Football Thread 2019/2020

15 hours ago, glb said:

VAR incidents themselves wouldn't be shown on screens, right? Rather the screen used to say 'VAR Check Pending' (or similar) 

They’re [at least talking about] showing more info about what exactly they’re checking for, and the outcome. And then (going by the Burnley page) potentially showing  the replay if it makes it clear what happens, I bet that doesn’t get used too often as they won’t want to get the crowd angry. 

• Upvote 1

I think thats the problem with football crowds - they are for the most part myopic angry idiots that even if you show them a clear replay that goes against their team they'll still swear it's a wrong call and use as an excuse to kick off and proof of bias against them.

A lot of people say they want right decisions (which VAR doesn't always give you) but really they mean the right decisions for their team. 

• Upvote 2

Yep. If the decision is correct then it doesn’t annoy me. Even if it goes against the team I support. Fairs fair.

What is annoying and very hard to take is for instance conceding an offside equaliser and dropping 2 points. Or having a goal wrongly judged to be offside. When we have the technology to not let that happen then we should use it.

• Upvote 3

Some Liverpool fan must have reviewed every decision that went for/against them last season to try and say with VAR they would have won the league, can only assume they would have been worse off points wise or we would all know about it by now! 

VAR has given me some of the most dramatic nights of football I’m ever likely to experience and as pointed out we would not have been in a champions league final without it, it also gave the most frustrating game I’ve ever watched - completely ruined a game of football in the FA cup, it’s finding the balance that’s the issue and on the WWC evidence they are a mile away from that at the moment.

Im still not convinced trying to perfect the game is better than the drama generated by bad decisions that equal out over a season....

Bad decisions don’t really equal out though, that’s a myth someone might cling to in the vain hope football is in any way consistently fair.

What VAR will hopefully give is a bit more parity across the league. And give referees the opportunity to not have to second guess themselves on key decisions in a split second.

22 hours ago, glb said:

VAR incidents themselves wouldn't be shown on screens, right? Rather the screen used to say 'VAR Check Pending' (or similar) 

Hopefully a month or so of constant usage will sort out the communications issues. And do think most of the rallying against VAR will largely get dissipate soon enough but early stages of the new season will see coverage dominated by its usage. Process was fine during the 2018 World Cup, but this WWC seems to have shown up some inconsistencies. All a learning process, just frustrating for the teams that are affected during a settling in period (unless it's Everton)

Anyway, here's some headlines for sale, £2.70 a pop:

VAR-dy Party (when Jamie scores a VAR-assisted penalty)

A Bridge Too VAR (Lampard's home debut ruined by a late VAR decision)

VAR for the Course (when a team benefits from VAR for the third game on the bounce)

VAR-City Blues (Man City get stung by VAR again)

Stick It Up Yer VARse (Sean Dyche reacts)

Etc

VARsene In (Arsenal start the season poorly with VAR decisions constantly going against them)

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

I don't think bad decisions even out over the season. Ask any of the teams not in the top six.

7 minutes ago, glb said:

Bad decisions don’t really equal out though, that’s a myth someone might cling to in the vain hope football is in any way consistently fair.

What VAR will hopefully give is a bit more parity across the league. And give referees the opportunity to not have to second guess themselves on key decisions in a split second.

Ohh I know and agree but that’s why football is great as you will get an opposing fan mugging you off with ‘they even out over the season’ when you get a shit decision knowing full well you said the same to them at some point!

11 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Ohh I know and agree but that’s why football is great as you will get an opposing fan mugging you off with ‘they even out over the season’ when you get a shit decision knowing full well you said the same to them at some point!

For sure; winning a game, even better a derby, with an iffy goal is one of life’s most enjoyable pleasures.

I suppose incidents like the (glorious) way Spurs rightly benefited from VAR and knocked Man City out of Europe will replace that over time.

• Upvote 1

That was a mile onside. Good VAR!

Cameroon’s players spotting a replay on the screen and having a bit of a protest, shows that even some players don’t really understand offside.

Isn't this the ref from the Scotland v Argentina game? I only caught about 5 minutes of that game and she was awful in that one too.

Disappointing that Cameroon have allegedly claimed FIFA are being racist towards them, too. Going to be a strange atmosphere this half, I feel.