rllmuk
Mike1812

EFL Championship 2019/2020

27 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Pleased to see João go to Reading for a decent fee of 5 million plus a 20% sell on. He was just never consistent enough. If we can now get money for Rhodes and bring in Hector from Chelsea I will be more than satisfied.

I’m hoping Rhodes stays, perhaps somewhat rashly. He’s looked good in pre-season, he should have earned two penalities and had a good chance against Espanyol and the new signings broadly suit him. I think it’s worth the gamble. 

Joao has never impressed me. He’s fine, but you never see him on the team sheet and feel more confident because he’s there. £5m is fine.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Kemar Roofe off to Anderlecht took me by surprise. I’d have thought of him as a key player for Leeds and he’s gone to Belgium? 

In the last year of his contract so we had to cash in. I'm guessing there's a mad search for a replacement going on right now

13 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

In the last year of his contract so we had to cash in. I'm guessing there's a mad search for a replacement going on right now

You better hurry, Reading are still after a striker and they seem to want anyone and everyone.

Phillips stays! Best result of deadline day. Nketiah will hopefully be a good Roofe replacement and a backup keeper is good news. Not too bad. 

Why we’ve loaned Bobby Reid to Fulham is anyone’s guess.

Also haven’t shipped out a lot of players frozen out last year/out of favour, but signed loads more so not sure what is going on.

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Why we’ve loaned Bobby Reid to Fulham is anyone’s guess.

Also haven’t shipped out a lot of players frozen out last year/out of favour, but signed loads more so not sure what is going on.

That does seem to be an odd one.

I thought when you signed him he'd be a great player for you if you happened to go down.

So weird that we signed Mooy but Huddersfield also gave him an extension. I assume they're gambling on us wanting to sign him on a permanent deal once the loan spell is up. It feels like they've let one of their better players go though which probably isn't what they need right now.

That's putting it mildly :lol:. The natives are incredibly restless right now.

I assume no-one would match our valuation of Mooy in this window, we didn't want to lose him for free next year (mention on the official site of us having a further year option when he signed his last contract mysteriously disappeared yesterday) and, to his credit, he didn't want to fuck us over. I can't knock him at all for wanting to stay in the Premier League, he's one of the few who's undoubtedly good enough and hasn't publicly acted the twat over the last year like Billing, Zanka, Lossl etc. Probably the best player I've ever seen at Town but he's no use to us if his head isn't 100% here. He'll be a very good signing for Brighton if the system suits him and you can get away with him always being fucked for the first game after international breaks.

This window is looking as disastrous for us as the one last summer. Although we bought very poorly in the Premier League thankfully we didn't go shit or bust like Fulham and were assured weeks ago that with the parachute payments covering wages and running costs as they should we'd be profitable this year. No issues with that, I wouldn't want to see us putting our future at risk by chucking that money at transfers as so many do. But after two years in the top flight, getting most of the big earners off the books and bringing in £20m+ worth of fees since that was said, it's a bit bewildering that our budget seems to be less than Chris Powell had in 2015. We've spent less than a million - a lad from League 2, one from the Conference, one from the German lower leagues, Tommy Elphick on a free and a couple of Premier League youngsters on loan. We still don't even have a recognised left-back.

Pretty typical of us that we could come down from the Premier League having not overspent yet still somehow not have a pot to piss in.

• Upvote 2

I read somewhere that Siewert isn't making himself popular though, either, is he?  I mean, it's a tough situation to come into let alone following on from a club legend but the few vibes I've heard about haven't been positive.

• Upvote 1

It's a hard situation to make sense of really, so many things have gone wrong on and off the pitch and not all of it within our control, such as Dean Hoyle's illness that has lead to him sadly passing on the reigns. As much as our fans have a tendency (like most) to try to boil things down to one scapegoat at a time there's a lot of blame to go around and a fair amount has to fall on Hoyle and Wagner, as beloved as they still are for their personalities and what they'd achieved previously.

Within all that though, it's true Siewert hasn't exactly endeared himself to everyone since he arrived. Given the situation he was put in last season and the level of stuff that's come out about the players acting like dickheads (supposedly seven of them asked to leave as soon as Wagner did and three of those spoke publicly about it in the press during the season) I think most were prepared to at least give him a fresh chance but that first game showed so many worrying signs, including a complete lack of any sort of basic shape which you'd think would be the bare minimum a decent coach would instill. It doesn't help that he comes across as very arrogant when he's done literally nothing in the game to back it up so far.

Personally I thought it was stupid to appoint him when we did if we expected him to be the long-term solution but even taking everything into account he hasn't shown many signs of being the right man thus far. Apparently he's very highly thought of within the German FA so must have something about him but whether that translates to this job remains to be seen.

Fine win for Wednesday today. We looked comfortable and although it wasn’t a great game we never looked in danger of conceding and and now sit top of the table. Fletcher’s goal was ace and 28k attendance was pleasing.

• Upvote 1

Have you guys got a permanent manager yet?

Leeds should have won comfortably but didn't take their chances. Sounds worryingly familiar. 

31 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Have you guys got a permanent manager yet?

Leeds should have won comfortably but didn't take their chances. Sounds worryingly familiar. 

