rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

12 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Agree - correct decision, the ref made the call after watching it himself on the monitor. 

It's why I'm not vehemently opposed to VAR, merely how it's used and - too often - what it's used for. And of course the fucking idiots arsing up so many calls.

12 hours ago, bradigor said:

Aye, if they made the decision to just let the ref look at the monitor more, VAR would look much, much better. 

Absolutely, as soon as the ref walked to the monitor I said "This is going to take him 2 seconds" and yes he walked off the second he saw the first angle in real time without even watching the rest.

So why the fuck normal VAR takes minutes I don't know.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Absolutely, as soon as the ref walked to the monitor I said "This is going to take him 2 seconds" and yes he walked off the second he saw the first angle in real time without even watching the rest.

So why the fuck normal VAR takes minutes I don't know.

Because it is a decision by committee. VAR room sh ould be there for offsides* and alerting the ref to incidents he needs to look at. Just give the power to the referee on the pitch as much as possible. Hell if you really didn't want to always stop the game for him to run over, make use of the fourth official for checking the monitor, at least he is there and saw it live. He can then get over the on-pitch ref in much needed cases. 

*Adjust those offside rules.. not clear within 30 seconds, then the original on-field decision stands. 

Scenario 1:

Cross into the box and Joe Gomez knocks it away with his hand
Ref misses or feels it is accidental
Liverpool clear and play continues
VAR are already checking and see that yes the ball hits Gomez's hand. Advise 4th official to check monitor
He checks and clearly sees Gomez move hand to ball to stop it reaching opposition attacker
Alerts ref - PENALTY - Games stopped

Scenario 2:

Luiz flies into a tackle but ref thinks he got the ball and game continues
VAR check incident and Luiz catches player above the ankles with studs showing, but does clip the ball
Advise 4th official to check, but he is unsure himself. So gets referee's attention who stops play. 
Ref heads to monitor and decides it was a dangerous challenge and gives Luiz a red card.

In both cases the VAR room aren't making the decision, they are just checking the incident did or didn't happen and pass that information to the on pitch officials. Using the 4th official to check first and allow the match to carry on with little disruption until such a time it needs to be stopped (or stops naturally).

It all comes down to the ref that way, which everyone will accept. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, bradigor said:

*Adjust those offside rules.. not clear within 30 seconds, then the original on-field decision stands. 

Until we get a case where VAR rush to make a decision within the time limit and totally get it wrong despite everyone at home being able to see how obvious it is.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

the argument for the 5 subs rule continuation is that it will be a compressed season, with a late start and small pre-season so its to help protect player fatigue.

Then it’s established and stays in forever.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

Then it’s established and stays in forever.  

until we have defensive and offensive line-ups and can substitute them, willy-nilly. WITH TIMEOUTS!

2 minutes ago, SeanR said:

until we have defensive and offensive line-ups and can substitute them, willy-nilly. WITH TIMEOUTS!

I mean we’ve got time outs now. The drinks break serves as such.  

20 minutes ago, SeanR said:

SPONSORED BY HOBNOBS AND BITCOIN!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, glb said:

SPONSORED BY HOBNOBS AND BITCOIN!

Hobbits and Nobcoins!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

I mean we’ve got time outs now. The drinks break serves as such.  

mm.

And if that carries on to next season then it'll be an ad break before you know it.

Dier banned for four matches, that is probably an advantage to Spurs.

Why is there a championship game at 3pm on a Wednesday? Seems like a crap time for anyone who might actually want to watch it?

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

Why is there a championship game at 3pm on a Wednesday? Seems like a crap time for anyone who might actually want to watch it?

Dont think it was on TV. I checked here: https://www.live-footballontv.com/ and couldn't see it.

I did enjoy the Sky commentator saying Wolves will need a bigger squad if they manage to get into Europe this year just now. ^_^

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gospvg said:

Dier banned for four matches, that is probably an advantage to Spurs.

Not really he is our beat centre back these days now he is playing in his best position.

Jay Rodriguez becomes the first Burnley player to score for the Clarets in every calendar month.

Willian has done it for Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

This Wolves game is even worse than the last one I watched.

Stonking header to win the game though!

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Sheffield United. :omg:

This is another one of those “how far Man U have fallen” things when they’re eagerly anticipating the result of Sheff Utd vs Wolves.

• Upvote 1

Sean Dyche is a miracle worker.  14 fit first team players, safe from relegation and they could quite happily head for the beach early.  But no.

Also: Karen Carney is a fucking terrible co-commentator.

2 hours ago, dizogg said:

This is another one of those “how far Man U have fallen” things when they’re eagerly anticipating the result of Sheff Utd vs Wolves.

Dizogg will be shocked when he finds out those two teams are no longer playing in League 1.

• Empathy 1

Also we were both shite, so don't worry about it.

Hanging on to Europa League places now.  We're looking awful, could see us missing out with the fixtures we have left.

45 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Also we were both shite, so don't worry about it.

Hanging on to Europa League places now.  We're looking awful, could see us missing out with the fixtures we have left.

We've not been that bad.  We've not played well by any stretch of the imagination, last night in particular was a really drab affair in awful conditions which had 0-0 written all over it.  But we've played 2 well organised teams and although we look below par, we've been far from awful.  We've not had the breaks - Traore scores his 1 on 1 v Arsenal when we were well on top and the game is totally different.  Neves' free kick is 2 inches lower and the game is totally different.

We absolutely need to improve and find a way to control games again but I'm not massively worried just yet!

2 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

We've not been that bad.  We've not played well by any stretch of the imagination, last night in particular was a really drab affair in awful conditions which had 0-0 written all over it.  But we've played 2 well organised teams and although we look below par, we've been far from awful.  We've not had the breaks - Traore scores his 1 on 1 v Arsenal when we were well on top and the game is totally different.  Neves' free kick is 2 inches lower and the game is totally different.

We absolutely need to improve and find a way to control games again but I'm not massively worried just yet!

We've had about six shots on target in five games.

I just think Everton, Palace, Burnley, and Chelsea look better than us at the moment, so we really need to step it up to stay top seven.

16 hours ago, Plissken said:

Jay Rodriguez becomes the first Burnley player to score for the Clarets in every calendar month.

Willian has done it for Chelsea.

Kane for Spurs I believe too.

So, can Villa beat Man Utd at home for the first time since the “you can’t win anything with kids” game?  I mean the answer is obviously not, but some of those kids are pushing 50 now and it would be nice to not roll over and have our bellies tickled again. 

• Upvote 1

Here's a baffling transfer. Thomas Robert (Laurent's son) had interest from Montpellier, Newcastle, Celtic, bundesliga clubs. 

He's signed for Airdrie in Scottish League One. Supposed to be for first team football but that division won't even kick off until October. Wtf. Something fishy here. 

12 minutes though, after having a goal disallowed