rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

EA aren't going to not release a money-spinning FIFA game in their annual slot because of a piddling little thing like not knowing the which teams are in which division, which doesn't matter for the only mode they care about.

• Upvote 1

The BBC have a great vote thing at the moment. A really interesting one. Why isn't Shearer on it though?

I voted.

Screenshot_20200429_131345.thumb.jpg.3fc52181ca7610c10d9a1628255387d7.jpg

35 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

The BBC have a great vote thing at the moment. A really interesting one. Why isn't Shearer on it though?

I voted.

Might be that he is one of the three on the Podcast (with Wright and Lineker), but he was on the list for best Captain so maybe not.

Edit: I guess technically Blackburn were big 6 for the first 3 years of the Premier League era. No other club can make that claim (Leicester one win, but weren't up there before and only back in that zone this season since).

39 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

EA aren't going to not release a money-spinning FIFA game in their annual slot because of a piddling little thing like not knowing the which teams are in which division, which doesn't matter for the only mode they care about.

As somebody already said, that kind of thing can surely be addressed later with a patch, the only difficult part would be any teams/players arriving that didn't already have likenesses set up.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I voted.

You've seriously under-rated Juninho there. Okocha too, I'd argue, but I just really enjoyed watching him and accept that arguably he wasn't particularly effective. 

3 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

Might be that he is one of the three on the Podcast (with Wright and Lineker), but he was on the list for best Captain so maybe not.

Edit: I guess technically Blackburn were big 6 for the first 3 years of the Premier League era. No other club can make that claim (Leicester one win, but weren't up there before and only back in that zone this season since).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52440999

It was the traditional top six. 

Vote here.

12 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

You've seriously under-rated Juninho there. Okocha too, I'd argue, but I just really enjoyed watching him and accept that arguably he wasn't particularly effective. 

Juninho didn't play long enough and nor did Okocha. 

I'd be amazed if Le Tissier didn't come out on top.

I was trying to think of others. Ginola but then they're counting Spurs as top six.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham.

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Okocha should be on there twice. 

At Bolton he scored 14 goals in 124 games. That's a bit rubbish for an attacking player. That's why I put him last.

12 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

At Bolton he scored 14 goals in 124 games. That's a bit rubbish for an attacking player. That's why I put him last.

But he is so good. He should be on there twice. 

On 28/03/2020 at 22:57, milko said:

I’ve not tried looking at those numbers in depth but I know the mooted hypothetical “if we do this closed doors scenario” for, ugh I should be careful sorry, a really big PL team I work with, was 500 people in the stadium to run a single match and televise it. He’s putting that as the whole number across the entire league! They might be able to chop that down a good bit if they really have to (not sure I remember correctly but I think 100 were VIP places, the rest for players and staff) but it’s a shitload more than he’s considering in his scenario, I think. We are hoping to take 3 places out of that, would get by with 2, anything less (0 and doing it remotely is possible) would be a “no guarantee or liability” scenario. I imagine pretty much all involved would start from that kind of principle; it’s going to be hard. 

This article about "Project Restart" reckons 300 people in a stadium.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/29/premier-leagues-project-restart-what-is-it-and-is-it-feasible

I've also heard a bit of talk about hosting all of it in a small number of stadia, which sounds a bit like the idea UEFA were talking about before. Logistics don't look any less crazy either way.

Matt Le Tissier is top of that pack by a mile. For me if you removed the ridiculous caveat of 'top 6' – only three of those teams have consistently finished there in the Premiership era anyway – he'd still be top 10. He was unbelievably gifted and made it look easy despite being built like a retired dock worker.

• Upvote 1

As a Leeds fan I am obviously anxious to see the season concluded in one way or another when it is safe to do so.

One idea that has been mooted  though which is a total dealbreaker for me in terms of football in general even though it does not affect Leeds directly, is awarding the Champions League places to teams based on their past 5 seasons performances in that competition.  In other words giving the places to the big boys regardless of what kind of season they were having, presumably because UEFA think and sadly probably correctly there is more money in watching the same old teams reach the last 16 every season, making it ever harder for new teams to break through.

I think football has to think very carefully about how it returns, as an awful lot of fans are getting used to it not being around.  Particularly if they feel their clubs have been screwed over on its return, then not nearly as many as they might assume will come straight back onboard.

