Football Thread 2019/2020

gospvg

Oh yeah, I should probably note since we're on the topic that the FA Cup Final this year is actually the Heads Up FA Cup Final, which is a mental health charity thingy. So that's actually a fairly nice thing for the sponsors/FA to do.

18 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Sort of. There was a separate Super Cup for one season, for the teams that should have been in Europe that year but weren't, but the Zenith/Simod Cup was one between all teams in the top two divisions. Officially known as the Full Members Cup, and it disappeared once English sides were allowed back in.

I was going to ask why it's the Full Members Cup, but Wikipedia said it - full members of the Football League - the bottom two divisions were associate members with their own cup which is still going (the EFL Trophy).

25 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I don’t understand this at all. Usually numbers are retired because the player had died or had a long career, this seems to be because he brought in a big  transfer fee.

Well, he's gone to a better place now.

Dortmund is definitely nicer than Birmingham, right?

I don't get why Birmingham are retiring the number 22 shirt.  This kid hasn't done anything?

If I had to be honest, I don't get why any club retires numbers, they should be banned from doing so (change my mind ;)).

51 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

I don't get why Birmingham are retiring the number 22 shirt.  This kid hasn't done anything?

If I had to be honest, I don't get why any club retires numbers, they should be banned from doing so (change my mind ;)).

To be fair - Birmingham seemed hell bent on getting themselves relegated post lockdown so maybe  they’ve decided to honour Bellingham as the only player who wanted to go somewhere other than League One?

9 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Wasn't that the English "Super Cup", made up to replace the European competitions that the Football League teams were thrown out of?

I swear I didn’t have to look it up but I knew it was called the Screensport Super Cup after a satellite TV channel.

4 hours ago, Smoothy said:

I feel like 23 should’ve been Carragher’s. He named his charity the 23 foundation. Instead it wound up on Shaqiri’s back which is all kinds of weird :lol: 

1 hour ago, sprite said:

I feel like 23 should’ve been Carragher’s. He named his charity the 23 foundation. Instead it wound up on Shaqiri’s back which is all kinds of weird :lol: 

Nah, football clubs are hopefully hundreds of years old establishments, players (not matter how good or loyal) will be playing for 15 years max usually. You should always be prepared for new players to come and eclipse your previous players.

Bellingham is from Stourbridge so I guess they are duty bound to make that gag. 

Chatting to some Blues fans I know it seems Bellingham kinda did the club a solid.  He only turned 17 three weeks ago, he was on schoolboy terms until his 17th birthday and could have just not signed a professional contract which would have seem him able to leave the club as a free agent on July 1st.  He decided to sign a contract which then generated a fee which the club badly needed. I can see why they'd be incredibly grateful for this gesture, but I don't think turning him into the punchline for a joke was really a good way to repay him. 

Jordan Henderson has been named Football Writers POTY for some reason. I get that he's the captain of the best side, but come on.

edit: Rashford 3rd? Maddison? Jonny Evans?? Wan-Bissaka??? Not sure that football journalists deserve human rights to be honest.

I guess in fairness it depends how you judge these things. Henderson and Rashford have done a lot of good work off the pitch so maybe that counts for something in the eyes of some voters. De Bruyne has been the actual best player by miles though.

11 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Jordan Henderson has been named Football Writers POTY for some reason. I get that he's the captain of the best side, but come on.

edit: Rashford 3rd? Maddison? Jonny Evans?? Wan-Bissaka??? Not sure that football journalists deserve human rights to be honest.

It's like Sky's policy on naming a man of the match.

"Who scored the most important goal? Them."

It's one of those wanky nomination things where you are trying to prove you are a deeper thinker about something - don't go for the bloke who creates more assists than any defender has a right to, or the goalie, the CB, the blokes who score the goals. 

Oh no, go for the water carrier in midfield and when questioned talk about influence, bringing the team together and other such intangible guff.

"As grateful as I am I don't feel like I can accept this on my own," he said. 

"I owe a lot to so many people but none more so than my current team-mates, who have been incredible and deserve this every bit as much as I do."

"I accept [the award] on behalf of this whole squad, because without them I'm not in a position to be receiving this honour. These lads have made me a better player - a better leader and a better person.

"If anything I hope those who voted for me did so partly to recognise the entire team's contribution."

:wub: