Football Thread 2019/2020

gospvg

12 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

That's quite the fall from grace, considering he only took over as manager during last season's Caribou Cup final. 

11 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Haha could be. I never learned the name of that cup, that's how much I value and respect it. 

What is a Carabao anyway? 

I hate using sponsors names for the cups - I always call it the "League Cup" cos that's what it is.  I'm not going to call the FA Cup the "FA Cup sponsored by Barclays" or whatever it's called now.

12 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

What is a Carabao anyway? 

It's a water buffalo, if you want to know for reals.

Also, it's the name of the owner's rock band. Here he is! Apparently the band's popularity came first, then he started the drink company and cashed in.

41160.jpg

1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

I hate using sponsors names for the cups - I always call it the "League Cup" cos that's what it is.  I'm not going to call the FA Cup the "FA Cup sponsored by Barclays" or whatever it's called now.

It's the Emirates FA Cup. Heh. Always fun to see how successful a title sponsorship can be.

The fun thing about this is how many people on football twitter refer to the Premier League as "The Barclays" (or the Premiership), neither of which it's been in ages. That one really worked for them until the money the PL got from it became so insignificant compared to TV.

This has the advantage of everyone knowing what you'e talking about no matter how many deals are signed.

The exception used to be the Football League Trophy, which spent five glorious years as the Auto Windscreens Shield, completely obscurring the actual name of the competition.

just watching highlights from last night and Kepa is like the anti-Pickford - whereas Englandsbraveworldclass Pickford leaps like a spawning salmon at anything within 10 yards of either post or the bar Kepa is quite happy to watch things sail in that won't hit him as long as he doesn't need to move.

also why is Lampard wearing that padded quilt jacket in July at all times.

5 minutes ago, milko said:

It's the Emirates FA Cup. Heh. Always fun to see how successful a title sponsorship can be.

The fun thing about this is how many people on football twitter refer to the Premier League as "The Barclays" (or the Premiership), neither of which it's been in ages. That one really worked for them until the money the PL got from it became so insignificant compared to TV.

See, I vaguely remember when Barclays did sponsor it (after sponsoring the Premier League), but my mind generally fuzzes over sponsorship... apart from the Vauxhall Conference (I still call it that!).  And sponsorship of shirts.  So the Emirates' sponsorship of the FA Cup doesn't register with me, probably cos they're also the sponsor of THAT PUB TEAM ;) 

3 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

This has the advantage of everyone knowing what you'e talking about no matter how many deals are signed.

The exception used to be the Football League Trophy, which spent five glorious years as the Auto Windscreens Shield, completely obscurring the actual name of the competition.

Yeah.  I remember when the League Cup was the Coca-Cola Cup, and the Worthingtons Cup.  But it'll always be the League Cup to me.

9 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

See, I vaguely remember when Barclays did sponsor it (after sponsoring the Premier League)

nope! They never have. And only lately has it actually changed the name (instead of being "The FA Cup Sponsored By [X]" or whatever)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Cup#Sponsorship

god this isn't interesting is it. But I have to work with these people and it seeps into my brain. 

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Please Brighton, let us keep him forever

I don't know what's happening with him. At least we have a manager who is prepared to give the younger squad players more first team opportunity but he plays in a position where we have a lot of competition particularly with Matt Clarke returning from a decent Championship season aswell. I suspect we'll lose some over the summer but potentially not enough to give him the regular starts he will no doubt want.

See, I vaguely remember when Barclays did sponsor it (after sponsoring the Premier League), but my mind generally fuzzes over sponsorship... apart from the Vauxhall Conference (I still call it that!).  And sponsorship of shirts.  So the Emirates' sponsorship of the FA Cup doesn't register with me, probably cos they're also the sponsor of THAT PUB TEAM ;) 

Yeah.  I remember when the League Cup was the Coca-Cola Cup, and the Worthingtons Cup.  But it'll always be the League Cup to me.

milk cup :blah:

48 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Oh God I remember the "Rumbelows Cup" - yes the (very former) marketing manager should be sobbing in the corner!

What am I missing here?

Edit: Fun fact - I watched all of the build-up to the 1987 FA Cup final (back when both BBC and ITV screened it, but ITV used to show the mini 5-a-side game that happened before the main game - never knew why BBC didn't) and then the match through the window of a Rumbelows as I was locked out and my parents were out for the day. I was sat on a wall outside it, it was a long day.

Good game though.

4 hours ago, dizogg said:

Is that really surprising from an international audience like you have on Reddit?

Not surprising, but alarming.  /r/soccer publish their demographics annually, off the top of my head it’s very young (18-24) about 40% American, 20% UK & Ireland and the rest is spread throughout Europe and the Anglosphere.  You can see the American dominance every time Pulisic scores a goal because it’s voted straight to the top.  I guess I’m alarmed as it’s confirmation of what we all already know in that certain clubs are bigger than leagues and certain players are bigger than clubs.  Maybe that’s always been the case but as we continue to move to an online world (and COVID is definitely acting as a catalyst here) these changes are becoming both self fulfilling and easier to quantify.  At some point the product will be changed to satisfy the audience and that worries me because the audience just wants to see global brands thrashing token opposition.  

11 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Zenith Data Systems Cup was a better name.

Wasn't that the English "Super Cup", made up to replace the European competitions that the Football League teams were thrown out of?

17 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

This is the astonishing part for me - it required a six-goal swing in goal difference for them to overtake Forest.  Forest lost 4-1 at home, with three goals in the last 15 minutes for Stoke, and Swansea won 4-1 away, with two goals in the last ten minutes.  Amazing for the Swansea fans, devastating for the Forest fans.

A normal day at the office for the Forest fans I know.

That's had a few names:

(1984/85–1986/87) Freight Rover Trophy

(1987/88–1988/89) Sherpa Van Trophy

(1989/90–1991/92) Leyland DAF Cup

(1992/93–1993/94) Autoglass Trophy

(1994/95–1999/2000) Auto Windscreens Shield

(2000/01–2006/07) LDV Vans Trophy

(2007/08–2015/16) Johnstone's Paint Trophy

(2016/17–2018/19) Checkatrade Trophy

(2019/20–Present) Leasing.com Trophy

2 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Wasn't that the English "Super Cup", made up to replace the European competitions that the Football League teams were thrown out of?

Sort of. There was a separate Super Cup for one season, for the teams that should have been in Europe that year but weren't, but the Zenith/Simod Cup was one between all teams in the top two divisions. Officially known as the Full Members Cup, and it disappeared once English sides were allowed back in.

34 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

:lol:

I don’t understand this at all. Usually numbers are retired because the player had died or had a long career, this seems to be because he brought in a big  transfer fee.