Football Thread 2019/2020

4 hours ago, Plissken said:

During training for restarting the Bundesliga, three Cologne players have tested positive for Covid-19.

Not necessarily players. 

After three positive tests, three people at 1. FC Köln are now in quarantine. The group training can continue.

1. FC Köln had the entire team and coaching staff, along with the backroom staff, tested on Thursday for COVID-19. Three people tested positive, all are symptom free. After an assessment of the cases by the responsible health authorities, the three people who tested positive will go into a 14-day quarantine at home. 1. FC Köln will not confirm any names out of respect for the privacy of those affected.

1. FC Köln’s training can continue as planned, according to the hygiene and infection control measures that have been in place since April 6th in group training. The prerequisite for this is that the relevant group of people are tested further, as stated for in the medical concept of the "Taskforce Sports Medicine/Special Game Operation" from the DFL.

That's taken from their website. 

The latest on a Premier League return appears to be neutral venues by area, with teams potentially holed up in hotels for a six week period.

Did read one suggestion that mooted all remaining games being played at the St George's Park, home of the FA Academy pitches, which made me think of this ad (sadly the only quality is PotatoVision)

1 hour ago, glb said:

The latest on a Premier League return appears to be neutral venues by area, with teams potentially holed up in hotels for a six week period.

Did read one suggestion that mooted all remaining games being played at the St George's Park, home of the FA Academy pitches, which made me think of this ad (sadly the only quality is PotatoVision)

Steve Stone! :lol:

Prem clubs say they will only play at neutral grounds if no relegation.

So EFL will likely be cancelled as they can’t, understandably, play all their games, but maybe a couple of EFL clubs will be lucky enough to host the rest of the Premier a league season that, with no relegation, will be completely pointless once Liverpool win the title in the first couple of games.

Unless anyone cares who qualifies for European competitions that are unlikely to happen. It will just be a series of glorified friendlies.

Not having relegation renders the whole exercise futile, and pretty much pointless. Removing meaning from the vast majority of the games then undermines the efforts that will be needed to put them on in the first place.

13 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

Unless anyone cares who qualifies for European competitions that are unlikely to happen. It will just be a series of glorified friendlies.

And if fear of losing TV subscriptions is the big driving factor for starting football again, is delivering a substandard product for a couple of months counter productive? 

3 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

And if fear of losing TV subscriptions is the big driving factor for starting football again, is delivering a substandard product for a couple of months counter productive? 

And I think there will a lot of anger if they cancel relegation and no other league gets to play regardless of if they promote Leeds and West Brom just so they can play pointless games that will mean nothing. Might as well play 3 rounds of games for all 3 leagues and dole out all the TV riches equally. I know why, but Wolves and Palace and whoever getting to play 8 pointless games while West Brom and Charlton get to play none seems a little unfair.

Some talk that there would be some sort of play-off for the third promotion place from the Championship which I think would be a lot more controversial than just promoting the top 2 who at least have a decent enough lead and have been consistently up there all season.

While I never thought Cardiff would make the play-offs or have a chance of winning them - its a much bigger call to let 4 teams play for the big promotion prize when a few teams are a couple of points away. Additionally if 3 did go up and no relegation then the following season will either be a joke in the Prem with mega relegation or opportunities to escape the Championship will be restricted with less promotion spots.

But then at the equivalent point last season Leeds were in an automatic spot and were 19 points ahead of my lot (Villa) before they had an epic collapse and we went on a club record winning streak and got promoted at their expense.  It aint over until the fat lady sings and whoever loses out in whatever solution is proposed is going to have serious issues which will probably end up in court.   

Very true.

I reckon there is a bid danger that the Premier League and FA end up treating this like the WWE and all that matters is fulfilling their TV contracts and to hell with sporting integrity or the remaining games actually meaning something.

And if most of the EFL doesn't exist at the end of all this (as they can't afford to play behind closed doors with no income) then that is fine as people can watch Arsenal vs Man City at St James Park in the opening game of the closed door 20/21 season - Premier League only - every single game live all played at different times. No relegation/no cups/who gives a shit.

On 02/05/2020 at 17:13, Plissken said:

During training for restarting the Bundesliga, three Cologne players have tested positive for Covid-19.

