rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Holy shit Nyland is lucky that his shitness doesn't get punished more regularly.  That's twice since the league came back. 

• Upvote 2

@dizogg great post, I agree. I’m replying quick Cus I’m watching Wolves at the moment (on TV lol)

The points I’m making are quite subtle I’m honestly not trying to be elitist, there are different types of fans even within a stadium. 

Football is the best sport in the world and brings joy and togetherness to many. I love it and I love my club deeply, I’ve always feel it must be tough when you don’t have an obvious club to choose to follow, most people tend to choose an obvious club which is a shame, and there are differences that come with that. 

ive said before on the south bank I stand next to two wolves fans from Manchester who follow them everywhere because the grandad was a 50s glory hunter. 

Anyway, have a great weekend all, I hope everyone’s team wins. 

6 minutes ago, dizogg said:

The problem is, I’d say 99% of all fans of bigger (i.e. not lower league) clubs don’t go to the game every week. There isn’t enough room in the stadium. Of course people who go home and away are more fanatical, almost obsessive (it’s a huge commitment of time in your life). And that’s great.

But at the end of the day you can’t begrudge people getting enjoyment out of a sport, in whichever way they choose. Gatekeeping people’s passion comes across as quite bitter. Would you begrudge a young Wolves fan from elsewhere or wherever who has been captivated by their current team and is filled with joy with every win of theirs he watches on Sky? If you would I think that’s really sad, and totally misses the whole point of the game.

There isn't enough room in the stadium at Anfield for the 10,000 Liverpool fans who live in Bristol but there's enough room for them at Rovers and City.

I will never understand people who 'support' a team on TV if they've got a local team. The usual excuse is, "they're shit". They'll always be shit if people don't go along, contribute financially and help create a community at their local club. I have no issue with having a favourite team or teams to watch on TV. I enjoyed Man Utd in Europe under Ferguson. I was really happy when they beat Bayern in that famous final. I enjoyed Liverpool in Europe last year. I liked West Ham under Redknapp and cheered on Wimbledon in 1988. I was a big fan of Fiorentina when Channel 4 had live Italian football. I loved Clough's Forest team with Pearce, Clough, Walker, Parker et al.

I'll only ever support Plymouth Argyle though. And Barnsley sometimes.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

There isn't enough room in the stadium at Anfield for the 10,000 Liverpool fans who live in Bristol but there's enough room for them at Rovers and City.

I will never understand people who 'support' a team on TV if they've got a local team. The usual excuse is, "they're shit". They'll always be shit if people don't go along, contribute financially and help create a community at their local club. I have no issue with having a favourite team or teams to watch on TV. I enjoyed Man Utd in Europe under Ferguson. I was really happy when they beat Bayern in that famous final. I enjoyed Liverpool in Europe last year. I liked West Ham under Redknapp and cheered on Wimbledon in 1988. I was a big fan of Fiorentina when Channel 4 had live Italian football. I loved Clough's Forest team with Pearce, Clough, Walker, Parker et al.

I'll only ever support Plymouth Argyle though. And Barnsley sometimes.

This is true.  When I worked in North Wales I used to drive past the racecourse ground every week.  Everyone there supported north west teams.

I pointed out Wrexham would be a big team if they followed them.

I wrote this for the Liverpool thread but I guess outlining my connection to the club is relevant here too:

Oh god I don’t think I can cry any more. That animation just got me reminiscing about my grandad. He took me on the Anfield stadium tour when I was about 7 years old and gave me a history lesson on why Liverpool are the greatest football club in the world, but for the next 30 years he was constantly disappointed in our failure to dominate England as he always believed we should. He passed away just two years shy of witnessing what Klopp and the boys have achieved here and my word he would have loved it. 

YNWA sets me off every time too. One of my oldest friends took his own life in the summer of 2005, two months after a certain football march in a certain Turkish city. He was a true red, and as two guys with a scouse half of the family  who found themselves displaced from Liverpool in Lancashire we were called glory supporters and we did not care. We played football at the local par looking fresh in our ecru away kits, he Steve McManaman and I was Patrik Berger. 

We had both moved apart by 2005. He was still in Lancashire, I was in Liverpool because I was not about to go to any other city on Earth for university. I couldn’t reach him to get to the Champions League parade and it was the only disappointment during one of the happiest 24 hours of my life. 

