rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

12 minutes ago, glb said:

Football without a crowd is like Friends without a laugh track

Still homophobic and sexist but people watch it Anyway ?

During this time of limited football, I've only realised now that Jordan Pickford was forced to pick the Twitter handle JPickford1 because our very own @JPickford had beaten him to the punch. Of course Jordan will say it relates to his shirt number but I don't think it does.

You may have noticed this already. I'm slow on the uptake, though.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Still homophobic and sexist but people watch it Anyway ?

Wasn’t really the intended angle but okay if you insist.

I think to counter-act the empty stadiums and lack of fitness  then every round of the Premier League should have a different rule (some stolen from Fifa).

Week 1: Survival Mode - team loses a player when they score

Week 2: Headers and Volleys: Only Headers and Volleys count as goals

Week 3: Long Shots: Goals Outside the box count double

Week 4: No Offsides: As it sounds

Week 5: Multiball: Additional footballs introduced at various times

Week 6: Legends: Every team must play a legendary striker/attacking midfielder and only their goals count.

Week 7: Mascots: Entire team must wear be dressed in full club mascot costume.

Week 8:  Barbed Wire, Explosive Death Match: Barbed Wire around pitch - small explosive devices buried in the turf.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

Nick Hancock (and Gary Linekar) have apologised to Luke Chadwick after this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52652459

He was on a recent episode of Und’r The Cosh podcast and came across as a lovely guy. Good on him got coming out and publicising the impact of those taunts. 

• Upvote 1

Oh my God, I completely forgot about this:

Love him just scything people down whenever he loses it.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Why were City wearing that kit at home?

Marketing. It was next season's away kit, so that was a sort of kit launch. And what a kit launch with Calamity flailing about smashing into bewildered opposition defenders.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

gah, fucking rangers fans are going to be moaning about this forever

Caley Thistle looked to have been well fucked over but it looks sorted now. 

16 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

gah, fucking rangers fans are going to be moaning about this forever

The whole thing with Caley Thistle and the promotion vote was ridiculous.

So the guy who likes to make casseroles out of journalists is close to buying Newcastle? Surely he can’t pass the fit and proper test? 

Sports journalists who criticise Newcastle’s performance next season better not go visiting any Saudi consulates. 

Hull are the first Championship side to oppose restarting the season. Can't think why. 

20200519_141017.thumb.jpg.f1effc8d782212c4cb33d241e831caf8.jpg

• Upvote 1

Given that the Championship is mental anyway and the gap between the last game and the first game back is going to be longer than between two seasons then the form book coud be completely ripped up across the board.

Maybe not for poor old Hull, but its not unknown for teams that finished one season well and were subsequently favorites for promotion to be rubbish the next year. It won't just be relegation threatened clubs who might start crying halfway through the restart. Imagine Leeds collapse again and can't pick up a win and their top 2 place looks in serious danger <cough>

The thing about the Saudis buying Newcastle is that they've been pirating the Premier League as part of their ongoing spat with Qatar.  Which means either the PL piss off the Saudis and all that lovely cash or they piss off their largest international TV rights partner.

My sympathy for their predicament is not total.

• Upvote 1

Is it that much of a predicament - BEIN sports who are being pirated by the Saudis are legitimate rights holders paying the league millions for rights.

Newcastle being sold to the Saudis puts money into Mike Ashley's pocket not the league - a big NE club being well financed and doing well is attractive but its not like there aren't other sleeping giants lining up like Leeds waiting to take a place in the league.

Giving the takeover 2 fingers on a failed fit and proper test would be a strong move - which of course makes it highly unlikely to happen.

Conversely though imagine if the PL blocked a takeover of a club by someone because of something Saudi's deny all knowledge of. 

(Like fuck they're not doing it but that's almost irrelevant)

It would be interesting to see the fit and proper persons test up against the bottomless pit of Saudi funded lawyers.

The fit and proper test has always been a load of shit anyway. No one fails it. :( 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Dan said:

The fit and proper test has always been a load of shit anyway. No one fails it. :( 

Not even that Portsmouth owner who didn't actually exist.  Although "fit and proper" is about actual criminal conviction as opposed to mere incompetence in running a business.

I'm trying to think of who did fail it.  I want to say a Blackpool owner did - Valery Belokons.  Though in typical FA style, I think that when he finally won a long-running battle over the Oystons defrauding him and the club out of millions, he couldn't take it over because of a conviction.  Can you fail it after the fact?  Massimo Cellino kicked out post-buying Leeds (insert amusing Leeds fan jpg here) for tax fraud convictions springs to mind.

Sod trying to do this from memory.  Off to Google.

Stephen Vaughan failed it after running several clubs into the ground, though was actually disqualified after VAT fraud with Widnes Vikings.  He sold Chester City to his son, so obviously that all went well afterward.  Craig Whyte failed it at Rangers after an enquiry and Louis Tomlinson of One Direction failed it (!) when trying to buy Rotherham.

The Bury owner who drove them into the ground simply sidestepped it by buying the holding company.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Not even that Portsmouth owner who didn't actually exist.  Although "fit and proper" is about actual criminal conviction as opposed to mere incompetence in running a business.

And to be fair, not existing is a pretty good way to avoid criminal convictions.

There's a name I've not heard in years, always thought he was worth an England call up in the 90s. Hope he's ok.