rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

2 hours ago, Danster said:

Thought this was pretty cool

IMG-20200520-WA0005.thumb.jpg.6dc1c03db780e651602c2401c5a58b3e.jpg

Aaand we may as well quote it to get it on the new page. 

I didn’t realise that pattern went back as far as 1978. 

That bloody Jabulani ball. What bullshit. I remember a guy from my five a side team bought one at the time, and we all had a laugh knuckleballing it at the goal. It was quite satisfying to hit, and you could really belt it because it was so light. You were never completely sure where it would go, but then I never was with any ball. It's telling that, given the chance to use it in a game, no-one wanted to because it didn't feel like a proper ball. Then they played a whole World Cup with it. 

EFL to keep promotion and relegation if season ended early. Another ridiculous decision from the FA

34 minutes ago, tbb said:

EFL to keep promotion and relegation if season ended early. Another ridiculous decision from the FA

But they will still have play-offs which feels like a logistical nightmare if one of the 4 teams comes under any sort of player loss disadvantage from the virus and that is 12 teams out of 76 having to train and get ready to play in the most important of games to determine their season while the clubs relegated have no opportunity to play themselves out of trouble.

Just saw something that said Charlton dropped into bottom 3 for the first time on the final week-end. There next game was Hull who they would go above if they won.

That 78 Adidas Tango brings back memories, playing footy in the street pretending to be Mario Kempes and then hoofing round on our bikes being Evel Knievel 

@disperse and recoagulate had the '98 one.  It was only allowed to touch grass, no road play for it.  It recently (last week) caused an argument between our parents :D 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tbb said:

They have to if they want the Premier League to relegate three clubs.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

I didn’t realise that pattern went back as far as 1978. 

Yeah I had no idea about that either!

35 minutes ago, Gotters said:

That 78 Adidas Tango brings back memories, playing footy in the street pretending to be Mario Kempes and then hoofing round on our bikes being Evel Knievel 

The 82 Spain ball for me, classic simple design, none of the busyness of the 86-onwards versions. Though my memories linked to it are from a good few years later, think I must've been 9-10 so would've been closer to the actual Mexico 86 cup, it's definitely the 82 ball I remember.

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

@disperse and recoagulate had the '98 one.  It was only allowed to touch grass, no road play for it.  It recently (last week) caused an argument between our parents :D 

As it should be!

3 hours ago, tbb said:

It's mental - they are rushing to unfairly finish a season so they can what.....get on with not having any idea about how and when the next one will start?

And it's not safe to play matches, but we can play play-offs? Which is it - either you can hold games safely or you can't surely?

Just realised: We're also going to get the mental situation where clubs are going to vote that it's "not safe to play, the season should be stopped now" - but then happily take part in play-off matches. Bonkers.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

8 hours ago, tbb said:

I don’t get how it’s a ridiculous decision? Surely it makes more sense than scrapping 75% of a season? 

Also, promotion, relegation, that’s football. So you get relegated? So what? Try and go back up next year. It’s not the end of the world.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dizogg said:

I don’t get how it’s a ridiculous decision? Surely it makes more sense than scrapping 75% of a season? 

Also, promotion, relegation, that’s football. So you get relegated? So what? Try and go back up next year. It’s not the end of the world.

The financial impact can be huge between League 2 and 1. 

League 1 has Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Oxford, Coventry, Rotherham, Bristol Rovers. That's 7 games where we'd get an extra 10,000 on the away gate. That's worth about £200k to us. 

League 2 away attendances are sometimes in double figures. We played Morecambe at home this year and they brought about 50 fans.

Add in Swindon, Charlton and Luton to League 1 and that's another 4-6,000 extra for us.

That's if people can go of course.

I'm not sure I want to until there's a vaccine.

Clubs will go out of business. Many are reliant on furlough.

• Upvote 1

This is the situation we’re in though. Many businesses (including football clubs) will suffer from this pandemic. Some unfortunately will go out of business.

If you’ve played well to get promoted this season and there’s no promotion you’re being punished because of this, and these teams are the last ones who should be punished. 

I'm I reading it right that they'll be a vote on whether to finish the season and it needs 51% to scrap the remaining games and use PPG.

If so, then that is the ball game in the Championship, 5 out of the 6 clubs at the top are almost certain to vote to finish now to go up or retain their play-off spot. The exception might be Fulham if they think they can chase down Leeds or West Brom.

There are 5 teams within 3 points of the drop so all of the are going to vote to finish now so they stay up.

So you need 3 more teams out of 13 to vote to finish now. The 3 at the bottom won't leaving 10 that could still technically make the play-offs. If 3 of them think its unlikely they will get there and its going to be more expensive to finish the season than not then season over.

18 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

I'm I reading it right that they'll be a vote on whether to finish the season and it needs 51% to scrap the remaining games and use PPG.

If so, then that is the ball game in the Championship, 5 out of the 6 clubs at the top are almost certain to vote to finish now to go up or retain their play-off spot. The exception might be Fulham if they think they can chase down Leeds or West Brom.

There are 5 teams within 3 points of the drop so all of the are going to vote to finish now so they stay up.

So you need 3 more teams out of 13 to vote to finish now. The 3 at the bottom won't leaving 10 that could still technically make the play-offs. If 3 of them think its unlikely they will get there and its going to be more expensive to finish the season than not then season over.

Would playoffs definitely happen though? As a Fulham fan ideally I'd like us to finish the season, mainly because if I'm totally honest there's a part of me that would like us to stay in the championship rather than go through what we went through last year again. Or at least have a trip to Wembley. Obviously this just isn;'t going to happen, football in front of a crowd is surely at least 6 months away, but if the playoffs are scrapped there's a chance Fulham will go up automatically, so I'd see us voting to finish now, surely?