• Upvote 1

The champions league restructuring surfaced in the FA accounts I believe this week, its what is under discussion alongside a new 3rd tier competition.

I think it's inevitable, especially if they want to sustain the size of TV deals they've been seeing, there is a lot of tat in the CL rounds before xmas.

I believe the nations league at international level paved the way for this type of tiering as it generated way more interest than they expected.

Also interested in reports yesterday that HMRC have briefed several clubs that they will take a major interest in them if they have registered for various government schemes as part of COVID then find pots of cash to sign new players.

Football needs to be very careful of its place in society now, there was a lot of feeling about the money side of things before all this, which I think now we're all a lot more sensitive to going forward.

• Upvote 1

I was going to say that I thought I had heard something about the CL regulars getting some kind of advantage to add in to their already huge built-in advantages.  (I think it was club coefficient increases at the expense of national coefficient, so if a club missed a CL season they would get back in the next year above a "new" team who had finished above them.  Mentioning no Man Utds, Arsenals, AC Milans etc etc.)

Also, I think that the major leagues now don't have to worry about that pesky qualifying stage either.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Matt Le Tissier is top of that pack by a mile. For me if you removed the ridiculous caveat of 'top 6' – only three of those teams have consistently finished there in the Premiership era anyway – he'd still be top 10. He was unbelievably gifted and made it look easy despite being built like a retired dock worker.

Yeah, without that caveat Le Tiss and maybe Vardy would still make the list.  So there's no way they're not the top 2 of that list.

Ugh.

And straight after they ruin the Europa League by basically stopping the interesting teams playing the ones that think they're too good for the Europa League.

Although this looks like it replaces that with something even dumber.

• Upvote 1

I quite like the idea, and that is allowing for the fact it doesn't get Arsenal a spot in the proper big competition

I want to watch midweek games between the giants of Europe, watching them play an assortment of smaller clubs isn't that appealing, the CL really only gets going in the KO stages, what comes before is best watched on the goals show with multi screen up on BT sport. 

But then the big only get bigger.  It's just a case of "I got mine, fuck the rest of you" which has been killing football for years.  People won't be happy until European Club Football resembles the NFL with it's closed shop forcing new fans of the sport to pick from an ever decreasing number of uberclubs.  

• Upvote 3

I recall reading though that the CL viewing figures on TV across europe and wider have been dropping significantly in recent years, the current model isn't attracting enough viewers willing to pay to watch it.

May not be a meritocracy but I think the demands of the TV audience (who pay the way in football now) will be for a format that guarantees the big teams.

It stinks in my opinion.  Teams should be there on merit and if a couple of the big names are not up to scratch in any given season then tough.  The onus should be on them to hunker down and do better the following season.  If they go down this route they risk seriously damaging the National leagues as well.  

Like I said earlier they want to be very careful about assuming fans are just going to flock back on resumption.  My BT sport subscription being renewed depends on what they do with the CL for end of this season and then places for the next.  My Sky Sports subscription will depend how fairly I consider Leeds to have been treated.

• Upvote 1

I can't read that proposal correctly at all.

Beyond the first season,  it would only be possible to enter this League by reaching the semi-finals of League Two or winning a domestic league (the maximum country cap of five clubs remain.

One way of reading that is that for some reason, after selecting the first season based on domestic performance over four years, all future seasons are then based on winning the title or finishing in the top four of the Europa League. 

Another - probably more likely - way is that once you're in, you're in unless you get relegated out of it. But there's no mention of relegation anywhere else. Entry to the Europa League doesn't discuss CL performance as an entry criteria - only the Conference League or domestic performance. If you don't relegate teams out of it, then you can't add teams either.

So which is it? Second seems much more likely because the drafting of teams based on a few years of performance seems pointless to do on a one-off basis.

Didn't Juventus propose a European Super League where they've be permanent members because, you know, they're Juventus.   As soon as we start fucking about with the status quo then clubs with the most influence will lobby to get things changed in their interests. Some clubs (like Juventus) have been at the top for years, but they look at what's happened to AC Milan or even Arsenal and know that it is possible to slip away from that top table of European football if one or two iffy seasons lead to a more permanent slide and the teams currently at the top would love to legislate to make sure that doesn't happen to them.  

