Football Thread 2019/2020

gospvg

17 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Yep - true.  Lots of Wolves fans I know wanted Arsenal to win so it condemned Villa.  Erm.... why on earth would you want to see another team suffer to the detriment of your own club?!

Yeah it was a great game in that any result could be seen as positive. 

Now I wouldn’t want Villa to go down through spite or hatred, I like Villa as other clubs go, but they are the biggest threat to us longer term in the area, so I can understand it from that point of view. 

HRH is objectively funny too. 

27 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Watford look completely beaten - I don't think they'll get anything against Arsenal.  

Unfortunately I agree. There is no creativity, no confidence. I am resigned to life in the Championship now, it's the first time in my lifetime we will have been relegated with a relatively talented squad, the two previous times the players that got us relegated were the same ones that got us promoted so there wasn't too much upheaval. It will be a proper rip up and start again job this time - happy to be proved otherwise but I can't imagine some of our more ambitious players (Doucoure, Sarr etc) will want to play in the Championship.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

You are now Liverpool of the 2000s 

You have what looks like all the pieces, but it never comes together. Getting some good results, a run of form, but losing dumb games and getting key injuries. Next year will be your year, jut you watch. 

Been there chap, it is the hope that gets you. 

Nah, I think we mostly know that next year will not be our year. It's the year after that will be ours :eyebrows:

17 minutes ago, Liamness said:

@Boothjan Football fans being spiteful? Whatever next.

:lol:

It is daft though - I can understand the spitefulness to some degree (as in I appreciate that on Sunday, some of our lot will be cheering on Watford and West Ham so they can see Villa go down) but why on earth would anyone want something to happen which would negatively affect their own side?  That's just silly.

In one of those curious mathematics things that never happens.

If Man Utd beat West Ham 5-3 and then Leicester beat Man Utd by a single goal (1-0, 2-1, 3-2), then that would see Leicester and Man Utd on the same points, same goal difference and same goals scored.  Which would then go to the next tie-breaker, which is head to head.  With both sides having won one of the games, that would mean a playoff for the Champions League.

24 minutes ago, spork said:

Nah, I think we mostly know that next year will not be our year. It's the year after that will be ours :eyebrows:

I know most people talk down Man U's chances of anything next year (and I'd be happy with that as a Liverpool fan) but I really do think the team is better than is given credit for. There are weaknesses, of course, but with the attacking ability you have on the pitch I reckon you could have an entertaining year, in that you score boatloads of goals and play some really exhilarating attacking football at times but are just a bit too fragile defensively to win the league. I do honestly think that with Fernandes settled and now Pogba seemingly starting to give a crap that you could be top of the chasing pack next season.

Would be very happy to be very wrong, though :P

2 minutes ago, Plissken said:

If Man Utd beat West Ham 5-3 and then Leicester beat Man Utd by a single goal (1-0, 2-1, 3-2), then that would see Leicester and Man Utd on the same points, same goal difference and same goals scored.  Which would then go to the next tie-breaker, which is head to head.  With both sides having won one of the games, that would mean a playoff for the Champions League.

This season that sounds quite feasible too. 

20 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Close, but a playoff will only occur if Leicester then win 1-0 on Sunday - any of the other single-goal victories will hand the place to United on away goals, which is the next criterion.

Of course, it's no less likely to occur. 

In other football in a far flung land, the 10 Irish top flight clubs have joined 10 of the 12 Northern Irish counterparts in writing to their respective FAs to encourage them to submit a proposal for a joint league format to UEFA. It's a curious proposal. Both countries would operate their own league for the first half of the season, playing a double round robin, before joining together in the second half of the season - eight Irish, six NI. European qualification would be based only on games played against domestic sides, which may include those played in the second half of the season.

The IFA are opposed to the idea, out of concern that it could affect their status as an independent footballing nation, which is why the format tries to keep European places fixed domestically, which may also be a means of appeasing UEFA as it's a halfway house between a fully merged league, and a post-season tournament.

UEFA are generally quite insistent that member nations run their own leagues, hence the League of Wales became a thing in 1993. But that was 27 years ago. A lot has changed, the growth of the Champions League and the growing gap between the elite leagues - and the elite clubs within the elite leagues - may mean that countries bringing their top clubs together for a stronger "domestic" competition may be increasingly necessary. 

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Close, but a playoff will only occur if Leicester then win 1-0 on Sunday - any of the other single-goal victories will hand the place to United on away goals, which is the next criterion.

Of course, it's no less likely to occur. 

It'd be brilliant if that happened..... but then we won the Europa League which would mean the winner of that play off would miss out on the Champions League after all.  Lolz.

(I *THINK* this is correct....)

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

It'd be brilliant if that happened..... but then we won the Europa League which would mean the winner of that play off would miss out on the Champions League after all.  Lolz.

(I *THINK* this is correct....)

It's possible but unlikely - Chelsea would have to win the CL and finish 5th, while Wolves win the EL.

The playoff wouldn't be held until it's determined it's needed anyway.

3 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

Because that was against United you just know in the VAR room they were going "fuck fuck quick how do we.....fuccccck!"

As with Doherty last week, I have some sympathy with Pogba there.  With a load of older players suffering later life conditions, and football in general being rightfully concerned about concussion, it sends a weird message punishing players for protecting their heads.

1 minute ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

As with Doherty last week, I have some sympathy with Pogba there.  With a load of older players suffering later life conditions, and football in general being rightfully concerned about concussion, it sends a weird message punishing players for protecting their heads.

A boot and a football is a bit different. If you have any issue whatsoever with heading a football... then don’t play professional football.

1 minute ago, dizogg said:

A boot and a football is a bit different. If you have any issue whatsoever with heading a football... then don’t play professional football.

You're probably right, I'm clearly not an expert, but I think there was a link found with Geoff Astle's dementia and heading the ball.

Am I right in thinking that intent isn’t in the Handball rules anymore? I’m sure I’ve seen penalties given on VAR where the ball is blasted into an arm by the players side from a foot away. Hence why you often see centre backs squaring up with their arms behind their backs right? Anyway that was as clear cut as anything. 

3 minutes ago, dizogg said:

If you've ever played at a decent standard, properly trained players with good technique and very powerful legs can hit a ball very hard.

It's also instinctive to raise your arms up when something is travelling towards your head at a high velocity.

Yep.  I can't see how it's not a penalty there, if "protecting your head" becomes a legit defence for handball in the box then players will start getting coached to do it.  You need to consider how people will try and break any rule change before it gets implemented and this one would change the game fundamentally.  The false positives you'd get from time to time aren't ideal but it's better than other options I can think of. 

From a neutral point of view it would be amazing to see Man Utd and Leicester go into the final game level on points.  It's a bit annoying that they can't go in level on points and goal difference but if Man Utd fail to win tonight then there's a game for the ages on Sunday. 

Edit: or a draw. United having the draw and Leicester having ‘home advantage’ is probably ideal. 

Edited by Naysonymous

38 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Yep.  I can't see how it's not a penalty there, if "protecting your head" becomes a legit defence for handball in the box then players will start getting coached to do it.  You need to consider how people will try and break any rule change before it gets implemented and this one would change the game fundamentally.  The false positives you'd get from time to time aren't ideal but it's better than other options I can think of. 

From a neutral point of view it would be amazing to see Man Utd and Leicester go into the final game level on points.  It's a bit annoying that they can't go in level on points and goal difference but if Man Utd fail to win tonight then there's a game for the ages on Sunday. 

Edit: or a draw. United having the draw and Leicester having ‘home advantage’ is probably ideal. 

combination of that and the joy of that third relegation place could make for a fun day.