rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

9 minutes ago, bradigor said:

That'll be the Merseyside derby off then. Whatever the long term plan is, the game must be suspended from today.

We played our kids in the cup, they can play their kids Monday! ;)

No football for the foreseeable, then. Think any vote has to be unanimous, and can’t see Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves or Sheffield United voting for a void yet, at least unless the outspread makes it unavoidable and the decision gets taken out of clubs hands.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Champions League and UEFA Cup (Europa League, whatever) is suspended (source).

Must be odds on that the PL follows suit after their meeting today. 

EFL already have, so yes I can't see the PL not doing the same in the next few minutes. And then the two England Wembley games as well.

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Last paragraph is very true and also, I see this being the first big thing during this crisis that is going to upset a lot of people's kids as well. My eldest is going to be distraught that he can't watch MOTD, can't go to the Leeds game Sunday, MOTD magazine won't come out if there is nothing to write about, etc.

And it inevitably leads to more questions about what is happening, more anxiety for them, etc.

Oh come on. Is he distraught all summer as well then? I'm sure he'll be fine and have other interests for now. 

no football leaves a huge gap, no Totally Football podcast, hours of radio left to fill, sports channels showing PL Years and darts gold on rotation.

will sky/BT give us discounts on subs ?

6 minutes ago, Baring said:

Oh come on. Is he distraught all summer as well then? I'm sure he'll be fine and have other interests for now. 

No - not summer because a scary virus doesn’t stop football every summer.

Of course he will be fine, but I’m sure I’m not the only one with a kid potentially anxious about all this and his favourite thing suddenly disappearing isn’t that great, but I’ll tell him to take up knitting and that will be fine.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

no football leaves a huge gap, no Totally Football podcast, hours of radio left to fill, sports channels showing PL Years and darts gold on rotation.

Football Ramble DAILY will have to ensure they are doing DAILY things on a DAILY basis. 

Maybe they need to interview a lot of guests. My list so far:

Tony Daley

Daley Blind

Rachel Daley

That's all Google gives me so far.

One for those that say this is just the flu. Last time football was suspended across the board would have been WW2

Football's hand has been forced here by the teams quarantining themselves - they'd have left the games all go ahead I think otherwise. 

23 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Maybe we'll get a whole bunch of extra Golazzo out of it :wub:

it seems really unlikely the games will be back as quickly as 3rd April too. They're almost certain to be postponing Euro 2020 and completing the club stuff through summer, I think. (this isn't some insider knowledge thing though, just in case anyone thinks I've got any)

15 hours ago, Plissken said:

I lost track but Euros next year affects the Nations League, doesn’t it? Which I think has a bearing on qualification for Qatar 2022.

The next Nations League is played this year, September to Novemeber (finals in March notwithstanding but they have no bearing on Qatar). So pushing the Euros back doesn't affect that, but may affect World Cup qualifiers due to be played throughout the year. 

One option could be to scrap the next edition of the NL, and move World Cup matches forward to September. That'd allow them to skip playing qualifiers in June, and as only two playoff places are assigned via the NL, it'd be easy to reallocate them.

• Upvote 1

One thing that can be done for the leagues is to pause the current season and resume it when safe to do so. Then next season, play a reduced format season rather than try to cram another 38 or 46 games in. 

A league splitting into a top half and bottom half after just one round of fixtures would lead to a 28 game season in the PL, and a 34 game season in the lower leagues. You could make an argument for not doing it at the lower end because of the reliance on matchday income, of course, but at the top I'd say reducing next year's fixture list is preferable to declaring this year completed prematurely, or voiding it.

Normality can then resume for 2021/22.

• Upvote 1

Only slight hindrance to normality in 21/22 is a World Cup right in the middle of the season.

But do agree authorities should adjust a season with nothing yet riding on it rather than one that is 75% complete.

3 minutes ago, glb said:

Only slight hindrance to normality in 21/22 is a World Cup right in the middle of the season.

That's the 22/23 season.

We'll get normality for a whole season first!

• Upvote 1

Odds of this doing what nobody else could and denying Liverpool the title?

33 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

That's the 22/23 season.

We'll get normality for a whole season first!

Yep, I’m being thick. Again.

3 hours ago, milko said:

it also employs quite a lot of the nation, directly and indirectly. I think I'm indirectly enough that it'd have to be cancelled for several years or something before I was personally affected but we'd almost certainly need to make some cuts somehow if we lost a whole year. There's absolutely going to be people more precarious than us. 

Something's got to give though, I feel like the Euro 2020 is most likely with it involving so much international travel. Delay the end of the season for now and all those lucrative pre-season summer world tours might have to go. UCL and Europa League they can put on hold with the regular leagues and see how things are looking in 2-4 weeks? 

Yep, it's happening. We can give our stadium staff some service and maintenance work for a bit, then it'd probably have to be holiday time for them. Subcontractors are likely shit out of luck until the resumption, since we're not getting paid either. 

I reckon I've enough projects to keep my team going for a good while yet, thankfully. 

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm sure the major football pods will tick over once a week or so, but if you haven't already subscribe to some of your followed team's fan podcasts, I'm sure they'll stay regular.

The Totally Football Show is going to keep going

I expect it will turn into something like Golazzo and start looking back at historic games / players.

Players contacts are an interesting part of this, they all expire at the end of June, so loans would finish and any expiring contracts would finish if the season went on after July 1st. 

• Upvote 1