His funeral was a sea of red, his parents insisted on no black. Adults wore red ties and shirts, all of us under 20 wore Liverpool shirts with his name on the back.  The wake was the only one I’ve been to that really felt like the celebration of the person’s life we all want them to be. YNWA played as his coffin was lowered and we all sang it and we all bawled our eyes out. 

I am so sad that neither of them are here for this, but thinking about how much they’d have loved it makes all of these moments more special. I hadn’t cried about football since I watched Stevie lift the trophy in Istanbul, this team and this manager have broken me multiple times this season alone. 

I love this team, this manager, but most of all this wonderful football club. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I will never understand people who 'support' a team on TV if they've got a local team. The usual excuse is, "they're shit". They'll always be shit if people don't go along, contribute financially and help create a community at their local club.

That's the constant cause of argument here isn't it?  There are people who are just going to want to support a top team who regularly win because they want to go to school/college/work on a Monday and talk about how great their team is.  The problem is how this affects the bigger picture, especially these days when it's easier than ever to quantify and monetise these fans who aren't attached to the club geographically. An ever increasing number of people (globally) are following an ever decreasing number of clubs.  You go to /r/soccer which has something like 2 million subs, overwhelmingly twenty-somethings and majority American.  Users can display the club they support next to their name and it feels like 80% of the posters on there either support the clubs who make the quarter finals of the Champions League every season.

This trend is everywhere, you see the number of views a Liverpool video gets on YouTube compared to, say, West Ham or how many Twitter followers Manchester United have and it's all just huge numbers in favour of the clubs at the top.  The thing is like someone said earlier in the thread that Liverpool like the post tourists from Hampshire and Surrey coming up and spending money in the club shop because it helps pay the bills, all these big data demographics lead to more money being diverted to the top and broadcast media catering to those clubs too.  Of course this just means that the next generation of fans coming through just decide to support what's being offered up on the telly and it continues to snowball.  It's a lost cause if and of course if you don't support a club who are a global brand then it's easy to be irked by the antics of those who do.  

• Upvote 2

Villa have a single player (who isn't even very good) who has more Twitter followers than the club itself. 

As shit as being a Villa fan can be, I can't imagine supporting a side I have no local connection to. It's so completely alien.

5 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

That's the constant cause of argument here isn't it?  There are people who are just going to want to support a top team who regularly win because they want to go to school/college/work on a Monday and talk about how great their team is.  The problem is how this affects the bigger picture, especially these days when it's easier than ever to quantify and monetise these fans who aren't attached to the club geographically. An ever increasing number of people (globally) are following an ever decreasing number of clubs.  You go to /r/soccer which has something like 2 million subs, overwhelmingly twenty-somethings and majority American.  Users can display the club they support next to their name and it feels like 80% of the posters on there either support the clubs who make the quarter finals of the Champions League every season.

This trend is everywhere, you see the number of views a Liverpool video gets on YouTube compared to, say, West Ham or how many Twitter followers Manchester United have and it's all just huge numbers in favour of the clubs at the top.  The thing is like someone said earlier in the thread that Liverpool like the post tourists from Hampshire and Surrey coming up and spending money in the club shop because it helps pay the bills, all these big data demographics lead to more money being diverted to the top and broadcast media catering to those clubs too.  Of course this just means that the next generation of fans coming through just decide to support what's being offered up on the telly and it continues to snowball.  It's a lost cause if and of course if you don't support a club who are a global brand then it's easy to be irked by the antics of those who do.  

Spot on. Support your local club, not only can you go and see them live, you're also helping them to exist. And it's fine if you change, just because you liked Liverpool's shirt when you were four years old doesn't mean you're locked in.

• Upvote 2

Borussia Monchengladbach thankfully, to wash this foulness from my mouth. Not been very many good games for the neutral since the lockdown games started. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Borussia Monchengladbach thankfully, to wash this foulness from my mouth. Not been very many good games for the neutral since the lockdown games started. 

I do love how you don’t like the West Midlands clubs - honestly, that’s football to me :) 

I’ve just realised that I’ve had a season ticket in all four divisions.

Which, I believe, makes me considerably better than yow.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Spot on. Support your local club, not only can you go and see them live, you're also helping them to exist. And it's fine if you change, just because you liked Liverpool's shirt when you were four years old doesn't mean you're locked in.

I tried this. When my first child was born I decided to try to 'do the right thing' and follow a local team so that I could take him to games regularly, and not have him following a team from hundreds of miles away that he'll never get to go and watch play live. It didn't work. I just couldn't make myself care. I went to a bunch of games and just sat there bored wondering what the hell I was doing.