I would love us to give it to our caretaker manager Lee Bullen full time. He knows the players and they seem to respect him.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:30, Butters said:

What's Dacour like @Ork1927? Just signed for my lot.

Sorry - bit late to reply to this - he was okay for us, but didn't get much of a look in at times.

• Upvote 1

Siewert's gone then, feel sorry for him because he was struggling way out of his depth and it shouldn't have gone on anywhere near this long. We were basically already down, but would any other Premier League club have appointed someone whose only senior job was getting sacked from the German 4th division?

I'm not convinced anything much will change because he really needs to be followed out the door by practically everyone who's been involved in our football decision-making process for the last couple of years as well as half the squad.

We desperately need someone with a bit of experience but I'll be surprised if we don't end up giving it to Mark Hudson or something.

Took my 9 year old to Reading yesterday for his first away game so a 3-0 hammering was the perfect start to what looks like a downward turn for Cardiff.

Early days, but we look in a bit of trouble, as Warnock appears to have gone full Warnock and our entire team seems to mainly consist of lumbering giants with no pace. I'll defend us in our promotion season two years ago as we were capable of playing some good stuff amongst our brute forcing our way through games, but yesterday we were useless against Reading's impressive skillful new signings. Should have been 5-0, but then if one of our long throws into the box had gone in then who knows.

Dunno what will happen on Wednesday against a wounded Huddersfield, but I'm not thinking Warnock will be getting a final promotion in his final year at the moment.

• Empathy 1

To 

13 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Took my 9 year old to Reading yesterday for his first away game so a 3-0 hammering was the perfect start to what looks like a downward turn for Cardiff.

Early days, but we look in a bit of trouble, as Warnock appears to have gone full Warnock and our entire team seems to mainly consist of lumbering giants with no pace. I'll defend us in our promotion season two years ago as we were capable of playing some good stuff amongst our brute forcing our way through games, but yesterday we were useless against Reading's impressive skillful new signings. Should have been 5-0, but then if one of our long throws into the box had gone in then who knows.

Dunno what will happen on Wednesday against a wounded Huddersfield, but I'm not thinking Warnock will be getting a final promotion in his final year at the moment.

To be fair, that was probably the best football Reading have played since the days when Steve Coppell was our manager.

The signings we have made have all been really impressive so far and if we continue to improve once they all start to gel, I really believe we have to be a good outside bet for promotion this season.

Wednesday top of the league and our free gift from Colin bags his second goal of the season. So good to see a Wednesday side with some pace.

2 hours ago, Kieran said:

Wednesday top of the league and our free gift from Colin bags his second goal of the season. So good to see a Wednesday side with some pace.

You guys are off to a good start :)

We got our second win under our belts last night with a 2 nil win over Barnsley.

I thought for much of the first half that it was going to be a boring nil nil draw. Our defense shut them out pretty well but then our attack didn't create much in way of clear cut chances.

Second half they came out flying for 10 minutes or so and I thought hey, here we go again. The half settled down and we got our first goal closely followed by an enjoyable second goal that was chipped over the keeper.

Montero came on for 20 minutes or so as well and he looked exciting, had the Barnsley defenders in tatters when he tried to take them on which was nice to see. I've spoken to a few West Brom fans though that say whilst he is great on his day he can be incredibly hit and miss.

Onto a tough game at Swansea the weekend.

• Upvote 1

Montero has three good games a season, normally in the first two months. Then when the it gets cold his form goes to shit and he becomes perma injured. 

12 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

Montero has three good games a season, normally in the first two months. Then when the it gets cold his form goes to shit and he becomes perma injured. 

Ah so we have replaced like for like then. (Jaques Maghoma is much of the same). Plays great for the first month and great for the last but everything in between he's just there to make up the numbers.

Jack Butland is having a nightmare away to Stoke.

Can't see Nathan Jones lasting much longer there.

• Upvote 2

On 09/08/2019 at 12:23, Rsdio said:

Apparently he's very highly thought of within the German FA so must have something about him but whether that translates to this job remains to be seen.

Out of interest where does that rumour stem from? Yes, he got an instant gig with their youth team set up, after he got his coaching badges but they actually demoted him from the u18 team to the u17s. His following stint with Rot Weiss Essen was downright catastrophic. He didn't set the world alight with VfL Bochums U19 and he was hardly one of the better managers of Dortmunds U23.

There were big question marks in the german press when he got the job in Huddersfield and fans never thought well of him wherever he'd had been before! To me this seemed like a big punt a the time. you can't fault the guy for trying and I am sure he was paid good money for the gig too!

Bad time to ask to be honest, talking about football's the last thing I feel like doing right now! It mainly came from him getting the job there as well as Klopp talking up his qualities and reputation as an up-and-coming coach back in Germany. Entirely possible he was just being polite though and I don't think any of us fans knew Siewert was demoted whilst working with the youth setup either, I can't remember hearing anyone mention that. We knew it went very badly at Essen though because a few of their fans told us in no uncertain terms.

Giving him the job always smacked of laziness, hoping that lightning would strike twice (or even three times, given Farke at Norwich.) I couldn't help but wonder if, having had two of their youth coaches nicked by English clubs, Dortmund decided to prank the next one to come along.

• Upvote 1