rllmuk
neoELITE

EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Typical. We beat the top two and then lose 3-1 to MK Dons who are 21st. Probably the result of playing so many games in a short space of time if anything else.

A spiffing 2-1 win over an absolutely awful Stevenage side yesterday.  Other than Mackail-Smith, Stevenage were truly horrible to watch.  The back four simply kicked the ball clear as far as possible at every opportunity and we totally dominated the first half with one on ones and hitting the post.  We should have been two, three or four up and we took the lead with a deflected cross that lobbed the keeper.  We're really suffering through a lack of strikers right now.  We went in 1-0 up at half time and then the second half started and Stevenage somehow scored. No idea how.

And then the shithousery began. Graham Westley is a weasel.  They're like Wycombe without any good players.  Every tackle resulted in histrionics and at one point two physios came on. they were dreadful.  5 minutes extra time and we scored in the 96th to raptures around the ground and 11,000 people all chanting "Fuck off Westley".  Brilliant scenes.  Our winner was a right scrappy goal lumped into the box from a free kick.

We played some special football at times but every now and again, it's good to win ugly.

11,000+ at the game, we've got Swindon on Wednesday and I'm expecting a sell out now we've got our new grandstand open to 100% for that one. We had 75% capacity yesterday and it looked great.

pafc.thumb.jpg.f09eca8ad5c4e88542fd377d53bc8d11.jpg

• Upvote 1

That new stand looks the biz. 11k attendence too.  Only one to go down this year from L2 but Stevenage could be that one.  You are welcome to receive Yeovil Town in exchange, but it could be Barrow or several others, impossible to predict National League results.

Just now, Cosmic_Guru said:

That new stand looks the biz. 11k attendence too.  Only one to go down this year from L2 but Stevenage could be that one.  You are welcome to receive Yeovil Town in exchange, but it could be Barrow or several others, impossible to predict National League results.

We're going up to League 1

:omg:

I wouldn't want to sit in the bottom tier when it's raining though.

Looks like we're signing Mo Faal from Enfield.

He's Gambian and has been linked with Norwich, Watford and a handful of other clubs. He's playing in the 7th tier. 

This one's an interesting signing. He's playing way below his potential apparently. 

Medical today/tomorrow.

Looks like we might see a gate of 17000 today. That's crazy for League 2. Our recent record is 17500 in the all seater era. That was against Leeds in the Championship.

Looking forward to it.

Lost 1-2. We really need a centre forward. Three one on ones came to nothing. Next home game is Exeter. 

The stadium looked brilliant today as it was almost full. 

Swindon should go up if they keep Doyle.

2nd at the turn of the year. I'd have bitten your arm off for that at the start of the season. 

Held out at FGR after going down to 10 men early in the 2 nd half.

Argyle busy making friends with their arrogance, as always. 

Screenshot_20200102-103301_Facebook.jpg

Our media team aren't well liked by our own fans. I did see that and think it's something a manager would pin up in the dressing room.

Away fans should always be welcome. They probably put £30k into our bank yesterday.

A big nice win. Recalling Luke Jephcott was a good move as he scored two. I really want him to do well as he's one of our own.

Into the play offs. A game in hand. Our next few games are against mid table sides 

Superb.

We won away at Carlisle. An 800 round trip and we took 567 fans who saw us win 0-3. Up to joint third. We've won 5 out of the last 6 and are looking good. Carlisle hadn't conceded a goal at home for over 7 hours before today. 

We took Luke Jephcott back from his loan at Truro and he's scored four in two. It's great to see a youth team player doing well. He's only started two League games. 

• Upvote 1

A bit quiet in here. 

Obviously, turning up at 3pm today for a formulaic win. It was going to be a walk in the park. Mansfield should have been 0-4 up at half time and emptied the ground.  They missed six one on one chances.  Naturally, we scored in the first half half from a set piece.  Amazing ball in and Canavan scores a towering downward header al a Gullit.  We then went 2-0 up with a penalty. When Joe Edwards is running away from goal, not in control of the ball, don't elbow him in the back and shove him over.  The Mansfield team almost lynched their stupid centre half. GOAL.  They went 2-1 after that with a ridiculous, press the wrong button on FIFA goal.  I need to see it again as it just came out of nowhere; hit the bar, hit our keeper, hit the net.  It might be goal of the season.  We hit them again in injury time with a counter attack.  3-1. Happy with the result but how we won that, I have no idea.

I thought we deserved to lose and everyone walking out the ground today were commenting how lucky we were.  We didn't deserve to win but we're joint third.  We've won 6 of the last 7.  Promotion beckons.

It is a tad quiet.

Pompey won 1-0 at Bolton. Nothing to write home about considering that we were under the cosh for pretty much the last 10-15 mins of the game. Bolton probably deserved a point but it seems we've found a bit of a gem in Alex Bass. A homegrown academy goalkeeper that has broken into the first team and performed really well since. That's the thing with KJ. He will always give young players a chance and I think the owners are pleased too as they've invested heavily in the academy as well. It's starting to pay dividends.

So we're up to 7th and only goal difference is keeping us out of the playoff spots. I still have hope that if we maintain decent form we have a chance at that second promotion spot. Wycombe are far from assured at the moment.

I do think Rotherham are the best team in the division though. I think they will win the league outright.

5 wins and 3 losses in 8 for Wrexham has the table looking a bit better now than it did when we were rock bottom at the end of November. Notably, Ebbsfleet and Chorley are starting to look a little detached in 23rd and 24th and sides in poorer form than us like Dagenham and Redbridge have been sucked down into the relegation fight.

