Football Thread 2019/2020

gospvg

23 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Is this actually the case though?  Is it possible to determine exactly when the ball leaves the player's foot?

It's not of course but that's the rule.  They stop it "when it leaves the foot" but they're on average 1/120th of a second out because 60fps.

A football can be travelling at 80mph. That's 35 metres per second or to put it another way, the "exact moment the ball left the foot" is 30cm out on average.

And they're ruling them off for a toenail.

Welcome back! A good friend is a Leeds fan and he’s over the moon as you might expect.

Looking forward to Bielsa in the top flight, think Leeds will be great fun to watch next season.

12 hours ago, Plissken said:

4. He'll play attractive football if he can.  He's done it numerous times at Turf Moor.  He's not a Pulis.  Style comparisons with Allardyce are apt, because I remember that Bolton team with Jay Jay Okocha and Ivan Campo and they were great to watch.

This is a great post overall, but I'm not sure about this part, to be honest.  I have a great deal of respect for Burnley and Sean Dyche, who has done a phenomenal job and is under-rated for his tactical nouse.  However, the stats do paint a particular picture.  On Passes completed, since their first season in the Premier League, Burnley have been in the bottom three for passes completed every season.  They're rock bottom this season.  They've also been top of the charts for long balls every season except the current one, where they're number two behind Sheffield United. 

Isn't that just your style - defensive and long-ball?  There's nothing wrong with this if so, of course.  Or are the stats telling a false story?

Edit - Oh, and congratulations to Leeds!  Bielsa is going to be a great character to have in the Premier League.

On 17/07/2020 at 15:11, Dudley said:

It's not of course but that's the rule.  They stop it "when it leaves the foot" but they're on average 1/120th of a second out because 60fps.

A football can be travelling at 80mph. That's 35 metres per second or to put it another way, the "exact moment the ball left the foot" is 30cm out on average.

And they're ruling them off for a toenail.

I can't wait until they get powerful electron microscopes surrounding the pitch, so they can tell if one atom of a players boot has strayed offside. It's really important to get this accurate, millions riding on it. 

There's already a sport for overly fussy bureaucrats. It's called rugby union, can't people that love VAR just go and watch it.

15 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Got to be a candidate for best commentary of the season by Efan Ekoku.:lol::lol::lol:

He's also called Chris Wood a "young British striker" and managed to get both VAR calls wrong.  (If Buendia was a red, then Drmic's certainly was.)

I’ll enjoy City only winning the League Cup this season. Real have just won the league to the second leg won’t be a walkover despite their league. Well done Arsenal who have to be favourites to win it now.

I dunno about favourites. If anything, both teams in the other semi will probably fancy their chances. I'd make Chelsea favourites just about. I don't think United will put out a strong team tomorrow. 

I'm delighted that City won't be winning it, of course.