EFL Championship 2019/2020

Mike1812

I have just sat through 90+2 minutes of one of the most boring, turgid games of football I’ve seen for a while. And, despite our league position, most of Fulham’s games this season have been pretty boring/turgid. 

Then Mitro scored a header we didn’t deserve and we all went fucking mental and I’ve lost my voice and what a stupid way to spend an evening. Football is inherently nonsense but it can be a right old laugh at times. 

I had forgotten what winning felt like. We missed a hatful of chances before Fletcher scrambled it over the line in the 94th minute. I always like it when you score late on against a time wasting team and see the panic and desperation in their eyes as they try to take the restart quickly. 

As night follows day a defeat follows a victory. Easily the worst first half I have had to endure at Hillsborough for a long time. 3-0 down and utterly outclassed by Derby who had movement, control and tactical awareness while we just ran around like headlines chickens gifting them goals. I am running out of patience with Monk.

33 minutes ago, Kieran said:

As night follows day a defeat follows a victory. Easily the worst first half I have had to endure at Hillsborough for a long time. 3-0 down and utterly outclassed by Derby who had movement, control and tactical awareness while we just ran around like headlines chickens gifting them goals. I am running out of patience with Monk.

How's Wickham getting on? 

He looked like he needed to get up to match fitness at Palace, but we were still a bit surprised that we sent him out given our limited striking options and he was integral to two goals in his first two games back.

11 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

How's Wickham getting on? 

He looked like he needed to get up to match fitness at Palace, but we were still a bit surprised that we sent him out given our limited striking options and he was integral to two goals in his first two games back.

Definitely not match fitness. Came on a sub yesterday and for  a reasonably big lad got knocked off the ball far too easily.

I can’t believe we are 2 points off the play offs despite drawing every game and just generally being a bit crap.

It is like no-one wants that 6th spot. Given we always mess up Leeds I suspect we will be in 6th at the end of next weekend then we have to go away to Bristol, Preston and Fulham which should probably be the end of it, but who knows.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Apparently 3 Charlton players have said they don't want to play. They'd be relegated if it came to PPG. 

They’re out of contract and don’t want to get injured. I don’t agree with it but they’re looking out for their futures. 
They would have played in April and May though then earnt moves over summer. 

16 hours ago, Baring said:

They’re out of contract and don’t want to get injured. I don’t agree with it but they’re looking out for their futures. 
They would have played in April and May though then earnt moves over summer. 

I think the issue is they are all out of contract on the 30th June so they'd either have to extend their contracts - which is probably not as simple as it would maybe seem (especially as I doubt they know for sure when/if the season will actually finish) and then run the risk of being injured near the end just as it runs out.

Obviously still a risk under normal circumstances, but I guess if you got injured on 30th April of the normal season - your club would still have to look after you for 2 months where as here if you extend you could get injured on the last day of the season and your extended contract runs out the next day.

Plus, given the intense amount of games to cram in, long break and lack of training time, I guess injuries are more likely?

5 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Just wanted to praise a couple of Birmingham city players at the moment. I imagine they are busy having returned from training but my dad's currently being treated for cancer and 3 of them have sent video messages wishing him well which has really helped boost his morale.

^_^

Juke, Keiftenbeld and Odin Bailey

Things like this show you sometimes that football isn't just solely money grabbing shits as it sometimes feels :)

That's great to hear, glad it's helped him, hope he pull through!

• 2 weeks later...

All set up nicely for tomorrow.

Wet Brom and Fulham not winning means a Leeds win will be massive for them in terms of going up.

If we win them we somehow find ourselves outside the play-off places on just Goal difference (unless we batter than and go proper 6th) which pickles my head as we’ve never looked like a play off team this season.

The league leaders away at a team that has caused them a fair bit of heartache over the last 20 years, but without the hostile atmosphere. 

Hopefully we’ll pipe in the full crowd audio from the 2002 cup game into the stadium and all the Leeds players will cower in the corner to scared to play ;-)

Took my eldest boy for a kickabout in the park at 9am this morning next to the Cardiff City stadium (it’s in 5 miles!)

Whole car park is surrounded by fencing with even stewards outside that early in front of the fencing in Lidl car park as they’ve been told to discourage any gatherings.

Suprised how many cars were in the actual car park, but enjoyed a brief sort of match day experience before coming home to watch it on TV. 

My mate managed to get a programme for us as well and put it through the door yesterday.

4E80BD52-6569-4CB6-910C-C0C9C4F0FC42.thumb.jpeg.753b47cea22b4c59a6fa7bb4e29293e4.jpeg

This is typical of us - do nothing, somehow not concede and then ruthlessly punish the opposition as soon as they make an error.

Nearly all our home games are draws or upsetting the teams that’s play the nicest football.

I don't follow Hull, but they've made this a much more amazing story than they needed to. 

The Athletic write an article about Hull and invite them to comment. Hull decide to reveal the journalist's data and say, "We have redacted certain names and financial information in his email in the interest of preserving the confidentiality of the parties involved." and publish their own response.

One problem, they didn't delete the redacted parts, just stuck a black box over the bits they didn't want people to read. So anyone who copy/pastes the document can read the whole un-redacted version. The linked pdf is also named /Athletic-2.pdf and you can change that to -1.pdf and find another version, I've not been curious enough to see what they've changed between versions though.

The full text has also been copied into the reddit thread if you're curious to read about Hull's management failings. Thanks to Hull's own team for revealing this for everyone to read.

Hopefully we havent played the Warnock card too late.

Writing has been on the wall for a while, Woodgate has been an appalling appointment. His team selection on Saturday was absolutely baffling, after 100+ days we somehow ended up with our reserves on the pitch and our first team on the bench. Might as well have resigned at that point, genuinely cant see any other reason he would have put that team out, other than he wanted sacking and paying off.

I think its just an 8 game deal for Warnock, our remaining fixtures are fairly kind, hopefully he will do a good job and have a crack at next season with us. Dark dark days when you are happy about a Warnock appointment.