Things got worse for the Bundesliga today, with former Chelsea player Saloman Kalou posting this from Hertha Berlin's dressing room.

Judging from the footage there is no chance that players abide by the rules and their pay cut clearly hasn't sat right with them.

5 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Video doesn't open with Tony Yeboah. Pfft.

Even as a Liverpool fan, I love watching the Tony Yeboah goal against us. The one against Wimbledon though, was something else. 

15 hours ago, Revival said:

That Giroud goal...

I've never understood the love for that Giroud goal. Sure, very unique, but it doesn't compare to the pure skill and execution of a lot of the others. Take the Yeboah goal, or Coutinho's or the Scholes one. Just exquisite skill with full intention of what they were going for. Giroud's is a nice bit of improvisation, buy really all he's doing here is sticking out a leg and trying to get anything on it. It ends up going in and looks nice because it's off the bar. But to me it's just a bit of a fluke really.

1 hour ago, Hylian said:

I've never understood the love for that Giroud goal. 

A great team move finished with improvisation that few would even attempt let alone execute - sure he'd miss more than he scores of those but that isn't really the point, it's not like some botched cross that floats in at the back post. 

The only sour note from that goal was the rubbish celebration a week or 2 later when we got a late equaliser somewhere and instead of getting the ball and going for the win they all chose to celebrate in a pre rehearsed manner.

My dad would look at every one of those goals with his stock comment of 'nearly missed didn't he' 

On 04/05/2020 at 21:04, bradigor said:

The one against Wimbledon though, was something else. 

That one is easily my favourite goal to watch, ever. The speed and power, almost as soon as it comes off his chest the determination and directness is visible, one of those "I'm fucking having this" moments that's so relatable to anyone who's kicked a ball, except he actually pulls it off. Doesn't have the wonderful precision and elegance of the Scholes volley just before, or the craft and lightness of touch and control of something like Bergkamp's classic vs Argentina, but it doesn't matter. It beats the latter for me simply because it's as visceral as it's deft, plus who can't love such a belter to go in off the underside of the bar to boot. Speaking of which, to widen the inclusion net I'd put Tim Cahill's WC 2014 volley in as the second best in off the bar ever, after that Yeboah one. Still can't believe Rodriguez's effort won the the best goal of that tournament, with van Persie's header as well his wasn't even top 2 for me.

6 hours ago, stefcha said:

That one is easily my favourite goal to watch, ever. The speed and power, almost as soon as it comes off his chest the determination and directness is visible, one of those "I'm fucking having this" moments that's so relatable to anyone who's kicked a ball, except he actually pulls it off. Doesn't have the wonderful precision and elegance of the Scholes volley just before, or the craft and lightness of touch and control of something like Bergkamp's classic vs Argentina, but it doesn't matter. It beats the latter for me simply because it's as visceral as it's deft, plus who can't love such a belter to go in off the underside of the bar to boot. Speaking of which, to widen the inclusion net I'd put Tim Cahill's WC 2014 volley in as the second best in off the bar ever, after that Yeboah one. Still can't believe Rodriguez's effort won the the best goal of that tournament, with van Persie's header as well his wasn't even top 2 for me.

Van Persie's header was iconic, and unique. I've never seen a goal like that before or since. A lobbed header over one of the best goalkeepers in the world, from a 60 yard pass. It's a remarkable goal.

If you can't wait until then and are slathering like a ravenous dog at the opportunity to watch football, any fucking football will do please and thank you, then the mighty K-League starts on Friday. Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors face off against Suwon Samsung. Just who is your favourite South Korean conglomerate? This will decide it forever. Oh, and what's that? It's being streamed live on Youtube? At 10:45am on bank holiday Friday? Grab a bag of cans and get into it.

I have a feeling the standard may be a bit like a schoolyard kickabout, but as long as they're not wearing Kickers and the keeper isn't eating his packed lunch then it should be fine.

K-League isn’t bad. Probably the highest standard in Asia. At least it’s better than the Belorussian shite I’ve been watching the last few weeks.

Yeah the K League is a decent watch. They limit how many foreign players can play in each team to 3 or 4 so you see alot of South Korean International and under 21 players in the top teams. I watched a FC Seoul game when I was there a few years back. Will lose alot with no crowd  though as they were awesome. Chilled out but loads of noise dispite it not being a sell out.