Of course there will be fans of clubs who are happy to be in a European Super League because they know they'll be invited, but if it turns out they then become the mid table also rans of that European Super League because they can't keep up with Real Madrid and PSG's spending power then will it still seem like a good idea? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

I quite like the idea, and that is allowing for the fact it doesn't get Arsenal a spot in the proper big competition

I want to watch midweek games between the giants of Europe, watching them play an assortment of smaller clubs isn't that appealing, the CL really only gets going in the KO stages, what comes before is best watched on the goals show with multi screen up on BT sport. 

Well yeah because you're watching at home.  Also teams BECOME the giants of europe.  If we'd had this system 50 years you'd be watching Nottingham Forest v Hamburg this weekend because the system would have kept them nicely safe all these years.

Hell, if the only guaranteed way in is winning the league, Liverpool might have been out of it since the 80s, Spurs wouldn't be close, Chelsea would only have anywhere close very recently and remember Man City were 3rd tier not long ago.  Oh and Man Utd didn't win a title in 25 years.

Giants is only who is good now. With this system the turnover will be tiny.  It'd be like if laws mandated Jethro Tull as the best selling artist of the year every year, it's deeply tedious.

I actually go to euro matches and I will very much miss being able to see CSKA, Maribor, BATE, dynamo Kiev, Mol Vidi....

This will mean every year is just going to be "Porto", "Napoli", "Bordeaux" forever. 

I mean this is how we end up with the shit in Scotland where Rangers and Celtic play each other 8 times a year.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I can't read that proposal correctly at all.

One way of reading that is that for some reason, after selecting the first season based on domestic performance over four years, all future seasons are then based on winning the title or finishing in the top four of the Europa League. 

Another - probably more likely - way is that once you're in, you're in unless you get relegated out of it. But there's no mention of relegation anywhere else. Entry to the Europa League doesn't discuss CL performance as an entry criteria - only the Conference League or domestic performance. If you don't relegate teams out of it, then you can't add teams either.

So which is it? Second seems much more likely because the drafting of teams based on a few years of performance seems pointless to do on a one-off basis.

Got to be second as otherwise why not just go immediately with league winner from the get go? If it is 32 teams and only winners can qualify going forward then it can't be ALL the leagues as they aren't going to let the winners of smaller countries play in their super elite competition and it would mean some years one of Barca and Read wouldn't be involved.

I reckon its going to be a closed shop of say 20 teams based on last few years and then winners of other leagues get to do qualifying for the other spots weighted towards weeding out the smaller countries teams plus Europa League Top 4 from previous year. Not sure what happens if a team does a Leicester and wins a big league already full of permanent teams, but they can just mess with qualifying to accommodate that.

I'm sure when it was discussed before it meant more games as well so the big boys can demand that the League Cup is scrapped entirely and FA Cup takes place on Thursday nights and only is played for 45 minutes a game.

On 28/04/2020 at 15:02, ryodi said:

French league has been cancelled and UEFA want to know by the 25th May whether the leagues plan to get going again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52456304

The German and Italian leagues are preparing to start up again and the UK government clearly wants football to start again here to help distract from their disastrous handling of the pandemic. 

France have now awarded PSG the League and decided relegation and promotion on points per game.

Also, some reports that they EFL unlikely to finish due to logistics of all those games needing to be played across 3 leagues even if they are behind closed doors.

I think the lots going to get cancelled shortly. Speculation that they’ll let Leeds and West Brok go up and not relegate anyone which would sort out a few issues as the potential play off teams would struggle to argue they’d been denied promotion.

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

I recall reading though that the CL viewing figures on TV across europe and wider have been dropping significantly in recent years, the current model isn't attracting enough viewers willing to pay to watch it.

May not be a meritocracy but I think the demands of the TV audience (who pay the way in football now) will be for a format that guarantees the big teams.

If your main concern is TV viewers then what’s the point?

We can stop pretending it’s a sport. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

If your main concern is TV viewers then what’s the point?

It is clearly the main concern of the game, sure clubs pay lip service to their fans but look at the % of revenue for most clubs that comes from TV, you simply don't get to take the cash and not answer to the paymaster.