rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

7 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

I would be so pissed off if I was a Liverpool fan. I feel really sorry for them. It's not like they're 2 points ahead having played a game more, they're a full 25 points ahead, having played a game more. The odds on them not winning the league must have been tiny. Literally only an act of God could stop them.

It already has :(

• Upvote 1

I know it's no consolation, but as a Man Utd fan, you guys have been awesome in the last two seasons. I do feel for you. Let's hope Liverpool win the league next season if this one does indeed get voided so some justice is done.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I am a Liverpool fan and have resigned myself to it happening. They are the exception to every possible rule when it comes to winning the title (like top at Christmas) and the act of God required to stop them winning it this season has happened.

The top at Christmas thing is a half-truth. Several sides have topped the league at Christmas and failed to lift the Premier League, including Arsenal and Man United.

92/93 - Norwich

95/96 - Newcastle

96/97 - Liverpool

98/99 - Aston Villa

99/00 - Leeds

01/02 - Newcastle

02/03 - Arsenal

03/04 - Man United

07/08 - Arsenal

08/09 - Liverpool

13/14 - Liverpool

18/19 - Liverpool

Liverpool are pretty good at being top when Santa empties his sack, but they haven’t got exclusivity on it.

I think this is spot on. Other lad tries to chime in that what hes saying makes no sense and he just shoots him down. Its makes perfect sense. If you're the kind of person who is happy the Corona virus stopped Liverpool winning a title then fuck right off because it meant thousands of people suffered and died just so you can have some "footy bantz". I don't think anyone on here has that mind set, even the people who really dislike Liverpool here. 

• Upvote 3

Now the Dutch FA have made their decision, there are going to be many legal ramifications depending on who does what in other countries. 

Who gets European sports from the Eredivisie? What is the Serie A is completed and they have legit qualifiers? What if it decided to null and void all leagues now? What happens with trophies already handed out? 

This is going to be a massive mess to clean up no matter what. 

If this season is cancelled then it's going to kill football for me. Liverpool have been waiting forever for this, they've been so exceptionally dominant that it would be a complete travisty were they not to take the title.

Honestly I would prefer to have some kind of play-off for positions that aren't absolutely clearly solved.

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I think this is spot on. Other lad tries to chime in that what hes saying makes no sense and he just shoots him down. Its makes perfect sense. If you're the kind of person who is happy the Corona virus stopped Liverpool winning a title then fuck right off because it meant thousands of people suffered and died just so you can have some "footy bantz". I don't think anyone on here has that mind set, even the people who really dislike Liverpool here. 

Feels like a pure strawman to me - I'm not sure I've seen a single person say anything even close to this.

2 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Feels like a pure strawman to me - I'm not sure I've seen a single person say anything even close to this.

Then you’ve obviously never been on Twitter...

5 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Then you’ve obviously never been on Twitter...

Well, yeah, I don't really go to that cesspool for my football chat, I will admit.

To be fair, it's possible to accept it's horribly unfair and a better solution should be found.

But at the same time find it really funny.

• Upvote 7

But its not though is it, its football tribalism at it's worse when you boil it right down.

"Hahaha you waited 30 years to win the title and just before you did a virus that killed thousands of people around the world stopped you. Oh well, never mind that at least we can laugh about it cause it wasn't our club"

I've always maintained that null and voiding any of the leagues around Europe at this stage is ridiculous when we don't even know if next season can even go ahead. Too many seem to think we should just end it now.and start again in August when that might not even be an option. 

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

But its not though is it, its football tribalism at it's worse when you boil it right down.

"Hahaha you waited 30 years to win the title and just before you did a virus that killed thousands of people around the world stopped you. Oh well, never mind that at least we can laugh about it cause it wasn't our club"

I've always maintained that null and voiding any of the leagues around Europe at this stage is ridiculous when we don't even know if next season can even go ahead. Too many seem to think we should just end it now.and start again in August when that might not even be an option. 

Football tribalism is by far my most hated thing about football. Is it really so hard for a Man Utd fan to accept that Thierry Henry was a great player, or for a Liverpool fan to respect Paul Scholes. Oh, that and the homophobia, and the culture of saying literally anything if you think it might put off an opposition player. Things you would never say to even your worst enemy. Fans chanting "I hope your wife dies of cancer" to David Beckham after the Simeone red card incident. Disgusting.

• Upvote 7

Yup its ridiculous.

As a small exampe, my mate was trying to say he didnt think Gazza was all that (which is ridiculous) and I was quoting Alex Fergusson as someone who thought Gazza was amazing and how one of his biggest regrets was not being able to sign him. He then started banging on about why am I loving Fergie so much as a Liverpool fan, what was wrong with me etc. I mean, come on, any football fan in the world has to respect the fact that he was an amazing manager regardless of who you support and if he's saying something about a player you listen and respect it.

9 hours ago, Stigweard said:

While I think this season will end up scrapped, this is the elephant in the room that hasn’t really been reported on. There’s a high chance any new season, whenever that might start, will be interrupted by a second wave of COVID because let’s face it, we’re not all getting a vaccine right away even if one is produced this year.

Germany resuming their football season might offer a blueprint for others to follow but one case of the virus ends the whole exercise. Domestic football might return in some capacity later in the year, but doubt European competitions can be entertained until well after a vaccine is widely distributed.

I'm less bothered by deciding 'good things' like having out the title or Euro spots than I am about the concept of relegating a team on an incomplete season - relegation is so damaging, so huge, it's just wrong to subject a team that has struggled for years to get up and invested to do so to that without them having a full chance to maintain their position.

