Football Thread 2019/2020

gospvg

I can't fault Dyche for always getting the job done. I'm grimly waiting being one-nilled by Burnley on the last day of the season. Still, I guess it's less disheartening that Man U, Liverpool and City lining up to absolutely leather us over the past few weeks.

44 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I think they would have done anyway.  I think there will be a drop-off for Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd are flawed teams despite the hype when one or the other are in top form, Arsenal and Spurs are years away from challenging again, Leicester are great but aren't serious contenders, and on top of this now that City know they can break FFP rules with complete impunity they will spend a quarter of a billion pounds strengthening.

edit - Also, they're used to having no fans lol etc.

The two titles Klopp won with Dortmund are the only ones Bayern haven’t won in the last 10 years, I expect something similar to happen here. 

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

I'd love to know how he thought he was fouled there. Baffling decision. 

I’ve never seen Liverpool concede without VVD convinced of a foul or offside, he’s almost as consistent as Manuel Neuer In this belief.

10 hours ago, Plissken said:

Not only did we take an undeserved point against Wolves, we also appear to have broken Liverpool.

I love my club.

We are not broken just already on holiday, 2 more games to go.

Do you think Dyche will stay or go?

58 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Do you think Dyche will stay or go?

Where would he go, to be fair? Most of the richer clubs in the Prem are either being managed pretty well, or (*cough* Spurs *cough*) appointed their manager too recently to ditch. I can only really think of West Ham as candidates, and I suspect Dyche is smart enough to run a mile from that trap.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Where would he go, to be fair? Most of the richer clubs in the Prem are either being managed pretty well, or (*cough* Spurs *cough*) appointed their manager too recently to ditch. I can only really think of West Ham as candidates, and I suspect Dyche is smart enough to run a mile from that trap.

The BBC article mentions the chairman looking to sell the club, if they do and the new owners are not convinced by Dyche he may be pushed out the door. Everton could be a decent option, he is a safe pair of hands if a very defensive manager.

Dyche, if he does have to leave Burnley, would be better suited to a Championship club. In terms of wages, he'd likely earn more if he dropped down a level to manage someone like Cardiff City or Bristol City as I very much doubt that Burnley are paying him multi millions.  He's an ex-Bristol City player and they need a manager after sacking Lee Johnson - he did only play a few games for them though.

Why would Dyche leave Burnley anyway and why would they want him to leave?  He's overachieved massively since he got there at a club that has, since the 70s been a 2nd and 3rd tier club.  The man is basically an absolute hero at Burnley.

A section of Burnley fans would no doubt want to see them playing total football but I would probably be correct in thinking that they actually enjoy watching Burnley succeed and they're hardly a dire, boring side to watch either.  

1920px-Burnley_FC_League_Performance_svg.thumb.png.70691e8e1356f13993f3f7de8176d17e.png

I think that if getting the job done and reliably keeping them in the mid table of the premiership without having to manage a huge wage bill is the end game, then I think the club will always want to keep hold of him because he offers a degree of stability in a very volatile league unless you have very deep pockets.

I imagine some fans will want to see some sort of bold statement about how they're going to push for the next step up by maybe being part of the top six conversation but I understand that it's working well and changing what they're doing comes with a significant amount of risk when they don't have to.

Absolute nonsense to suggest that there's any sort of bias, but fuck we've been lucky tonight.  Offside by a toe - I hate those decisions whichever way they go.  I think it was a penalty as well, as he played the ball in the action of going through the back of Zaha.

12 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I see Man U get away with a penalty tonight.  Evening out from the one we conceded last night nicely.

1 minute ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

What a load of shit.

Another mental offside, guess in which teams favour. 

Firstly, where were you when Romeu didn't get sent off for that tackle on Greenwood on Monday? Secondly everyone knows these millimeter offside calls are rubbish but I'm pretty sure we've had some of these go against us this season as have most teams at one point.

:coffee:

Just now, feltmonkey said:

Absolute nonsense to suggest that there's any sort of bias, but fuck we've been lucky tonight.  Offside by a toe - I hate those decisions whichever way they go.  I think it was a penalty as well, as he played the ball in the action of going through the back of Zaha.

There's absolutely bias, it's human nature, it won't be conscious but it's there.  VAR should be helping to smooth it out.

3 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I guess it's easier to swallow when it's not costing you every three games.

They need to continue with it being shit for consistency, annoying and terrible as it is they can't change mid-season. 

Palace were given a goal at West Ham where Ayew was onside by a ball hair, I can't therefore be pissed about this disallowment.

Doesn't mean I like/support VAR, just that I am depressingly accepting of it's shiteness this year.

Just now, skadupuk said:

They need to continue with it being shit for consistency, annoying and terrible as it is they can't change mid-season. 

Palace were given a goal at West Ham where Ayew was onside by a ball hair, I can't therefore be pissed about this disallowment.

Doesn't mean I like/support VAR, just that I am depressingly accepting of it's shiteness this year.

The whole system of officiating this season is a pile of shite, it's just not an evenly spread pile of shite.

The problem with VAR is that it’s over-turning ridiculously marginal calls when it’s remit is to overturn clear and obvious errors. If it takes more than 10 seconds to decide that an original decision is incorrect then it’s not a clear and obvious error.