fans will understand. The ultimate shit houses.

2016 called, it wants its football patter back.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

It's a masterclass because our players can't hit the target :huh:

They rode their luck a bit but they defended well for the most part. 

8 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

They rode their luck a bit but they defended well for the most part. 

They gave up 35 shots. We only have ourselves to blame for tonight. 

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

They gave up 35 shots. We only have ourselves to blame for tonight. 

Only 14 on target in 120 mins though. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, the_debaser said:

Only 14 on target in 120 mins though. 

Which makes it our fault for not finishing well. Still doesn't equate to good defending. We battered them, but have lost our clinical edge of late. 

• Empathy 1

53 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

As Cal said, more of a smash and grab. This is a weird take unless you’re just here on a wind up, you virgin.

Seems a tad pointless playing the PSG game behind closed doors because of Coronavirus, only to have 10,000 fans turn up outside the stadium.:doh:

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Which makes it our fault for not finishing well. Still doesn't equate to good defending. We battered them, but have lost our clinical edge of late. 

You were well on top but i don't think there were that many clear cut chances or wonder saves. A fair few poor decisions in the decisive moment. A few decent saves but nothing astoundingly brilliant. The champions league is surely going to be suspended now anyway? 

• Upvote 1

I'd be interested to see the full Opta shooting breakdown from last night, measuring shots is crude as sure Liverpool had 34 (with 11 on target) but people are now getting used to xG, but xG is a model based on the moment up until the striker shoots, it takes no account of shot quality itself. Opta have a more advanced stat called xGOT (nothing to do with Westeros) which measures shot quality itself and gives an indication of defensive pressure on the shooter or if the goalie was indeed having a blinder or throwing his hat on straight shots up the middle. It's impossible to get hold of that data without a full Opta sub, but I suspect last night Liverpool weren't that unlucky overall and got the goals they deserved for the quality shots they took (or importantly were allowed to take). 

I often get irritated by commentators calling anything that hits a keeper a world class save (especially for 'cameras keepers' like Pickford or Lloris) my feeling from last night was very little Oblak did was great, he simply stopped shots that were for the most part at him, and patted them and crosses back out into the massed defence but that in itself is a credit to how Athleti defended with nobody given a moment to settle near the box. 

https://www.optasportspro.com/news-analysis/blog-introducing-expected-goals-on-target-xgot/

Quick trivia question - which English team were the last to beat Atletico in a knockout game across 2 legs?

16 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Quick trivia question - which English team were the last to beat Atletico in a knockout game across 2 legs?

Bolton Wanderers 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Should have played Lonergan

They'd have been better resigning Djimi Traore and playing him as rush keeper than playing Andy fucking Lonergan. 

By far and away the worst goalkeeper I have ever seen.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Bolton Wanderers

Oh my, imagine Allardyce's Bolton Wanderers vs Simeone's Atletico Madrid. Who wins? Nobody.

As for cancelling the season - no way will (or should) they do this. Postponing seems sensible - put the Euros back til summer 2021 and extend the current campaign if required. 

There would be far too much chaos to be sorted if they cancelled the whole thing. 

I don't know what they do about leagues and gongs but there is no chance of the leagues and cups being completed.

Real Madrid now having to isolate the team, la liga suspended for 2 weeks, something has to give as football doesn't have a calendar that allows for this time to be lost.

The Euro's will not happen in the summer, and I suspect many of the leagues will be left suspended in their current states, or with a couple more fixtures played - Liverpool have to hope they can get over the line before the shutter comes down.

a cording to the Times the season here will be finished behind closed doors, with ticket holders being given a stream to access, but no games allowed to be shown in pubs or in the protected 3pm KO slots on sat - the madness of trying to contain the broadcast like that in this internet age shows you how out of touch the duffers are

If I were the PL I’d play this weekend as normal (albeit in empty stadiums), then play all the games in hand in the next week so all teams have played 30 matches. Then just curtail the league with the current points totals, and fatten the parachute payments a bit for the clubs getting relegated to soften the blow.

It’s still arguably a little unfair, as some teams had better fixtures in the runout than others, but it’s fair-ish and quick. 

UEFA has suspended the Europa and Champions League.

Marca think they have not that they were still considering the decision.