rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Yeah, it's another 7 games to cram in when you're trying to finish a league quickly.

If Arsenal beat Man City then they should play the Merseyside Derby at the Etihad stadium for maximum LoLs. 

Edit: I’m obviously not serious. 

Bayern absolutely crushing the Bundesliga right now, 5-0 up against Dusseldorf after an hour.   If they are a month ahead of everybody else and carry this form at fitness into any restarted Champions League then they've got to be favourites, right? 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Bayern absolutely crushing the Bundesliga right now, 5-0 up against Dusseldorf after an hour.   If they are a month ahead of everybody else and carry this form at fitness into any restarted Champions League then they've got to be favourites, right? 

I agree they look terrifying but Dortmund had them on the back foot for alot of the game the other day. I think Man City or PSG would give them alot of problems if given that kind of space but with much better finishing. They must be favourites though.

Think Bayern suffer a bit in the same way PSG do in Europe; they’re dominant in their league but aren’t battled hardened when up against other big European sides.

City favourites with their squad I reckon. Pep was brought in to win that competition, he should be under enormous pressure if they don’t win it this year (although the European ban appeal might be a bigger factor on his future anyway)

City’s squad is oddly unbalanced when seen like this

Looks pretty balanced there. Their only real weakness is cover for Laporte (will read the Athletic article in full later though)

5 hours ago, glb said:

Think Bayern suffer a bit in the same way PSG do in Europe; they’re dominant in their league but aren’t battled hardened when up against other big European sides.

Really?  In the last ten years they've reached three finals (winning one), four semi finals and a quarter.  The only times they've failed to reach at least the quarters were in 2011 when they lost to the defending champions Internazionale and last season when they were knocked out by eventual winners Liverpool. The German league is pretty strong throughout. Bayern can definitely win it on the reg just by taking key players from their title rivals but they still face a decent level of competition most weekends.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Really?  In the last ten years they've reached three finals (winning one), four semi finals and a quarter.  The only times they've failed to reach at least the quarters were in 2011 when they lost to the defending champions Internazionale and last season when they were knocked out by eventual winners Liverpool. The German league is pretty strong throughout. Bayern can definitely win it on the reg just by taking key players from their title rivals but they still face a decent level of competition most weekends.   

QFs and SFs can go in a cabinet alongside Arsenal’s 4th place and Liverpool’s ‘we only missed out on the league by a point last year’ trophies. In 10 years, Bayern have won the Big Cup once. In 10 years before that they won it once. Prior to that there was a gap of 20-odd years. For a club of their size and domestic dominance (28 league titles) they don’t have as many European Cups as perhaps they should.

Admittedly PSG are a poor comparison in terms of European competition because they’re generally terrible in Europe.

But it's really hard to win. Bayern's recent record is favourable to pretty much any club in Europe who haven't had Leo Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo on their books.  

Historically only Real Madrid (13) AC Milan (7) and Liverpool (6) have won more than Bayern (5). Only Madrid and Milan have played in more finals. There are plenty of sides in Europe who people say should have won it more given their resources and domestic standing, but there can only be one Champion and the level of competition at the top is insane.  That's why it's such a coveted prize. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, glb said:

Looks pretty balanced there. Their only real weakness is cover for Laporte (will read the Athletic article in full later though)

There are a lot of players but look at how many of them he actually likes to pick, especially in the bigger matches - the comment kind of nails it that the team he can put out if they're all fit is great, but not so much beyond that. 

I've not looked this up but always feel Bayern never get one of those lucky years where they get to breeze thru the KO stages against teams that weren't expected to get there (apart from when they used to get a bye against Arsenal for a while) - the CL is the hardest thing to win though due to the level of competition and resources being deployed, sure they are a rich club compared to most but even that is dwarfed when put up against the likes of Real, Barca and the appeal those teams have in securing the top players. I'm pretty confident that Mbappe, Haaland or Sancho won't end up in Munich when they become available. 

• Upvote 1

Don’t disagree with either, but also doesn’t change the idea that Bayern look powerful domestically but I’d no more back them in Europe than Juve (a better like-for-like than PSG)

Both historically great clubs, both domestic powerhouses but are just big names to beat on the way to the final for other clubs.

On 30/05/2020 at 20:47, glb said:

Left wing is a bit short assuming Sane goes and Leeds take up the option on Harrison

Interesting situation in the Champ, Lyle Taylor says he won't play for Charlton in fear of getting injured and ruining his chances of a dream transfer. His contract is up at the end of the season. He's top scorer this season and they're in the bottom 3. I wonder if any others will be considering this?

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Interesting situation in the Champ, Lyle Taylor says he won't play for Charlton in fear of getting injured and ruining his chances of a dream transfer. His contract is up at the end of the season. He's top scorer this season and they're in the bottom 3. I wonder if any others will be considering this?

Bit of a shit attitude, wouldn’t be surprised if that put more clubs off than any niggle might. 

Leeds have tweeted theirs, but still haven't apologised to Charlton or Jonathon Leko for Kiko's racism charge. 

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

That's class from Albion.

Yep. I mean Albion aren't famous for much, but they were at the fore when it came to giving black players a chance in the English game, there's a huge statue of Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendan Baston in West Bromwich town centre and there's a tram running around in Brum with Cyrille Regis and West Brom colours on it. It's part of their culture.  

I'm not sure about that account though.  It's only been on Twitter for a few weeks and every tweet is pro brexit/gammon bullshit.  I wonder if it's just a bot or something.  

• Upvote 1

PL clubs have been given the go-ahead for friendlies ahead of the planned resumption, with restrictions.

Venues no more than 90 minutes away. No dressing rooms. Players must drive in their own cars wearing their kit. Refs and assistants haven't been given testing yet, so coaching staff will ref the games :lol:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11999354/premier-league-clubs-can-schedule-friendlies-ahead-of-the-resumption

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

PL clubs have been given the go-ahead for friendlies ahead of the planned resumption, with restrictions.

Venues no more than 90 minutes away. No dressing rooms. Players must drive in their own cars wearing their kit. Refs and assistants haven't been given testing yet, so coaching staff will ref the games :lol:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11999354/premier-league-clubs-can-schedule-friendlies-ahead-of-the-resumption

Just like Sunday morning kid's football. 

• Upvote 1

bloke built a career from this lucky in off the post FK, which Bartez gave up on and should have done better with

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

18 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

That's class from Albion.

Slightly bothered Wolves haven't tweeted their support.

We did :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

bloke built a career from this lucky in off the post FK, which Bartez gave up on and should have done better with

He did go on to win the Champions League three times and the World Cup, the big bald fraud.  

• Upvote 9

On his way to 50 caps for Brazil, considered one of the best full-backs in the world, just finished a year at Real Madrid after a move from Inter.. Yeah, he was nothing before that one went in.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Boothjan said:

We did :)

And since they're going to get stick from the more idiot end of the fanbase for it, I feel I should post.

image.png.9277f2fa458e1cf3fecca6d5127ab29e.png

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Spurs have a confirmed case of covid-19. I'll be astounded if it's not Erik Lamela.

Nah it will be Kane and knowing our luck it will destroy his lungs and he will have to retire.