I did witness the worst performance I've ever seen against Aldershot the Saturday before last, but was encouraged by our 3-0 victory against Woking at the weekend. Defensively we had to stay resilient for a couple for key periods and we were pretty lively going forward throughout. New attacking midfield signing from Stoke Jarvis played a big part in this with a great debut. Our away form is dreadful and the away games we have left are mostly against the top sides in the division, so I think we'll probably have to rely quite heavily on more home performances like that to achieve safety.  But at this point in time, as long as we keep our key players fit,  I'm hopeful that we'll just about do it.

The fist goal by Summerfield was alright by the way. We've had a monumentally shit season, but at least 1/3 of our goals scored have been amazing. 

• Upvote 2

Luke Summerfield's goalscoring record is nothing to shout about but not surprised with that @Fatsam - when he scores, they're usually cracking goals. 

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Luke Summerfield's goalscoring record is nothing to shout about but not surprised with that @Fatsam - when he scores, they're usually cracking goals. 

He took a decent penalty later on in the  match too and very nearly got a hat trick. He was really good at the weekend and back to the player we had in the first months of last season before the Christmas period that year nearly destroyed him. 32 isn't mega old, but he does struggle to play well game after game and visibly benefits from time off. Maybe we should only play him in home games from now on.

1 hour ago, Fatsam said:

He took a decent penalty later on in the  match too and very nearly got a hat trick. He was really good at the weekend and back to the player we had in the first months of last season before the Christmas period that year nearly destroyed him. 32 isn't mega old, but he does struggle to play well game after game and visibly benefits from time off. Maybe we should only play him in home games from now on.

I worked with his Mum years ago until his Dad went to Southampton and then Sheffield Wednesday with Paul Sturrock. So I've followed Luke's career a bit. He was a kid in the youth team at Argyle at the time 

His Dad was a brilliant player for us.

We haven't had a home match for 3 weeks and now another gap is opening up in February owing to FAT fixture arrangements.  

Our bizarre but hugely enjoyable purple patch over the holiday period - 4 wins on the trot with an aggregate score of 14-5, including some absolutely scintillating stuff ("South London Brazil"), has clearly come to an end with zero goals for in the last 2 away fixtures.  Hopefully we can keep a little distance now from the bottom clubs - Chorley and Ebbsfleet do indeed begin to look detached and others have been sucked into the quagmire, so all being well my pre season prediction will turn out to have been stunningly prescient.

We have signed a new centre half, Coby Rowe, from Haringey to fill the gap in the squad left by skipperJamie Collin's retirement.  I hope our 2 loan signings - Louis John and Nik Tzanev - are here for the rest of the season since they have really helped steady the ship defensively.

17 hours ago, merman said:

Ipswich back up to third with a great away win

And the potential to go top if they win and Rotherham lose the next game :-)

• Upvote 1

I'm remaining wary. Cov are having a cracking season and 25 games gone we're three points behind Rotherham with a game in hand, but the last time I felt confident was Tony Mowbray's season where we were up at the top and flying but from 27 games dipped dramatically and lost 11 of the remaining games to finish 8th. I've come to expect this of us so hopefully I'll spend the next 20 games waiting for the slump that never comes

On 22/01/2020 at 10:01, Cosmic_Guru said:

I hope our 2 loan signings - Louis John and Nik Tzanev - are here for the rest of the season since they have really helped steady the ship defensively.

Yes they are, so thats something.  Poor 0-0 draw v a nasty fouling time wasting Solihull side with a weak referee.  Resulted in 3 rucks at the end of the game. We created no real goal chances and they blasted at least 4 balls over the stand behind the goal.  Only 10 points required now to stay up.

On 22 January 2020 at 13:22, MikeBeaver said:

And the potential to go top if they win and Rotherham lose the next game :-)

And that's what happened :D

• Upvote 1

2nd in the table Harrogate Town who had won 5 in a row without conceding a goal today hosted the team with the worst away record in the league who hadn't won on an artificial pitch in 11 1/2 years of conference football.

Something like a 2-0 Wrexham victory was inevitable. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Yes they are, so thats something.  Poor 0-0 draw v a nasty fouling time wasting Solihull side with a weak referee.  Resulted in 3 rucks at the end of the game. We created no real goal chances and they blasted at least 4 balls over the stand behind the goal.  Only 10 points required now to stay up.

50 should do it, but possibly only because three will get relegated this season.

Fylde will surely pick up a bit at some point though. They've got the money to throw at it. 

22 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

2nd in the table Harrogate Town who had won 5 in a row without conceding a goal today hosted the team with the worst away record in the league who hadn't won on an artificial pitch in 11 1/2 years of conference football.

Something like a 2-0 Wrexham victory was inevitable. 

Brilliant result for you.  Seems to happen quite often in this league - an unfancied side getting a surprisingly good away result.

Great win for Pompey today in the FA Cup. Also good to know that our squad matches up well against Championship teams. I know Barnsley haven't exactly been in stellar form and probably weren't at full strength but we created a lot of chances today and played pretty well.

I knew Conor Chaplin would score against us as well! Mind you, he's setting the championship alight right now. 10 goals in 15 games and won the latest player of the month. 

I'm pleased for him as he was very highly rated as a teenager and everyone was saying he was going to be a great player. When he was with us, though, he was still pretty raw and would blow hot and cold. It's good to see him finally realise his potential as he could have easily fallen by the wayside without the right coaching.

When he did score for us, he would more often than not pull something amazing out of the bag. Check out the second goal here, about 1 min in:

• Upvote 4

7 wins from 8 and we're now third. Tuesday we're at home to Crawley and then we play Newport on Saturday at home. Ryan Hardie, on loan from Blackpool has scored 3 goals in an hour. That's some record.

Attendance yesterday was 3,600 and we took over 1,000. 

It's looking good right now.

• Upvote 3

An ugly 1-0 home win against the physical long ball tactics of Newport. We've gone into the top three. 

This month is packed with fixtures.