rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

#playerstogether has warmed the cockles of my heart :wub:

20200408_230916.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ashamed Liverpool could not lead with an example like Southampton. Thank you Saints :wub:

Southampton have become the first Premier League club to announce their players will defer part of their salaries amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and his staff, as well as the board of directors, will also adopt the measure until June.

Southampton have also said they will not be using the government's furlough scheme during April, May and June and all staff not deferring their salaries will "continue to receive 100% of their pay".

• Upvote 3

Just seen that Bundesliga chief executive Christian Seifert states that games will resume at the start of May behind closed doors. Seems too soon imo

Germany have announced plans to slacken off their shutdown so behind closed doors could work there, its a sensible financial move as will place the Bundesliga as one of the few sporting things to watch in the coming months, even if it is behind closed doors weird games.

Just absent mindedly clicked on the fixture list in BBC. Didn’t even realise that all EFL games were scheduled for today instead of Saturday.

Stupid virus.

That report of German football restarting, but no fans until next year just boggles my mind. What’s the point in it?

You win promotion and can’t be there to watch it and then next season you can’t be there as well. There won’t/can’t be transfers really either.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I feel it’s a bit like the studios streaming films instead of holding them back for cinema release- just having football on the tv in empty arenas with no-one even able to watch it with friends, etc is going to have a big impact when people can go again if they end up feeling disassociated from their team.

Do Liverpool really want to win the league in front of no-one. Do Leeds want to finally go back up and then play Man U on the opening day next season and not get to go?

• Upvote 1

I think the point of playing behind empty doors is contractual to keep TV money and sponsorship deals rolling, as with all things football it'll be dressed up as being for the fans but is anything but that - contracts have been pre-agreed and probably don't have pandemic or behind closed doors clauses in (though undoubtedly will in future) - the Prem will do everything in its power to not have to rebate money to sky and BT for this season, and with teams like Bournemouth getting some 80% of their income from TV you can see why they will be so desperate to get games played under any circumstances.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

Do Liverpool really want to win the league in front of no-one. Do Leeds want to finally go back up and then play Man U on the opening day next season and not get to go?

Considerably more I suspect than they want to pay a couple of hundred million back in commercial deals or to lose the title entirely because we ditch the season.

Yeah, I think this season has to finish somehow, then delay the next until crowds can watch. Even if it means worrying til next summer. I think the European leagues should try and sync up though, else the transfer window will get complicated. 

• Upvote 1

Yep, out of the hands of the evil Sports Direct owner and into greener pastures of...

*checks*

Saudi Arabia's Sovereign Wealth Fund. Cool. 

• Upvote 4

I for one look forward to an away game at the "Women must be accompanied when outside" arena.

On 10/04/2020 at 07:42, Ork1927 said:

Wining the league behind closed doors is fucking shit, but if its a choice of having such an amazing season voided and not getting the reward or watching the team win the title they deserve behind closed doors then I'll take the latter.

Also this league win is the most Liverpool thing ever lol.

What does MOT mean?

Norman Hunter was a proper psycho. If it wasn't for Bobby Moore, he'd have been capped a load of times for England.

On 17/04/2020 at 15:05, Stigweard said:

Wining the league behind closed doors is fucking shit, but if its a choice of having such an amazing season voided and not getting the reward or watching the team win the title they deserve behind closed doors then I'll take the latter.

Also this league win is the most Liverpool thing ever lol.

I think we could finally agree that ‘Liverpooly’ is the correct term and not ‘Spursy’ when this season gets voided ;) 

• Empathy 1

14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think we could finally agree that ‘Liverpooly’ is the correct term and not ‘Spursy’ when this season gets voided ;) 

No matter how much you try, Spurs'ing it up will never not be a thing. Sorry bud, it's practically a Spurs trademark now.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

You missed the bit about actually winning something still ;)