rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

What was that thing a while back about Bent shopping there during a Villa game?

social media bullshit. I think he was either injured or suspended so he wasn’t in the match day squad and someone took a photo of him shopping during a Villa game so the more insane end of the fan base concluded he must hate us if he wasn’t at Villa Park to watch the game.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Sorry guys. Everyone knows if you don't support a local lower league club then you are not a real football fan.

We all love football but being a supporter is different. Paying for Sky Sports actually means you support every team. 

Watching Liverpool on TV or in a pub doesn't mean you're a Liverpool supporter. It's like saying you support Eastenders. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I really believe at times the worst and best football fans both support Chelsea.  Our cunts are absolute completely ireedemable shitheads and we have a lot of them.  There's a hideously high proportion of Chelsea avatars in the "White lives matter", "Take back are cuntree" twitter feeds for instance.

But then, you see Petr Cech make his debut for Arsenal against Chelsea and he's cheered to the rafters when at the exact same time the Arsenal fans are giving Fabregas hell.  And you can guarantee when anyone, however obscure who was in the youth sides comes back with another team, they're getting cheered.  And then you find the club match donations to Refuge and everything else they did at the start of COVID and you think they're at least trying.

I can't speak highly enough of the Chelsea fans that day in 2016. My son had his Leicester shirt on and he was getting applauded, hugged, high fived etc. by Chelsea fans and it made it even more magical. And when they gave Ranieri a standing ovation, there was a tear or two. We've actually always had a pretty decent reception at Stamford Bridge; it was just the scrotes I went to school with that gave me such prejudice!

• Upvote 1

I  genuinely think it’s a shame Liverpool won the league in the way they have done, their fans and players deserve to have the crowd there but I’m sure it still feels amazing so while we all know it doesn’t count and will always have a * by it well done, very much deserved and enjoy :) 

The whole fan thing is a bit odd, I’ve been to Anfield more than most Liverpool fans I’m sure but I’m not sure that really counts does it - there are glory hunters for any club that’s had success and boy will we be suffocated by them in the coming days, weeks, months and decades esp people of my vintage who as dedicated Liverpool fans as I am Chicago Bulls but better that than a Tory supporter right.

Wait you're a Bulls fan? That changes everything. Pistons here. 

18 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Wait you're a Bulls fan? That changes everything. Pistons here. 

Pfft, thugs the lot of em them Pistons ;) 

Im a 90s NBA glory hunter fan!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SeanR said:

no, because that’s clearly not true.

Most Liverpool fans I know have some connection to Merseyside, or have been fans since the 80s...

Fans since the 80s because they were glory hunting kids. Connection to Merseyside my arse.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

On 25/06/2020 at 22:56, Art Vandelay said:

I don’t know how anyone takes any enjoyment from seeing another team do well. Support the team nearest your front door and fuck everyone else. It’s a time honoured tradition. 

20171129_171133.jpg

Literally next to Anfield.

I'm a blue :P

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Sorry guys. Everyone knows if you don't support a local lower league club then you are not a real football fan.

I thought supporting a local lower league club made you a proper football man, supporting some fancy dan never going to be relegated (I hope) premier league club makes you some chichi elitist that doesn't appreciate a Greggs beef slice and only eats in Michelin rated establishments.

I think there is a distinction being discussed in general here that is getting some people a little up on their hind legs - if you've followed a team on TV for 35y for whatever reason then you've found your level of support that you wish to offer, and that is cool.

What I would suggest though is that somebody who has gone to hundreds of matches in that time, putting in a lot more time and effort, probably will feel somewhat more connected to any success that happens and enjoy it differently.

All my best memories of football are of being in the ground with my son when something big happened - sure we've seen games on TV together but they just don't form memories or attachments for us in the same way, but he still talks about the amazing sausage sandwiches we made and took along to the 4-4 with Spurs on that amazing night under the floodlights.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, amc said:

20171129_171133.jpg

Literally next to Anfield.

I'm a blue :P

LIES! You would have been born and now live in the big blue house on County Road. 

• Upvote 1

I think the times of only being a real supporter of a given club meant you needed to be born within earshot of said club's cockerel died out with the invention of TV. It's the modern age, following your local tribe mattered more when you depended on the distance the hole in your coal mining boots would last.

It's all a bit daft to feel staunchly against that if you ask me.

• Upvote 2

Having slept on it I think the TV fans are the real fans of a club. They could have chosen to support absolutely anyone, but they all chose Liverpool / Manchester United. 

People supporting their local club or clubs passed through family just lack imagination. 

• Upvote 2

@Naysonymous how are you feeling about today?

Regardless of the table I always expect a tough game there as we’ve only won once at Villa Park in 40 years. 

We should win, but if Villa get the first goal I think we’ll struggle a little. 

14 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

What if you support a distant lower league club?

12 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

@Naysonymous how are you feeling about today?

