rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

44 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Real Madrid now having to isolate the team,

Gareth Bale has been in isolation for a while now, taking on that tricky par 4.

according to a very excited Jim White (though not sure he exists in any other state) UEFA are meeting now to discuss whether to suspend the Champions & Europa league.

As somebody who was fortunate enough to pick up 5 lots of x2 tickets in Rome, Dublin, Budapest and Bucharest. I am very saddened to hear the Euros is being delayed. I sincerely hope my hotel/travel arrangements can be altered. 

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

according to a very excited Jim White (though not sure he exists in any other state) UEFA are meeting now to discuss whether to suspend the Champions & Europa league.

And also next Tuesday about suspending Euro 2020 (source)

We're 3-0 down, any way we can just let Bayern have the damn tie?

3 hours ago, Smoothy said:

And also next Tuesday about suspending Euro 2020 (source)

Surely that’s a given . Especially with the new format which means people will be traveling all over the continent. That’s not even allowing for the domestic leagues probably finishing a month or so later 

There’s no way out of this that isn’t messy but as a Liverpool fan voiding the season would be the most frustrating so most likely solution.

Oh man I know we all joke but fuck me this must be agony for Liverpool and the fans. They absolutely deserve that title but it’s not won yet and the season could be and probably should be cancelled now. Everyone recover for start of next season. 

I think collectively the Prem clubs will opt to void the season because it would have to mean no relegation so, bar Liverpool, no-one really loses out and they all get to play in the Prem next season.

EFL clubs who have spent big to get promotion would be fucked though.

1 minute ago, Ork1927 said:

I think collectively the Prem clubs will opt to void the season because it would have to mean no relegation so, bar Liverpool, no-one really loses out and they all get to play in the Prem next season.

EFL clubs who have spent big to get promotion would be fucked though.

redirect the parachute money :coffee:

• Upvote 2

We're going to see this end up through the courts once the dust settles I reckon. Too many factors to consider. Whilst the bigger clubs will probably be ok, what about the teams in the lower leagues. Not the players, but the other staff behind the scenes? It is going to get very messy. 

Going on some rumours, the current Premier League season will be suspended tomorrow. If the Euros are shifted after UEFA’s meeting next week, it does allow for more room to resume the season. Add in European competitions being voided as is looking likely and more domestic midweek games become possible. 9 or 10 games, as clubs have left, could feasibly be played across 5 weeks if the situation improves.

A suspension followed by a review in approximately a month gives clubs / broadcasters / leagues time to reassess. If a void is the only option at that point, then so be it because it means the situation is so bad that football will be the least of our concerns.

7 hours ago, bradigor said:

We're going to see this end up through the courts once the dust settles I reckon. Too many factors to consider. Whilst the bigger clubs will probably be ok, what about the teams in the lower leagues. Not the players, but the other staff behind the scenes? It is going to get very messy. 

I'm genuinely wondering when the TV money is paid to the clubs.  I know they get a tranche pre-season, but I wonder when the rest is paid.  I know the PL is much, much better off than the rest of the leagues but I think it is £5m per live broadcast to each club.  That, plus highlights packages and finishing positions (each place in the PL table is worth ~£2m in prize money) and so on is going to be a fair wedge.

Have to think this has seismic effects thru football (I know there are wider society issues too, but this is a football thread) - premier league clubs rely on TV money more than gate receipts but that % alters significantly with each league you go down, just can't imagine in the short term world of football this won't see a lot of clubs get into real difficulties. As said above though TV money relies on games being played and shown to some extent.

Then you've got the promotion relegation problems, there isn't much controversy if the leagues can't finish in letting Liverpool have a title with an * next to it, but what do you do about the ups/downs, can't see how you can relegate a team still fighting for safety but sure the Leeds/WBA lawyers will see things different.

Plus finishing the season relies on not only the time being available but enough players available, they aren't machines, you can't stand them all down for weeks then expect them to play straight thru the summer finishing one season and going straight into another.

It's going to get messy

Thinking about this, there is nothing the EFL can do about it, either.  The PL and EFL are separate organisations - when you are promoted/relegated you officially resign from one and apply to join the other which by convention and arrangement is accepted.  But the application doesn't have to be and the PL's responsibility is to its existing members.

I think they are going to have to void it all and the earlier they do it then the less argument the clubs denied promotion have as technically no club can currently claim they would have 100% gone up.

It is terrible for Liverpool, Leeds, Coventry, etc but I don’t see any other option. As said above - if you try and finish in the summer the players aren’t going to be fit to do that then immediately start next season. Play offs would be next to impossible to fit in as well so someone is getting screwed over somewhere.

And, if you want to get really morbid, there has to be a chance that at least a handful of players (or managers) don’t recover fully or at all if/when they get the virus so even if it burns itself out somehow by June - clubs may not have managers of a full squad of fit players to compete.

What about the Champions League and Europa spots? If they are voiding the league then do we reset to who qualified the year before again?

edit- Calum Hudson-Odoi has tested positive for Corona virus now too.

I think just suspend for a month, move the euros to next year. League finishes on 17th June instead of 17th May. I don't get the 'players won't have time to recover'. Summer tournaments finish in July anyway. Copa America takes place virtually every summer. Premier league starts around Aug 20th.  

I lost track but Euros next year affects the Nations League, doesn’t it? Which I think has a bearing on qualification for Qatar 2022.

Cup competitions can be moved around easiest. You could even cancel the League Cup and even the FA Cup if need be. Then allow the leagues to start later, but have extra days to play. Or scrap international competition for a bit. 

However, if they can work out a solution should they just void this season then that would be best. Health matter most. 

One caveat, I see lots of people going for the 'it's only a game' and mocking the reporting of what is happening in football. However for many, knowing you have something to look forward to at the weekend can get you through a shitty week. In these bleak looking times, not having that something to look forward to could be detrimental to mental health. 

• Upvote 7

it also employs quite a lot of the nation, directly and indirectly. I think I'm indirectly enough that it'd have to be cancelled for several years or something before I was personally affected but we'd almost certainly need to make some cuts somehow if we lost a whole year. There's absolutely going to be people more precarious than us. 

Something's got to give though, I feel like the Euro 2020 is most likely with it involving so much international travel. Delay the end of the season for now and all those lucrative pre-season summer world tours might have to go. UCL and Europa League they can put on hold with the regular leagues and see how things are looking in 2-4 weeks? 

10 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Cup competitions can be moved around easiest. You could even cancel the League Cup and even the FA Cup if need be. Then allow the leagues to start later, but have extra days to play. Or scrap international competition for a bit. 

However, if they can work out a solution should they just void this season then that would be best. Health matter most. 

One caveat, I see lots of people going for the 'it's only a game' and mocking the reporting of what is happening in football. However for many, knowing you have something to look forward to at the weekend can get you through a shitty week. In these bleak looking times, not having that something to look forward to could be detrimental to mental health. 

Last paragraph is very true and also, I see this being the first big thing during this crisis that is going to upset a lot of people's kids as well. My eldest is going to be distraught that he can't watch MOTD, can't go to the Leeds game Sunday, MOTD magazine won't come out if there is nothing to write about, etc.

And it inevitably leads to more questions about what is happening, more anxiety for them, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

That'll be the Merseyside derby off then. Whatever the long term plan is, the game must be suspended from today.