• Upvote 1

Football without tribalism would be weird. 

Probably ok if you only watch it on TV I guess. 

It is ok to see the funny side, doesn’t mean you don’t appreciate the terrible situation the world is in right now. 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Football without tribalism would be weird. 

Probably ok if you only watch it on TV I guess. 

It is ok to see the funny side, doesn’t mean you don’t appreciate the terrible situation the world is in right now. 

I think you’ve misunderstood what they mean. Rivalry is all fine and good, it’s more the whole singing songs about people dying etc. that they’re on about not the odd burst of shit on the Villa. There’s definitely a section of fan that goes too far. As an example, the photographer Kevin Cummins. I follow him on twitter because he’s great at what he does, I grew up looking at his images, but get him onto football and he loses all perspective. Everything, and I mean everything, is a conspiracy against Man City. 

• Upvote 3

If the season is voided it would be the second season in a row that Liverpool have only lost one game and failed to win the league. Voiding is a nightmare due to the knock on effects with regards to promotion and relegation and prize money and like others have said there's no guarantee something similar won't affect the next season when it starts. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AfromB said:

I think you’ve misunderstood what they mean. Rivalry is all fine and good, it’s more the whole singing songs about people dying etc. that they’re on about not the odd burst of shit on the Villa. There’s definitely a section of fan that goes too far. As an example, the photographer Kevin Cummins. I follow him on twitter because he’s great at what he does, I grew up looking at his images, but get him onto football and he loses all perspective. Everything, and I mean everything, is a conspiracy against Man City. 

I did misunderstand then if what you're saying is right, I completely agree with what you say here.

I thought people were saying it's wrong to have a joke about Liverpool because people are dying, which seems a bit overly sensitive to me.

1 hour ago, AfromB said:

That is what they’re saying, sort of.  

Not at all, and actually suggesting that people are happy for people to die so that Liverpool don’t win the league is vastly worse than the reality that it’s human nature to find the funny in the awful.

• Upvote 2

So me pointing out that people are saying it is worse than people actually saying it?

There is a world of difference between gallows humour and the type of regressive nonsense that is commonly passed off as football humour. 

2 hours ago, AfromB said:

So me pointing out that people are saying it is worse than people actually saying it?

There is a world of difference between gallows humour and the type of regressive nonsense that is commonly passed off as football humour. 

If people are saying ‘I’m glad people are dying as it means Liverpool don’t win the league’ then obv that’s worse and totally wrong..... I’ve not heard that from anyone, even daily mail reading Man Utd fan friends.

• Upvote 3

They’re  out there and you don’t have to dig very far to find them. Although It sounds like we’re all basically agreeing here anyway. 

I’d the season is voided then I thinks it’s fairly likely that the first weekend of people being able to attend football again with be full of reports of opposition fans goading teams that have lost out - Liverpool, Leeds, etc.

Be that their rivals at their own games or the team the Liverpool’s and Leeds are playing that day.

It may be a minority/it may be half the ground, but it will happen.

Listening to the Athletic's player of the year stuff has been pretty enjoyable. The Liverpool guy wanted to put seven Liverpool players on a shortlist six, but he seems like the sort of guy who'd argue that the Mersey is a better river than the Nile, however it got me thinking who should it be? I kinda like the argument that Trent Alexander-Arnold should win it as he's redefining what a full back can be but Kevin de Bruyne is the best player in the league isn't he? 

KDB all the way. The guy is a machine and I like his attitude. 

How can you void a season when you don’t even know when the next one starts? It’s not going to be hunky dory by August, we definitely won’t be able to have stadiums full for fans for another year. Unless you can guarantee that everything will be back to normal by August (news flash, it won’t) then why void the season in expectation of a season that no one knows when will it start? Secondly, as pointed out there will be a second wave and next season will have to be suspended at some point, so we void that one too? You’d have to as you’d have set the precedent. So two voided seasons. Might as well play the games when they can be played, give up that a whole season can pre set for now, it can’t, and possibly suspend all cup competitions next season to give this one and next league season some breathing space. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

How can you void a season when you don’t even know when the next one starts? It’s not going to be hunky dory by August, we definitely won’t be able to have stadiums full for fans for another year. Unless you can guarantee that everything will be back to normal by August (news flash, it won’t) then why void the season in expectation of a season that no one knows when will it start? Secondly, as pointed out there will be a second wave and next season will have to be suspended at some point, so we void that one too? You’d have to as you’d have set the precedent. So two voided seasons. Might as well play the games when they can be played, give up that a whole season can pre set for now, it can’t, and possibly suspend all cup competitions next season to give this one and next league season some breathing space. 

Isn’t the issue that player contracts run to a certain date and past that you can’t stop them moving - you can’t really see how a ‘season’ can be finished when teams can’t put out players that vaguely match what they had at the close of the last transfer window. Teams with lots of loan players are vulnerable to this but also players who are out of contract on X date this season will possibly have moves lined up or lucrative over seas paydays etc. 

It almost looks inevitable that the season will be voided but what happens next is a complete unknown.

The real issue is how many clubs will be lost without some form of income, how many contracts between sponsors etc and clubs will be in dispute - will those companies be around to pay!? 

If the Bundesliga is able to resume then I'd say it's inevitable that the Premier League will also complete the season. I know Germany and the UK have been affected differently by the virus but I can't see club owners in England giving up the financial advantage their TV deals give them over rival leagues even if it's just for one year.