• Upvote 1

Teamgeist from Germany 2006 will always be my number one.

My closest friend and I drove to Cologne for the England game vs Sweden.  Before the game we went to a shop and bought a size 3 version of the ball and played keepy up by the side of the Rhine in amongst the crowds.  Great week.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Would playoffs definitely happen though? As a Fulham fan ideally I'd like us to finish the season, mainly because if I'm totally honest there's a part of me that would like us to stay in the championship rather than go through what we went through last year again. Or at least have a trip to Wembley. Obviously this just isn;'t going to happen, football in front of a crowd is surely at least 6 months away, but if the playoffs are scrapped there's a chance Fulham will go up automatically, so I'd see us voting to finish now, surely?

I think they've said Play-off woulds happen (although who knows how) - I think the third place team going up automatically creates another set of arguments, but equally a closed door play-offs would be exceptionally strange.

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

This is the situation we’re in though. Many businesses (including football clubs) will suffer from this pandemic. Some unfortunately will go out of business.

If you’ve played well to get promoted this season and there’s no promotion you’re being punished because of this, and these teams are the last ones who should be punished. 

Promotions and relegations are frequently decided on goal difference.

Using a PL example, if you've played Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea twice and your opponent hasn't that's anything up to 9 points you're being penalised through an act of fixtures.

Someone used F1 races as an example where they offer full points if it goes to 75% but the thing is there, you've raced everyone for 75%.  In football you haven't played everyone until you've played everyone.

• Upvote 3

We got relegated on goal difference last season. 

We'll benefit from this but it doesn't sit easy with me. Our run in was quite easy but we had a Devon derby that didn't happen so that could have changed things. In League 2. The top three are the best teams in terms of football so it makes it feel less shitty but I wanted to watch us get promoted in the sunshine :(

Most Premier League fans will never experience promotion. It's fantastic.

• Upvote 1

Leeds CEO stated that it would be a 'National Embarrassment' if The Premier League and Championship aren't finished. Which is a ridiculously overblown thing to say.

An interesting tactic to rile up all the teams with players who don't really think we should restart who then decide for one game they will go all out to win as if its a cup final.

Leeds first two fixtures back are Cardiff away (and we are a terrible bogey side for them) and then Fulham at Home. They could be on the way to blowing it again within the first week of restart!

• Upvote 1

I honestly think any club that votes to stop the season, should be automatically removed from being eligible for play-off matches - it's mental that some clubs will vote to stop, fully intending to actually play on in the play-offs.

Just wait until it's safe, then play out what needs to be played - this issue is not going to go away overnight, so rushing to conclude this season doesn't really gain anything, we can't just 'get on' with the the next season with crowds coming back and money rolling in again. The idea that stopping now saves clubs is madness, it's not going to bring anything back any sooner - if you can't afford testing now, it's not going to change in a few months. Every club should be wanting to get games going again - even behind closed doors. At worst, there is some potential money to be made from streaming matches online etc

• Upvote 2

Yeah I know there are many business reasons why not but from a pure sporting perspective I quite liked "Finish this season, however long it takes".

Likely we're towards the end of the year at which point dump at least the league cup and run a half size season where everyone plays each other once to finish in May 2021.

I know home and away has an effect but quite frankly we'll rig it so you either play 1 and 4 from last season at home or 2 and 3 (and so on down) and it'll be pretty bloody close.

But there are so many non sporting reasons that'll never happen.

The problem you have now with 'take as long as it needs to be safe' is that France and Scotland have ended their seasons. Yet Germany have carried on and are actually playing. So can you really say we'll finish it in September, because it is safer then. How does that work with other league being ready to star the next season? 

It needed FIFA, UEFA, CONCACAF, etc along with individual FAs to come together early and work something out worldwide. 

I don't agree. We're in an unusual situation, there's no need to insist upon normality resuming next season, or all nations resuming on the same schedule. Not least when some are less affected than others.

Not to mention that countries around Europe don't all play the same dates anyway. Some play summer seasons, others play winter. UEFA haven't had any problems with that, or with transitional seasons when a nation switches from one to another as Russia did relatively recently.

Let every country find their own path out of it rather than rush some and restrict others in the search for some ideal. 

Cross-post from the Kindle thread

The Age of Football: The Global Game in the 21st Century by David Goldblatt is 99p today only. 

This is an absolute steal if you're vaguely interested in football. This is a wonderfully researched and well written account of the pervasive nature of football on our lives and its impact across cultures. This bit from Amazon gives you a feel for what it's about:-

"In The Age of Football, David Goldblatt charts football’s global cultural ascent, its economic transformation and deep politicization, taking in prison football in Uganda and amputee football in Angola, the role of football fans in the Arab Spring, the footballing presidencies of Bolivia’s Evo Morales and Turkey’s Recep Erdogan, China’s declared intention to both host and win the World Cup by 2050, and the FIFA corruption scandal."

I'm half way through it now and it's been superb. Can't recommend this enough.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, bradigor said:

The problem you have now with 'take as long as it needs to be safe' is that France and Scotland have ended their seasons. Yet Germany have carried on and are actually playing. So can you really say we'll finish it in September, because it is safer then. How does that work with other league being ready to star the next season? 

It needed FIFA, UEFA, CONCACAF, etc along with individual FAs to come together early and work something out worldwide. 

Still business really, there's no big sporting problem with that.  Who cares when Germany start their season?