Football Thread 2019/2020

gospvg

Untrue! There is the battle for glorious 15th place that they have with us (Brighton)!

They're winning it at the moment but I hope Villa come out on top in the David Cameron Cup at the weekend and we might scrape a 0-0 against Burnley.

Who said the Premier League wasn't glamorous?

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Intent was never in the rules, AFAIK.

It was and still is.

The phrasing used to be simply that it was an offence if a player "deliberately handles the ball". That was it. Intent was everything.

Now, the law has an entire section dedicated to describing what handling the ball is. 

Handling the ball

For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball

• scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

• after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:

• scores in the opponents’ goal

• creates a goal-scoring opportunity

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:

• the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger

• the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)

• directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close

• if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger

• when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

Which is just a bit of a clusterfuck. There's so much discussion here on what is and isn't a handball that it's just confounding the players, the fans and the referees.

In the case of Pogba, it was pretty simple though - he deliberately handled the ball. Whether or not the specific circumstances merited it or not, that's the offence committed.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

You're probably right, I'm clearly not an expert, but I think there was a link found with Geoff Astle's dementia and heading the ball.

Geoff Astle used to clean the windows where my dad worked when I was a kid. He was a right mad cunt. But I think it’s key to state that the balls back then were several magnitudes heavier.

Im not saying it wouldn’t hurt, but duck, turn your head, move, you can’t stop it with your hand!

20 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Wonderful free kick but that was never a foul!

It's bad enough it's totally glossed over by the Sky Sports unbiased LFC TV team of Carragher, Souness and Barnes. We've got options for match day sound on/off. How about commentry on/off too? Bloody awful.

6 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Kepa's left the club.

For some reason that doesn't seem to have resulted in him leaving the pitch.

That's quite the fall from grace, considering he only took over as manager during last season's Caribou Cup final. 

5 minutes ago, Revival said:

It's bad enough it's totally glossed over by the Sky Sports unbiased LFC TV team of Carragher, Souness and Barnes. We've got options for match day sound on/off. How about commentry on/off too? Bloody awful.

Thats bollocks, they talked about it not being a foul repeatedly on the commentary. Do you need to repeatedly spoon-fed to you at half time as well?

1 minute ago, dizogg said:

Thats bollocks, they talked about it not being a foul repeatedly on the commentary. Do you need to repeatedly spoon-fed to you at half time as well?

Yes I do dizogg, and bollocks to you too!

Barnsley beat Brentford :omg:

They deserved it too. If Wigan's appeal against a 12 point deduction is not successful, they stay up.

Ollie Watkins had a really good chance to hit a winner before Barnsley scored. That miss could cost £150m. 

I love the Championship. 

Swansea sneak into the play offs on goal difference.

West Brom were lucky to go up. 

3 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Barnsley beat Brentford :omg:

They deserved it too. If Wigan's appeal against a 12 point deduction is not successful, they stay up.

Ollie Watkins had a really good chance to hit a winner before Barnsley scored. That miss could cost £150m. 

I love the Championship. 

Can’t see how Wigan can overturn the 12 point deduction as every other club who has suffered one would demand compensation for relegations suffered, revenue lost etc etc.

20 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Swansea sneak into the play offs on goal difference.

This is the astonishing part for me - it required a six-goal swing in goal difference for them to overtake Forest.  Forest lost 4-1 at home, with three goals in the last 15 minutes for Stoke, and Swansea won 4-1 away, with two goals in the last ten minutes.  Amazing for the Swansea fans, devastating for the Forest fans.

2 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

This is the astonishing part for me - it required a six-goal swing in goal difference for them to overtake Forest.  Forest lost 4-1 at home, with three goals in the last 15 minutes for Stoke, and Swansea won 4-1 away, with two goals in the last ten minutes.  Amazing for the Swansea fans, devastating for the Forest fans.

And it's not like Swansea fans are craving to return to the Premier League right now. I think we've already reached the peak of what our current squad is capable of right now, and we've not got the ownership and structure in place to build up a team that could survive a season in the PL. So rather than spend a season watching us getting hammered over and over again, a challenging but exciting season in the Championship would be much preferred. 

8 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Final day of the Championship season.  Nine of the top ten posts on /r/soccer are about a dead rubber between Liverpool and Chelsea. 

image.thumb.png.e7385ebea0ad1a4c25ec9cf681044aa2.png

Is that really surprising from an international audience like you have on Reddit?