rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

31 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Imagine how different the season might have been if you’d held on in the game at Villa Park.

Aye, we were up to 9th with four minutes to go. If we could have even held on for the draw it could have been massive.

8 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

That is nuts. If we, Cardiff, snuck up in the play-offs with what would be a weaker team than two years ago then we'd struggle to compete anyway without ridiculous levels of recruitment on some quality players.

Given some teams will find a lot of the Premier League windfall will be swallowed up by promotion bonuses, increased wages and transfer fees on top of whatever debt they have got themselves in to attempt to go up then clubs may end up cutting costs on promotion rather than recruiting?

8 Million isn't loads in the crazy world of football, but its probably half a decent player.

I am a Leeds fan and so hope very much that we will be affected by this decision, but funnily enough I don’t have an issue with it on first glance.

My take is that the journalist is being a little mischievous in how he has presented the story.  The reality is due to the agreement reached with broadcasters there will be a smaller pot of money from TV revenue to divvy up over the next couple of seasons, and so the newly promoted teams will be receiving their fair allocation of that smaller pot.  They have calculated this to be 8 million quid less a season than what they might have expected to receive pre the Covid lockdown.  

This assumption only holds water if all the other teams in the league receive similar reductions in their prize pots depending upon finishing position over the next couple of seasons.  I literally don’t think they would be able to get away with just penalising the newly promoted and relegated teams in the way the article tries to frame the story.

That getting ruled off for handball when it was hammered at his arm by United from an inch away after he was fouled :lol: 

And the director cutting away from the refs decision to show Mourinho's reaction. If anything it should have been a freekick to Spurs if the goal was disallowed.

I gues Moura should've just kept his hands to his sides and let his face break his fall.

• Upvote 1

Despite all the replays, I'm not even sure it hit his arm. Looked more around the shoulder to me. 

"Right lads - foul the bastard then kick the ball at his arm. Not only will it stop them scoring, but we'll get possession back." 

wait, remind me who the league champions are in this game?

All to make Pep believe he’ll be back to winning the league without having to touch his defence at all. 

4 minutes ago, SeanR said:

wait, remind me who the league champions are in this game?

The ones who are still 20 points clear of the best team in world football. :)

Fair play to City, they are still a fantastic team and I'm sure the guard of honour will have riled them up a bit more.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JamesTW said:

When Is next season? When you google its still 8th August, thats a week later, that cant be right??

Sometime in September, no official start date booked yet.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

image.png.4f3b9c126724d611a3d81fe3405ce899.png

There is much to giggle about here.

I guess after we all giggled at the West Ham result.....

What I don’t get is why Spurs aren’t playing Toby and Vertingen, maybe they lack a bit of pace but they would have lapped up a fairly static attack that Sheffield Utd had, one suspects it’s some Jose antics :( 

This thread about Wigan and how/why they've had to go into administration seemingly from out of nowhere is absolutely scandalous.

Just absolutely disgraceful. :(

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Thanks @Boothjan that was a good read and equally sad to see the potential demise of Wigan.

Surely it can be easily checked if someone made a massive bet in the Philippines on Wigan going down? Is he saying the Hong Kong consortium bought them intending to deliberately relegate them and to profit from betting against their own team? 

So if thats true about the bet then Wigan staying up anyway would be a disaster for someone.

Even if no bet, then its clearly very, very, very dodgy. Too many betting firms with close ties to clubs now.

More than anything, it shows the utter incompetence of the EFL. Incompetent or corrupt? Maybe both. 

I really feel for Wigan fans. Things were looking really good for them.