My dad's from Neasden and is an Arsenal fan, and was a regular at Highbury throughout my childhood. My dad's an alcoholic, and by the time I was getting into football he'd already left. I couldn't support Arsenal - I didn't want to be anything like him. My mum's side of the family are all Arsenal, too. 

I was born and raised in West London, and being football mad, I got taken to loads of grounds in search of 'my team'. I was taken to watch games at QPR, Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford, Arsenal, Tottenham... loads of places. One of my mum's friends even took me to see Norwich (he was a season ticket holder there). I loved the game, I just didn't understand why I had to choose one team to follow.

One of the games I went to was against Liverpool and I don't know why but I decided that was it; search over. I don't even remember what it was about them - although I remember liking the green kit! :lol:

I took my son (now 8 years old) to Anfield for the Spurs game this season. I can't even explain what his happy little face meant to me as we walked around outside the stadium. I do sometimes wish I was stronger and somehow soldiered on so he could be at the game every week somewhere local. But fuck it. We've had so many amazing times together the last couple of seasons. He was worried before his first game that he wouldn't be welcomed because he's from London. The guy sat next to us asked him where he was from, told him not to worry, and reached across with his scarf for my boy to hold up with him and told him to sing loud and proud to support our team. He was so happy.

I can't afford to take him often so I'm aiming for a few games a year. But so far it's been amazing - I've taken to booking a cheap hotel and taking him up for a couple of days, when there's enough time to do so. And I'll get him to some aways from time to time, too. Obviously it's not the same as it is for someone that grew up local. But that doesn't diminish what we feel and experience. 

• Upvote 7

13 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I’ve just realised that I’ve had a season ticket in all four divisions.

Which, I believe, makes me considerably better than yow.

Dunno man. With an accent like that you should be supporting West Brom. 

• Upvote 1

Elland Road with all the cardboard cutouts looks great, just breaks up the empty stands and makes it more visually interesting.

20 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Dunno man. With an accent like that you should be supporting West Brom. 

14 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Elland Road with all the cardboard cutouts looks great, just breaks up the empty stands and makes it more visually interesting.

Makes me feel like I'm watching Soccer AM.

I moved to the city of the team I support and fathered a child there, who was in turn born there. I win, fuck you all, good night.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

It's also entirely possible to do both if you want. If you live in a small area where the local team are very low down the pecking order, there's nothing stopping you supporting them at live matches whilst also keeping your love/support for a bigger team you grew up supporting. No matter how much some of you in here want to tell us we aren't proper supporters, none of you will stop me loving Liverpool FC. I started supporting them before I even knew they were a top team in the 80s and never stopped, despite the fact United were winning everything and all my friends supported them. I've been to plenty of games at Anfield, semi finals and finals but just because my current cirmustances means I have to watch it on TV more doesn't mean my support is any less valid. I'm in a WhatsApp group of Liverpool supporters from all over the UK and world, none of the scouse lads in there that go week in week out begrudge our support one bit, they're all happy for us to support and enjoy the reds.  None of you will take away the feelings I've expereinced over things such as Istanbul, last years Barca come back, Thusday night etc or the pain of the "slip" and other so close but not close enough moments just because of your view of what a "real supporter" is.

• Upvote 3

Robben has come out of retirement, signed for FC Gronigen, who were his first professional club. Sounds like he is basically doing it out of a wish to help the club financially, given the Eredivisie season was cancelled completely.

• Upvote 2

I think that some people are taking things slightly too personally. No one (OK, maybe there’s one) is suggesting that you can’t support whoever you like or that your feelings towards said team are fake. Non of this changes the central idea that it can mean more to someone who is more involved in the local culture of the club and  the surrounding area. I’m sorry if this upsets some of you but that’s just the way it is. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

@Naysonymous sorry man, I thought Villa played well. Tidy on the ball, just no cutting edge. 

Hmm, I disagree. There was absolutely no impetus from them whatsoever. It didn't look like they were fighting for their lives, and there was a feeling of resignation about them. 

Pleased with how solid we looked but we weren't ever flustered or under pressure. I'd have been furious if I was a Villa fan. I guess the biggest positives for them is that we've just played their 2 closest relegation rivals and they also looked pretty flat.

3 games, 3 wins, 3 clean sheets since the restart and I honestly dont think we've got out of 2nd gear in any of the games. We're about to face better teams which will test us far more, but in delighted with our current form.

• Upvote 2

Norwich would be doing much better if they ran to get the ball if it is over five yards away from them.