rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Confirmed by UEFA now. No news yet on what that means for the Women's Euro 2021 (though that could comfortably be played after, as it isn't due to start until July), or the Club World Cup plans.

Sensible move.  Now I hope common sense prevails and the season can be concluded properly - none of this Karren Brady opportunist bullshit, things that haven't started yet can be shifted.  Not ideal of course, but a much fairer way of sorting everything out even if it means the season finishing in July/August and 2020/21 starting much later.

No way the season can be finished in front of crowds but can see the strong desire being to finish it off behind closed doors to ensure the TV money comes in and threat of legal actions go away - this though will depend on the govt advice on size of gatherings (and the strength of this advice).  Two teams and support staff must be a gathering of 60-70 people in itself, before you add in TV crews and ground staff to ensure the lights are on and the pitch looked after.

The PFA will also have something to say about their members being put at risk by travelling/playing.

I can though see the desire to do this, if anything it gives the public something to distract them in difficult times, and if the pubs are shut it'll be less likely to cause large groups watching.

Its just so complicated

I guess it all depends on timescales and right now, no-one has a scooby when the peak will happen let alone when things can start returning to normal.

Football with no crowds is far from ideal (watching Wolves play Olympiacos on The Moon last week was weird, horrible and wrong) but if it's that or the season is voided it's a no brainer for me.  The legal chaos that would ensue from that just doesn't bear thinking about.  As much as many people would do 'mega lolz' over the likes of Liverpool, Leeds, West Brom etc etc being fucked over, if any of them were to put a legal claim in they'd be 100% justified in doing so.

But yeah, it's very complicated and I don't think there's an easy solution.

On a local point, RTE have been wondering where this leaves the Irish job. McCarthy was only to be in charge until the end of the Euros, so delaying the tournament means pushing back Stephen Kenny's reign by another year at most. That'd also leave McCarthy in charge for part of the World Cup qualification campaign, assuming normal service resumes in a year's time.

Kenny's U21 campaign has been positive so far with Ireland looking on course to qualify for the first time ever. I'm eagerly awaiting seeing what he can do with the full setup and the promising players like Idah and Parrott coming into the seniors. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

No way the season can be finished in front of crowds but can see the strong desire being to finish it off behind closed doors to ensure the TV money comes in and threat of legal actions go away - this though will depend on the govt advice on size of gatherings (and the strength of this advice).  Two teams and support staff must be a gathering of 60-70 people in itself, before you add in TV crews and ground staff to ensure the lights are on and the pitch looked after.

Rory Smith (NY Times) alludes to this on the latest Totally (No) Football Show. Implication being there is far more legal fallout with cancelling things as they stand, and when it comes to top-flight football the broadcasters are calling the shots.

Further down the pyramid, Barnet have today laid off around 60 non-playing staff. We’re not even a week in to the blackout.

• Empathy 1

14 minutes ago, glb said:

Rory Smith (NY Times) alludes to this on the latest Totally (No) Football Show. Implication being there is far more legal fallout with cancelling things as they stand, and when it comes to top-flight football the broadcasters are calling the shots.

Further down the pyramid, Barnet have today laid off around 60 non-playing staff. We’re not even a week in to the blackout.

There must be a way for the amount of money to help the smaller clubs. That's horrible to hear, especially at such an early stage. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

No way the season can be finished in front of crowds but can see the strong desire being to finish it off behind closed doors to ensure the TV money comes in and threat of legal actions go away...

The thing with the bigger games, based on what happened in Spain the other day, is crowds gather in the car parks etc to cheer their teams on :blink2:

The remaining games will need to be behind closed doors, and at secret venues too :D

Championship clubs vote unanimously to complete the season. Not surprising really, it's the only way that doesn't involve anyone suing. As a Leeds fan, I'd feel much better if we did it properly. 

• Upvote 1

It's being reported that Peter Whittingham has died. Probably most associated with Cardiff City but he used to live near me and was a fixture in the Villa team when I was going home and away, so I'll always have a soft spot for him. Apparently he fell down some stairs and died from his injuries. Only 35. :(

• Empathy 1

I heard about this earlier, but not 100% confirmed yet so haven’t put down my lengthy thoughts on him yet, but :( and then some.

Edit - some doubt if it is correct. It looks like he is/was in intensive care, but no official confirmation that the worst has happened.

No confirmation yet. Seems unlikely this is now just an out of control rumour, but someone has started a build a statue of him in Cardiff on change.org :doh:

He's a neighbour of mine, I believe. Well, a couple of minutes walk away. I've seen him in Tesco. Hope the rumours are bullshit. 

That's a relief. I saw it reported on a couple of those identikit template news websites, I guess they can't be trusted. Really hope he's back on his feet soon. 

On 19/03/2020 at 20:35, Loik V credern said:

I've just found out about https://footballia.net/about . why did no one tell me. did anyone here know about this. did you. 

Well, thanks for telling me about it! As per my earlier thread this was precisely what I was looking for! 

Asif Kapadia's documentary on Deigo Maradona in Napoli is n Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.  I havent seen it, but he did the excellent Senna documentary and I've heard good things about his Amy documentary as well.

I watched it at the cinema thought it excellent. I don't think you need to see it on the big screen to enjoy it, a lot of the footage is taken from 1980s home video anyway. 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Asif Kapadia's documentary on Deigo Maradona in Napoli is n Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.  I havent seen it, but he did the excellent Senna documentary and I've heard good things about his Amy documentary as well.

Amy was amazing, it completely changed my view on her. It's incredbily powerful considering theres no talking heads in it and it's all just footgage from cameras. 

In further non-live football worth a look news, the second season of Sunderland ‘Til I Die arrives on that there Netflix on, appropriately enough, April 1st.

The latest episode of the Quickly Kevin podcast is ace. Interview with Steve Bull. Seems like a top bloke. Brings back memories of watching him banging the goals in on a Sunday afternoon when the championship was still shown on terrestrial TV. It was either that or watch the football Italia on channel 4. Still not sure I made the right choice. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

The latest episode of the Quickly Kevin podcast is ace. Interview with Steve Bull. Seems like a top bloke. Brings back memories of watching him banging the goals in on a Sunday afternoon when the championship was still shown on terrestrial TV. It was either that or watch the football Italia on channel 4. Still not sure I made the right choice. 

Have they done the third Steve Bruce book yet? The first two podcasts were amazing.

20 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Have they done the third Steve Bruce book yet? The first two podcasts were amazing.

Yeah they did it a while back. I must've listened to the Steve Bruce episodes at least 5 times each. Amazing stuff. 

• Upvote 1