Football Thread 2019/2020

gospvg

19 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

He was talking to the guy behind him, you can see his hand in shot in the clip here.  If the video doesn't cut off after six seconds then it's incredibly obvious.  

Nah, he was talking to his invisible assistant manager.

15 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Nigel Pearson sacked by Watford.

stupid.

not safe, mathematically, but they only have two games and 3 points could do it

[edit]

City and Arsenal. Oh.

Edited by SeanR

Absolutely ludicrous decision.  He took over a team in the relegation zone, they are not currently in the relegation zone and there is only 2 games to play.  Watford deserve to go down for such stupidity.

26 minutes ago, SeanR said:

stupid.

not safe, mathematically, but they only have two games and 3 points could do it

[edit]

City and Arsenal. Oh.

They don't technically need to do anything - does anybody really believe Villa or Bournemouth will pick up another win (and I see Bournemouth are currently losing)? If he is sacked - BBC are only reporting they are getting ready to sack him - what they are really saying is that they don't think he's the man to bring them back up next season if they did go down.

Has anyone any idea how to have a good run, parlay that into "interest from Arsenal" in order to panic my employer into giving me a big new contract, and almost immediately turning the season into a dumpster fire?  Asking for a friend.

I think that's our Champions' League hopes well and truly over. If you'd told me at the start of the season that we'd get into Europe I'd have snapped your hand off. Would rather we'd never had the chance of a Champions' League place as a possibility. Although why Rodgers went for a back 3 featuring some of the slowest centre-backs in the league is beyond me. 

13 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I'm surprised VAR didn't give a free kick for that, it was outside of the area but Martial clearly got there first and the Chelsea player kicked the back of his leg. 

Don’t think VAR gets involved with free kicks, just pens, goals and cards.

40 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I'm surprised VAR didn't give a free kick for that, it was outside of the area but Martial clearly got there first and the Chelsea player kicked the back of his leg. 

As Waggo says, they’re not allowed to rule on a standard foul outside the area.

Not really sure what to make of the Pearson sacking. On one hand his tactics since the restart have been horrible, poor team selection and substitutions and really our only good sustained period of form this season was 3 weeks from mid-Dec to early Jan. 

Having said that it achieves nothing doing it now (we will lose 6-0 to Man City either way) and even if we had gone down he would have been a good bet to bring us back up. There probably is some substance to the behind the scenes bust-up rumours, it would explain the snippy statement they put out (no 'thanks', 'future endeavours' etc).