Regardless of the table I always expect a tough game there as we’ve only won once at Villa Park in 40 years. 

We should win, but if Villa get the first goal I think we’ll struggle a little. 

Wolves will win comfortably. They are better individually and collectively, and they need the points.  Villa's total lack of urgency since the restart (and since the League Cup semi finals really) is baffling. Maybe Smith is saying different things behind the scenes but his public persona of calmness is reading like he either doesn't realise or doesn't care that the club are sleepwalking into relegation.   Yes, we've been very unlucky with injuries this season. The win away at Burnley on new years day saw us lose our first choice goalkeeper and our club record signing for the remainder of the season, John McGinn has missed nearly half the season with a broken ankle too.  We just don't have the depth to deal with that kind of damage as our lack of points will attest to.  Even though pretty much every other result in the relegation battle has gone the way we'd want since the restart I still think Villa are doomed.  After Wolves we've got Man Utd and Liverpool.  I don't even think we can rely on Liverpool turning up hungover after their title win as it's not like they can really go out on the piss anywhere is it? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EUkdazs said:

Fans since the 80s because they were glory hunting kids. Connection to Merseyside my arse.

“or”... :coffee:

56 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Having slept on it I think the TV fans are the real fans of a club. They could have chosen to support absolutely anyone, but they all chose Liverpool / Manchester United. 

People supporting their local club or clubs passed through family just lack imagination. 

Why can't both be real fans. I mean football is about connection, how you connect with a team. So what if you gained that connection when you were young and felt the thrill of a team winning via the TV. Winning is also a big part of football, one of the most important parts. Doesn't take anything away from anyone who found their love through family and locality. 

Anyone who supported Liverpool from their heyday has endured a long, long fallow period and probably introduced youngsters during that fallow period, who've never known league winning success yet they stuck by the club. Are we supposed to think them less of a fan because they don't have an L postcode. 

I get the family connection, although my dad was a red and I'm a blue so go figure, and of course it's important but so is the choice, the choice to make that team the one you are going to follow through thick and thin. It's the choice that matters not how you arrive at it. If you support a club you support a club.

If you are passionate about a team then fuck anyone criticising you because it's not around the corner.

• Upvote 2

I'm tired of talking about this now.  You're right everyone is the same, people miles away who tune in to match of the day are just as much fans as people who go home and away and have the club passed down through family.

• Upvote 1

Lol.

How do people who go to matches when they can afford to etc fit in to your equation. Two thirds fans or something.

Whatever.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Naysonymous said:

Some people just want to support a successful team who win every week.  It's fine.  

Absolutely it's fine, it's just not the same, that's the point a lot of us are trying to make.

I think it's just uncomfortable to a lot of people because they think it is, that's understandable.

21 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

people miles away who tune in to match of the day are just as much fans as people who go home and away

They've probably got more disposable income to spend on scarves and sticker albums though. Have you completed your 1993/94 Swindon Town team? No, of course you haven't. But they have.

• Upvote 1

With all the debate about who is more of a supporter, local and non local fans...

Here is a thought,  I haven't heard any reports of Liverpool 'fans' in Mumbai or Surry aiming fireworks at historic buildings.... Does that make them more or less of a fan?

I live in Liverpool. The biggest difference I see on here compared to football fans in Liverpool is in Liverpool itself its the Everton fans who are really pissed not ManU like here. My boss is a die hard blue and told me last season "I don't care if they win the European Cup just not the fucking league, we will never hear the end of it". I can't imagine he is happy right now.

Most the Liverpool fans I know quite like having a ton of glory hunting southern fans as it brings them in more money.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I'm tired of talking about this now.  You're right everyone is the same, people miles away who tune in to match of the day are just as much fans as people who go home and away and have the club passed down through family.

The problem is, I’d say 99% of all fans of bigger (i.e. not lower league) clubs don’t go to the game every week. There isn’t enough room in the stadium. Of course people who go home and away are more fanatical, almost obsessive (it’s a huge commitment of time in your life). And that’s great.

But at the end of the day you can’t begrudge people getting enjoyment out of a sport, in whichever way they choose. Gatekeeping people’s passion comes across as quite bitter. Would you begrudge a young Wolves fan from elsewhere or wherever who has been captivated by their current team and is filled with joy with every win of theirs he watches on Sky? If you would I think that’s really sad, and totally misses the whole point of the game.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I can't speak highly enough of the Chelsea fans that day in 2016. My son had his Leicester shirt on and he was getting applauded, hugged, high fived etc. by Chelsea fans and it made it even more magical. And when they gave Ranieri a standing ovation, there was a tear or two. We've actually always had a pretty decent reception at Stamford Bridge; it was just the scrotes I went to school with that gave me such prejudice!

Ranieri of course would get that any day at the Bridge :)

The draw for the semi-finals will take place during half-time of Sunday's Newcastle v Manchester City quarter-final, which is being shown live on BBC One.

For actual fucks sake.